MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

no more high speed rail?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: no more high speed rail?

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:04 am

I enjoyed reading the State Journal's editorial this morning. Part of the explanation for why they endorsed Walker was that they thought he wasn't serious about stopping the rail line and would only make a token effort to do so.

I think those dumbasses have many other unpleasant surprises in store.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 am

Maybe the point of Doyle's holding up the project is to highlight for the whole state what will be lost if the contracts are vacated (abdicated? what would it be?) And it's a huge loss, demonstrably. Kraemer's people were looking forward to four or five years of solid work and now it's in jeopardy. Same for other contractors.

Maybe someone can quantify the savings to the people of the state if a certain number of trips are taken by rail instead of car, if people are able to commute more conveniently between Milwaukee and Madison, if businesses open on the rail route to take advantage of the transit opportunities, if tourism increases because people can get to Madison for a vacation spent bike-touring regional trails or watching football and leave their cars at home, and more.

Unfortunately, I doubt Doyle's team is clever enough to pull this together, but I wish that was what they were working on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:41 am

snoqueen wrote:Maybe someone can quantify the savings to the people of the state if a certain number of trips are taken by rail instead of car, if people are able to commute more conveniently between Milwaukee and Madison, if businesses open on the rail route to take advantage of the transit opportunities, if tourism increases because people can get to Madison for a vacation spent bike-touring regional trails or watching football and leave their cars at home, and more.

And for all those people who say "what do I care? I'm gonna keep on driving like I always have," diverting former drivers to trains reduces congestion on roads and perhaps less need for road construction. This goes for buses and other alternative forms of transit, as well.

Stalwart motorists benefit from mass transit.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Economic, environmental and congestion benefits aside (which are many), someone needs to hammer home the safety issue.

In 2009, there were 542 fatalities in 488 accidents across the state. Thankfully, the trend is downward (in 2005, there were 801 deaths on our roads).

But think about that a second. Every stinkin' year on our state's highways we have more fatalities than a Boeing 747 going down with no survivors. Can you imagine the outrage and fear if a fully-loaded plane went down every year?

Naturally, a single rail line isn't going to negate all of that. But I would bet serious money that once high-speed rail lines are up and running along the major corridors through the state (Madison-Milwaukee, Milwaukee-Chicago, Milwaukee-Minneapolis), that fatality figure would significantly drop.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Allow me to add:

Does anyone really enjoy driving 1.5 hours on snow-and-ice-covered freeways for a good portion of our year?

How do we quantify white-knuckle stress levels for the purposes of this argument?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Traffic automation anyone?

Another cheap fix; that is if there was something that needed to be fixed to begin with. This hoax's covers have been blown off.

Traffic automation doesn't come up in Madison very often, which reveals a lot about the liberal planners real ambitions. They don't care about safety or the environment (if they did, they wouldn't be living in cities). It's about free riding and making money at someone else's expense; the perpetual need to control other's resources.

The "jobs loss" talking point is ringing hollow. An early scan of the blogs reveals the public isn't buying it. Civilized people realized that on Wednesday morning anyway.

Plenty of bridge repair crews could use construction repair work instead of selling the labor off cheaply to train builders. Then add jobs to the software programming industry; another Madison mainstay that's already in place. It's a labor shift in the correct direction.
HOMOsapien

Postby uwstudent » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Dear Mr. Walker,

What part of this don't you understand?
The people WANT A TRAIN.
Idiot.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:02 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:The "jobs loss" talking point is ringing hollow. An early scan of the blogs reveals the public isn't buying it. Civilized people realized that on Wednesday morning anyway.

Wow, a blog scan. That's some heavy hitting reporting you got going on there. Why aren't you employed at one of the major media outlets?

HOMOsapien wrote:Plenty of bridge repair crews could use construction repair work instead of selling the labor off cheaply to train builders. Then add jobs to the software programming industry; another Madison mainstay that's already in place.

You really do just make stuff up. 4700 jobs would be created in 2012. That's actually a real number. Where are yours?

The ignorance is seeping out of you people even faster now.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Boyce Johnson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:15 pm

They don't care about safety or the environment (if they did, they wouldn't be living in cities).

Wow.
Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

4 is a real number too.

So you're OK with calling an estimate a fact-to-be for political expediency? OK, I see.

I see real hope and change.
HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:26 pm

The isthmus tabloid's staff remains silent about this news, which made the Washington Post by the way. Must be a devastating blow. I can't wait to read the BS spin.
HOMOsapien

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Traffic automation is a "cheap fix"? Wow, it's obvious you've been getting too many cheap fixes yourself.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I think truly high speed rail would be a good thing in the right environment (ie., where there is enough density to generate high ridership), but I'm at a loss to explain why medium speed rail to Madison makes any sense. Doesn't it make more sense to build out and try out a real high speed rail line?
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Building a sub-high-speed rail line now somehow prevents future infrastructure improvements and speed increases?

The money is there RIGHT NOW. This is the best chance we'll have in the next decade to start dragging our two most populous cities into the 21st century of travel.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government