MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

When Univ Ave construction is done

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: When Univ Ave construction is done

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Crockett wrote:Perhaps if traffic sucked that bad all the time we'd put some tax dollars into solutions beyond more roads and more cars

Wouldn't a better solution be to build better roads in the first place? It really is possible to construct roads that last more than just a couple of cold seasons, they're just more expensive upfront.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Crockett wrote:Perhaps if traffic sucked that bad all the time we'd put some tax dollars into solutions beyond more roads and more cars

Wouldn't a better solution be to build better roads in the first place? It really is possible to construct roads that last more than just a couple of cold seasons, they're just more expensive upfront.

Shh! This is how libertarians try to dismantle centralized government in liberal towns. In conservative towns, they scare everyone about taxes and people confiscating guns. In liberal towns, they bemoan the reliance on roads and municipal services and the cars that in turn rely on them.

Just let him ply his wares; stop making sense.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Crockett wrote:Perhaps if traffic sucked that bad all the time we'd put some tax dollars into solutions beyond more roads and more cars (more warming, more wars).

That's pretty funny. Everybody knows what we'd really do is spend more on more and bigger roads.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 am

MYGODWILLTHEYNEVERFINISH!?

I am getting a bit anxious about the congestion that target is going to create as well.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 am

kissyfish wrote:MYGODWILLTHEYNEVERFINISH!?

I am getting a bit anxious about the congestion that target is going to create as well.

Perhaps Target will finally drive better traffic management in that area. I'm so sick and tired of seeing idiots turn against the cross light, at Midvale and University, while they're talking on the damn cell!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 am

Bwis53 wrote:
kissyfish wrote:MYGODWILLTHEYNEVERFINISH!?

Perhaps Target will finally drive better traffic management in that area. I'm so sick and tired of seeing idiots turn against the cross light, at Midvale and University, while they're talking on the damn cell!

While I am all for better traffic management, I don't think it will stop idiots on cell phones from doing stupid things. I also find it hard to visualize what "better traffic management" in that area would look like. There are an awful lot of businesses attracting an awful lot of traffic in a pretty small area.

What could be done differently....that is also realistic?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:49 am

gargantua wrote:I also find it hard to visualize what "better traffic management" in that area would look like.

Something like this:

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm hoping that, once construction is really complete, the timing on the traffic signals is checked. It is frequently kaput. Signals, making it safer for pedestrians to cross University, or a pedestrian bridge is needed.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Looks like they are almost done. The Eastbound lanes were open this morning except for the left turn lanes. They added 3 stop lights

-one near Univ Station with a left turn lane, both directions.
-one for ped crossing at UW going West near Discovery Center.
-one for ped crossing at UW going East near Discovery Center and Union South.

Yes we could use Charles Bronson on traffic patrol.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:52 am

They are pouring the curbs! Victory is almost mine!

Oh I will rejoice.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Now it will be thoroughly Gammonized. You can attain gridlock (not the congressional kind) without having to drive out to the Mauls.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 am

I am worrying about that.

But with the new Target, there should be absolutely no need to have to drive to do my errands. Though I only end up at target about once a year, to buy storage totes, or some other plastic stuff. Now I will just have to dodge the dangerous traffic at the pedestrian crossings.

But Willy St West may ironically get me in the car for grocery shopping.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 am

I am almost euphoric.

Even though it is not completed, they appear to be making faux-brick like patterns in some cement, and it looked to me like they were laying sod (seems unlikely to survive, but I may have hallucinated too).

That is one smooooooooooooooth road.

If they would now turn the protected left arrow back on towards borders I would be pretty darn happy.

Just in time for the snow
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

All lanes are open. But the big new Target parking lot has an entrance and/or exit on to Univ Ave. What a mess that will be.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Not quite done yet. The left turn lane from University to Midvale is still one lane and gets really backed up during rush hour. I had to wait through three lights yesterday to get through. Still a huge improvement though and I love the bike lane (too bad it ends at Whole Foods and doesn't continue the whole length of University).
Athena
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe