MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fuzzy's Tacos- I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE IN MADISON!!!!!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Fuzzy's Tacos- I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE IN MADISON!!!!!

Postby TXBadger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

1Displaced Texan here (but very happy to be in MadCity). I drove down University Ave the other day and did a double take. WTF???? Fuzzy's Tacos in Madison???!!! Could it be - or was it just another place with a similar name.

Well after finally figuring how to get across Univ Ave (another story in itself) I pulled into the parking lot. It's an interesting set up. Fuzzy's and Starbucks share the same building. But I digress... On to Fuzzy's.

OK people - Fuzzy's has CULT status in Texas. Think In and Out Burger on the West Coast or Shake Shake in NYC. Yeah, it's the same kind of thing. We Texans (ex-Texan in my case) cannot go very long without a Fuzzy's Fix. So now you can imagine my surprise when I saw one in Madison!

Food. Simply said- fresh, great tasting and inexpensive!!! Not many places where you can go these days and have a wide variety of choices all freshly made and still not dent the pocketbook.

I immediately ordered my old standby- Chorizo, potato, egg and cheese breakfast taco. And only $1.99!!!! Latin fried potatoes on the side for $1.79. See what I am talkin about. This stuff is inexpensive AND GOOD.

I went back a second time and had another one of my favorites- Baja Tempura fish tacos (again only $1.99). Huge pieces of crunchy fish, soft taco, with lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and drum roll... feta cheese. These things are to die for - and if you want to eat a bit healthier get the fish grilled.

I went to the Fuzzy's web site to see if there were more Fuzzy's on their way - but it seems like this is the only location in the midwest. Not sure how they got here - but as far as I am concerned it could not be soon enough!!!!

:D :)
TXBadger

Re: Fuzzy's Tacos- I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE IN MADISON!!!!!

Postby Average Joe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Seriously odd. Not the likely stealth advertising, but checking out their website they have 18-20 some locations in Texas, one in Oklahoma and then Madison. WTF? It just seems like an odd hop for a small chain to jump so far out of it's home-base region. But the google search netted over-all positive reviews, I will check them out.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Average Joe wrote:Seriously odd. Not the likely stealth advertising, but checking out their website they have 18-20 some locations in Texas, one in Oklahoma and then Madison. WTF? It just seems like an odd hop for a small chain to jump so far out of it's home-base region. But the google search netted over-all positive reviews, I will check them out.

Maybe they're looking to start expanding in college towns, ala DP Dough and Gumby's? Their pricing seems to be about right.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Petro wrote:Maybe they're looking to start expanding in college towns, ala DP Dough and Gumby's? Their pricing seems to be about right.

I thought about that, but they don't have a location in Austin (according to their website) and the Madison location is pretty far removed from the greater campus area. I'm not begrudging their right to be in Madison, I'm just kind of curious about the back story how they ended up here. And I wish them luck in succeeding to find a niche in Madison if they offer a good product with good service.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Average Joe wrote:I thought about that, but they don't have a location in Austin (according to their website) and the Madison location is pretty far removed from the greater campus area. I'm not begrudging their right to be in Madison, I'm just kind of curious about the back story how they ended up here. And I wish them luck in succeeding to find a niche in Madison if they offer a good product with good service.

I noticed the lack of an Austin location too, but I know there's a university in College Station, Texarkana, Lubbock, Plano, and Fort Worth.

Ok, I googled a bunch of those on a hunch.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Like I said, I'm happy they're here and wish them success if they have a good product. I'm just curious about the back story. I'll probably drive a little bit out of my way tomorrow morning to try the chorizo, potato & egg breakfast taco.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Somehow "Taco" and "Fuzzy" just don't go together. Pthhhtt. Fppthhp.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Somehow "Taco" and "Fuzzy" just don't go together. Pthhhtt. Fppthhp.

Then there is the Pink Taco. A few years ago, I went to the one at the Hard Rock in LV. I innocently asked our female server if they had pink tacos, not realizing the double entendre involved with the term. She immediately gave me dagger eyes.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 am

They have one in Norman.
Very tasty, interesting tacos.
okiebp

Postby Marty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 am

This place is fantastic!!! The price and taste can't be beat!! Their chips and queso are awesome and I love the breakfast burritos!!! I could eat there everyday and get something different. Love the variety! My only complaint is that there is only one location! I wish them the best of luck!!!
Marty

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

Marty wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixt.

Please calm down before you show up for your shift, Marty. I don't want you drooling on my tacos.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Tacos- I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE FUZZY!!!

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:17 pm

O.J. wrote:Please calm down before you show up for your shift, Marty. I don't want you drooling on my tacos.

I know, right?

I mean, it usually takes dinner, drinks and/or flowers before I let someone drool on my tacos.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tonyday » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:11 pm

TXBadger wrote:Simply said- fresh, great tasting

Looking for more verification. I'm willing to try it but would like to hear more before making the trip.
tonyday

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:22 pm

tonyday wrote:
TXBadger wrote:Simply said- fresh, great tasting

Looking for more verification. I'm willing to try it but would like to hear more before making the trip.

http://www.popwilleatme.com/2010/11/mad ... -shop.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:http://www.popwilleatme.com/2010/11/madison-review-fuzzys-taco-shop.html

From the review: "Food wise this is decidedly more of a baja taco joint than say a taqueria and again that’s fine as that’s their goal."

From Fuzzy's Tacos: "Fuzzy's Taco Shop - Home of Fuzzy's Famous Baja Tacos"

Yes, I guess it is their goal.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues