MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

New forum registrant: some feedback

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

New forum registrant: some feedback

Postby LZiegler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am

Hello,

I just signed up for the boards and wanted to give some feedback on the process as a person who has installed, customized and administered a number of phpBB installs over many years.

First, you're missing some definitions for display text on your two spambot filters. I don't want to log out and back in just to recall the exact variables, but there's one for some help text on the "whats the last word in this phrase" section, and another for the refresh button under the captcha. Those definitions need to be in the English language file for the style you're using.

Second, I would humbly suggest that your password requirements are far too stringent for a casual community forum. I would suggest dialing the requirement for certain characters like a capital letter and numbers back and just have a minimum length requirement.

IMHO people should be able to set the passwords they can remember. I have a few standard strong passwords that I use for web forums and none of them include a capital letter, just special characters and numbers. I have a feeling if I need to log into this account on a new PC in a year or two I will have no idea what password I set, because of your requirements.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by LZiegler on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LZiegler

Re: New forum registrant: some feedback

Postby Right Bower » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 am

LZiegler wrote:
Second, I would humbly suggest that your password requirements are far too stringent for a casual community forum. I would suggest dialing the requirement for certain characters like a capital letter and numbers back and just have a minimum length requirement.

IMHO people should be able to set the passwords they can remember. I have a few standard strong passwords that I use for web forums and none of them include a capital letter, just special characters and numbers. I have a feeling if I need to log into this account on a new PC in a year or two I will have no idea what password I set, because of your requirements.

Unless I'm grandfathered in or something, my password is 8 characters, no letters, no caps.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:04 am

I seem to be grandfathered in as well. My password is 123456789. Oh shit.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 am

The vast majority of you are grandfathered in. The latest "upgrade" insists on the funky passwords, but we'll see if we can tweak that.

We've had problems with spam, and that's what leads to most of these issues. Thanks for the feedback... always appreciated.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:The vast majority of you are grandfathered in.

Actually, Miss, I never married...
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 am

Sheppy? Is that you?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com