MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

no more high speed rail?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

no more high speed rail?

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Someone explain to me how this aligns with job creation instead of against it?

from channel3000.com
Source: High-Speed Rail Plan Scrapped
DOT Officials Haven't Confirmed Information

Updated: 1:53 pm CDT November 4, 2010
Text Size
AAA
MADISON, Wis. -- The Madison-Milwaukee high-speed rail project has been scrapped, according to an unnamed source.

The source, who asked to remain anonymous, said that she and several staffers were told the "project is done" and all were let go on Thursday morning.

Meanwhile, Lobbyist Pat Goss, the executive director of the Wisconsin Transportation Builders Association, said the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has told a contractor to suspend work on the plan. He said officials sent an e-mail on Thursday to contractor Edward Kraemer & Sons telling the firm to suspend work on a stretch of tracks in Jefferson County.

Goss said the department didn't say why the work should be halted or if the project is being scrapped altogether.

The e-mail comes just two days after the election of Republican Scott Walker as governor. Walker has vowed to kill the $810 million project, which is to be built with federal stimulus funds.

Outgoing Gov. Jim Doyle has tried to lock the project in place before leaving office.

Officials with the state Department of Transportation have yet to confirm the details.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: no more high speed rail?

Postby Stomach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm

That project was supposed to use stimulus money. They can't call it a failed stimulus if they spend the money.

This is part of the long term plan to create jobs in the oil industry.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Calm down everyone. Lets talk about inner city biking. We don't need to build more huge/heavy and dirty machines. Lets keep it clean. Low tech is the smart tech... Its fun too.
HOMOsapien

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

See, these are the wrong kind of jobs. They are railroad building jobs, which are nowhere near as awesome as road building jobs.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:Calm down everyone. Lets talk about inner city biking. We don't need to build more huge/heavy and dirty machines. Lets keep it clean. Low tech is the smart tech... Its fun too.

I'm down with that, but also was excited to have a way for my family members (some of whom are little children who just don't have a 75-mile bike ride in 'em) from Milwaukee come to visit more often.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I wonder what the buy-out on these signed contracts will cost taxpayers? Has Gov-Elect Walker even pondered THAT little issue?
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

More details are coming to light.

The statement issued by state DOT Secretary Frank J. Busalacchi read: "At the governor's request, I have asked contractors and consultants working on the high speed rail project to temporarily interrupt their work for a few days."

The release continued that "in light of the election results, our agency will be taking a few days to assess the real world consequences, including the immediate impacts to people and their livelihoods, if this project were to be stopped."
Walker brushed off a reporter's question Thursday afternoon in the Capitol Rotunda when asked if he was worried that construction jobs would be lost if the rail project were derailed.

He said he would prefer that the federal money targeted for high-speed rail be instead used for improving roads and bridges in the state.

Still holding to that line, is he?

Walker has said he would either "send the money back to Washington" or push Congress to let the state use the rail funds for other transportation projects. The federal government, however, has said the money can be spent only on rail projects.

Yes, by all means, let's give back the $810 million so it can be distributed to OTHER states' rail projects.

The amount of shortsighted ignorance is staggering.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm

swoon_queen wrote:I'm down with that, but also was excited to have a way

Don't you mean another or additional way?

There are plenty of available and accessible ways presently in existence. Why build more?

We're in debt. Convince me, and tens of millions of others that we need to spend more, and consume more, on yet another variety of heavy/huge machine. I won't pay. In fact, I'm getting around all over the place just fine on the cheap using multi-modal transportation. My nephews love riding around in the bob-trailer, they ask for rides.
HOMOsapien

Postby Stomach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:42 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:My nephews love riding around in the bob-trailer, they ask for rides.

Are you the guy I see pushing the bob-trailer on the shoulder of I-94?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:We're in debt. Convince me, and tens of millions of others that we need to spend more, and consume more, on yet another variety of heavy/huge machine.

It's called progress fuckwad. We live in a society of single mode transportation. Change is hard for you I know, that's why you probably slumped back into what we used to have. Some people think about the future, other relish in the past.

If we were not in debt, would you support this? The burden of the cost won't come for many years.

I've become very intolerant of ignorance. This election has shown the ignorance that is all over the state.

I have no issue in saying that, HOMOsapien, you are one ignorant dumbass. I hope you don't breed and create the same dumbass opinions.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby makmadison » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 pm

If our State was anywhere near having a balanced budget, funding a rail system would make sense. However, the State's budget is such a mess funding a rail system makes no sense at all.

I would like to see a decent rail system in WI, but at this time, we cannot afford it.
makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:05 am

makmadison wrote:If our State was anywhere near having a balanced budget, funding a rail system would make sense. However, the State's budget is such a mess funding a rail system makes no sense at all.

Sorry, you're not paying attention. Time to do some reading.

One reason why the future of our state has been set back another decade.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:12 am

Stop it for a few days? This seems like an effort to create a backlash against Walker's plans. Doesn't seem to be working.

Stebben your first two sentences illustrate the problem:

- yes, it's "progress"
- it won't be very useful until you get people out of their cars

No offense Swoony but getting the kids here to visit ain't gonna cut it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am

makmadison wrote:If our State was anywhere near having a balanced budget, funding a rail system would make sense. However, the State's budget is such a mess funding a rail system makes no sense at all. I would like to see a decent rail system in WI, but at this time, we cannot afford it.

The train brings Federal stimulus money to WI and creates jobs. It may help the State economy.
Last edited by Shorty on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am

The MJS gives a little detail on the economic implications of scrapping the rail project. Some excerpts:

Even with the federal government picking up the line's full construction cost, Walker has said he doesn't want state taxpayers to pay operating costs, projected at $7.5 million a year, starting in 2013. A state transportation official has said state taxpayers' share could be as little as $750,000 a year, if federal aid covers 90% of operating costs, as it does for Amtrak's existing Milwaukee-to-Chicago Hiawatha line.

Contractors confirmed they had been told to stop work, and some worried they might have to lay off employees if the job grinds to a permanent halt. Construction employment on the line was projected to peak at 4,732 jobs in 2012, with 55 permanent jobs to operate and maintain trains, stations and tracks.

At Talgo, the Spanish train company, the announcement won't mean immediate layoffs, but it casts a pall over the future of the plant on the former Tower Automotive property, said Nora Friend, a Talgo vice president.

Talgo has contracts to build two trains for the Hiawatha and two trains for Oregon. It was hoping to build trains for the Milwaukee-to-Madison line as well but was told the state has put the request for proposals for those trains on hold, Friend said.

The company has already hired about 40 people for its current contracts and plans to have a total of 125 on board by next year, Friend and Barrett said. If it had won contracts to build trains for the Milwaukee-to-Madison line and for other states, it would have kept the plant in operation beyond 2012 and expanded, they said. "The implication is that a lot of people will be losing their jobs," after the current work is done, Friend said. "For us, it means we won't be able to expand. . . .  It's very difficult for us to hire people and tell them it's only for a year and a half or so."

Barrett said the city had invested more than $3 million in buying and renovating the part of the Tower property that Talgo is using, in the belief "this would provide employment for many years."

So...to eliminate the projected $750,000 Wisconsin share in annual operating expense, we're tossing away the $3 mil. investment in Talgo, the 125 jobs there, 4732 construction jobs on the rail project, and 55 permanent jobs operating the rail line. Nice.

Whoops...forgot the army of lawyers Wisconsin will hire under Walker to shelf this project. I guess that's economic development Walker-style.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government