MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Hu Hot - NOT.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Hu Hot - NOT.

Postby JansM » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 am

Ate at Hu Hot Mongolian Grill on Junction Road last night. Kind of new and interesting concept: pick-your-own from a fresh, extensive selection of ingredients. We thought it was really only so-so. But here's the thing: they won't let you take any leftovers home. If it was an all-you-can-eat place, and it was my fourth trip through the line, I would understand and call it fair. But it's not. Service was very slow, but dang, you should have seen how quick the waitress whisked away my uneaten food when I asked for a doggie bag.
JansM

Re: Hu Hot - NOT.

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:50 am

This is true of all franchised "Mongolian grill" concept places. bd's (which is no longer in Madison) and Flat Top (which is) both do the same thing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Seriously?
It's all you can eat. Why would you want to take some home to eat later? Eat your fill there.....
okiebp

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 pm

JansM wrote:If it was an all-you-can-eat place, and it was my fourth trip through the line, I would understand and call it fair. But it's not.

it IS an all you can eat place.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I liked Flat Top the one time we went there but Hu Hot had a lot more variety. It was also less of a complete zoo when I went there. Not the end all be all of Asian food but certainly a reasonably priced pile of decent food.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, what did you and your husband do after you were ejected from the restaurant?
Marge: We pretty much went straight home…
Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, you are under oath!
Marge: We drove around until 3AM looking for another all-you-an-eat fish restaurant.
Hutz: And when you couldn’t find one?
Marge: We went fishing…
Hutz: Do these sound like the actions of a man who had all he could eat?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 am

JansM wrote:Ate at Hu Hot Mongolian Grill on Junction Road last night. Kind of new and interesting concept: pick-your-own from a fresh, extensive selection of ingredients. We thought it was really only so-so. But here's the thing: they won't let you take any leftovers home. If it was an all-you-can-eat place, and it was my fourth trip through the line, I would understand and call it fair. But it's not. Service was very slow, but dang, you should have seen how quick the waitress whisked away my uneaten food when I asked for a doggie bag.

There's very little actual service, though.

You make your way through the line (which features all of the meats frozen and sliced deli-thin for some reason) and to the grill, where the grillmen have their own tip jar set up. You're then expected to wait while they grill your food, and you carry it back to your table.

The only real "service" is a glorified busboy that can also bring you drinks and the check.

I prefer Flattop to Hu Hot for restaurants in this genre, if only for the service and the ability to fill my stomach with delicious grilled flat bread in addition to my stir fry. mmm. Blue stick.
Petro
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews