MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Cooper's Tavern

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Cooper's Tavern

Postby kulgar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 am

I searched and didn't find a thread on Cooper's. I was there at the opening for a networking event that was a zoo and hadn't been back (too many restaurants, too little time).

THE LAMB SANDWICH is delicious with tomato "jam" to add to the sweetness of a large portion of lamb on good bread. If you are a carnivore, you should give it a try.

The wine list is balanced, food wines and a couple New World fruit bombs.

The frites are good but not Brasserie V quality, more like Graze.

The owner (or part owner, it's a Food Fight restaurant) greets you at the door and enjoys the interaction and your comments. That is not common and to me adds a great touch when dining. And he doesn't tell you "I"m Da Owner", you have to figure it out.

The locals appear to invade after work but it's an alternative to Icon when hitting the Overture if you get there early enough.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Cooper's Tavern

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 am

Well, there's this one, but who's counting?

Beyond that Reuben (still the best I've had), the brisket sandwich with bacon aioli is terrific.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 am

New additions include a pork cutlet with sweet potato purree and cranberry sauce. The portion is rather small, but it is very, very good.

There is also cornish game hen. You get half a bird and a goodly portion of stuffing.

One thing they gotta figure out with that place sooner or later: it's just too dang loud. The ceiling and brick walls reflect all sound and make it quite painful when it's crowded. Compare a similar sized bar like Paul's Club where you've got a big fake tree soaking up a lot of the noise.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:One thing they gotta figure out with that place sooner or later: it's just too dang loud. The ceiling and brick walls reflect all sound and make it quite painful when it's crowded. Compare a similar sized bar like Paul's Club where you've got a big fake tree soaking up a lot of the noise.

This.

The lady-friend and I like the place, but can't hold a conversation while sitting across the table from one-another.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

The noise is definitely an issue. We were planning on stopping by Monday night after the Dylan show for a drink but after seeing the crowd I advised otherwise. I love the beer selection at Cooper's but it really isn't the place for a quiet drink when the place is well populated.

I've managed to get the snug a couple of times now, and that really helps with the noise issue. The only problem with the snug is the table is pretty thin, so if you've got a group of six with everyone ordering meals the table space quickly becomes a premium.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:13 pm

One thing they gotta figure out with that place sooner or later: it's just too dang loud. The ceiling and brick walls reflect all sound and make it quite painful when it's crowded. Compare a similar sized bar like Paul's Club where you've got a big fake tree soaking up a lot of the noise.

The tables on the banquette are WAY too close together as well, adding to the noise. I almost set my ass in some guy's plate trying to get to our table, and I'm not that big. I heard his conversation better than ours. And then they have a fricken minstrel band (shoot me now) in there making it impossible to hear yourself think, forget hearing the person across the table from you.

I really want to like this place, but the few times we've been there have been so awful on the ambiance scale that they outweighed the great food and beverage.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm

barney wrote:I really want to like this place, but the few times we've been there have been so awful on the ambiance scale that they outweighed the great food and beverage.

It is GREAT if it's half-full or less. Try to go sometime a bit off-peak.

Bathrooms ... needs more bathrooms, too. Man, the more I think about it, this place has all the right pieces to be perfect, it's just in too small of a footprint. Maybe in a couple years it can break through the east wall into the space currently occupied by that new pet supply store.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ericj » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:04 pm

i really like the grilled cheese sandwich. it comes with a shot of tomato soup very nice touch. the brunch is pretty solid too they had a salmon benedict that was pretty tasty. it's worth a stop every now and then but i think the square is at its limit for gastropubs.
ericj

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Agreed about everything said so far. Love the food and beer; pretty much hate the noise and wait for the bathroom.

I've ranted about this previously, but while Cooper's is easily the loudest restaurant of recent memory, the trend seems to be the same everywhere-- hard surfaces and tall ceilings with exposed duct work.

There is a simple solution: sound absorbing panels installed on the walls and ceiling to blend with the decor. Also goes for live music venues. It's not that difficult or expensive.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:06 am

I didn't comment on the noise level altho I also thought it beyond the pale when the tavern filled up. My assumption is that it raises the hormone levels of everyone in the place and, like skydiving, a percentage of people get off on it. Probably younger people.....there's ACTION here!

A single strip of accoustic absorbent (and optionally colorful) tile around the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling sucks up an amazing amount of energy and quiets a room significantly. It really doesn't take a lot of money to reduce the problem (if the owners think it's a problem).

We sat in the window and had more space, an enjoyable view and slightly less cross talk. I guess we can wait and just enjoy it on the sidewalk a few months a year.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Weak search engine, sorry for second post

Postby kulgar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:12 am

TheBookPolice, I used the search function on this site and couldn't find the thread you noted. I just did it again and only got the current thread. Do you have some secret technique for finding search objects with this crappy engine?
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Weak search engine, sorry for second post

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 am

kulgar wrote:TheBookPolice, I used the search function on this site and couldn't find the thread you noted. I just did it again and only got the current thread. Do you have some secret technique for finding search objects with this crappy engine?

Well, when you leave the apostrophe out (as it does not appear in the strictly proper punctuation of the restaurant), the previous thread pops right up. But even searching [COOPER'S] results in a hit--though it is 4 or 5 pages into the search results.

So no, no secrets. Dare I suggest that it was operator error?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39 am

The Sconnie Egg is fantastic. I went a bunch when they first opened, but as the vibe grew more and more crowded and annoying--not sure how to describe it besides maybe "young professionals networking/flirting over pints" it lost appeal for me. Great to see the owner always there, though, and I probably should stop by again for lunch.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Weak search engine, sorry for second post

Postby kulgar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
kulgar wrote:TheBookPolice, I used the search function on this site and couldn't find the thread you noted. I just did it again and only got the current thread. Do you have some secret technique for finding search objects with this crappy engine?

Well, when you leave the apostrophe out (as it does not appear in the strictly proper punctuation of the restaurant), the previous thread pops right up. But even searching [COOPER'S] results in a hit--though it is 4 or 5 pages into the search results.

So no, no secrets. Dare I suggest that it was operator error?

Through exhaustive research I've validated that if one searches on the "Restaurant Review" forum for "Cooper" one can indeed find six hits from the previous thread. If one enters "Cooper Tavern", not so much, zero. If one enters "Cooper's Tavern", the punctuation the Irish should use, only the existing thread pops.

If one searches the entire site without first enterring the "Forums" and "Restaurant Reviews", the original thread and the existing thread both pop. So it's user error to go to the proper forum and get worse results than searching the whole site?

Google pops them all searching either "Cooper Tavern" or "Cooper's Tavern" which strengthens my point that the search on this site sucks. I'll just use Google from now on, it's faster and you don't have to match keywords EXACTLEY.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Why not just use the Search TDPF field at the top of the page? That way, user error is taken out of the equation entirely. Say, for example, someone placing a review thread in the Eats Talk section, or misplaced apostrophes.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews