MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

A Serious Man

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

A Serious Man

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 am

I didn't get it. I was following along all fine and dandy. I was waiting for some closure. Got none. Wanted to hear from the last Rabbi. Wanted something to tie in with the opening at some point. It probably did and just went over my head. Despite the confusion I did enjoy the ride. Poor bastard. If the end was somehow karma or whatever catching up to this guy I fail to see what he did to deserve any of it. Or maybe that was the point. Karma be damned. Anyone out there know what it was that I missed?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A Serious Man

Postby chance » Thu May 06, 2010 7:04 pm

fisticuffs wrote:...I was waiting for some closure. Got none...

Ah, well. Job got no closure either. In the original story, before the happy ending was tacked on by some re-write hack, all Job got was the Lord answering him out of the whirlwind (remember the tornado?), saying:

"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up your loins like a man; I will question you, and you shall declare to me". Job 38:2-3.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 pm

STFU, I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 pm

It's out. It was at the top of my netflix queue for like three months. There's also the option of not clicking on the thread that's titled with the name of the movie you don't want spoiled. You're safe though I think. I would probably have had to understand it better to ruin it for anybody.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 07, 2010 12:02 am

huh, I thought I saw that it was due in June

I just checked netflix, it doesn't appear to be out, just like the main character? no, don't tell me.

Ding ding ding ding! I didn't read the thread title carefully, I was thinkng of the movie, "A Single Man", which is about a repressed gay man (I think.) Colin Firth is a good actor. I want to see "A serious Man" too, so STFU anyway.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 am

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Sun May 09, 2010 6:28 pm

SPOILERS.

Just watched it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I wouldn’t say you missed anything necessarily. We are so used to tidy resolutions, that it can be jarring when a movie doesn’t go that route.

The beginning: Maybe those are Larry’s ancestors that establish the bad luck of the Gopnik family or even the cause of the bad luck. Or they symbolize a history of suffering for Jews in general? Or maybe the Coen brothers want you to think of the whole movie as a Jewish fable, although it’s set in the midwest of the 1960s, so they start the whole thing off with a more traditional Jewish fable?

The ending: As for the ending being karma, if that’s your interpretation, then you could point to him changing the kid’s grade being the cause of it I suppose. I don’t think I’m going with karma. A lot of the bad things are never fully realized: there is the threat of divorce, threat of not receiving tenure, threat of some health issue, etc., but they don’t actually happen in the movie. Maybe it just goes back to what the junior Rabbi was saying about it all being about your perspective—glass half full or half empty kind of thing. Or maybe the second Rabbi’s dentist story is a good way to look at the whole movie—there is no point to it all and searching for answers doesn’t get you anywhere. Larry to the second Rabbi: “Why even tell me this story?” “Why does he make us feel the questions if he’s not going to give us any answers?”

One thing is certain, though. Roger Deakins is one of the best cinematographers around.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 am

A Coen brothers film without closure? Shocking.

I was born in '64; it was great to see the recreation of late 60's suburban life. The house I lived in until 1972 was pretty much like Larry's. But our antenna had a motor on it so you could adjust it from inside the house.

Didn't get the Larry's brother character.

As for the title, what does it mean? At first I thought it was a Jewish thing but happened to watch the Godfather again and DC calls Sollozzo that. I take it to mean "a man to be respected" but these are the only 2 places I've ever heard it.

Enjoyed the movie. Like it that the Coens have free reign to do pretty much whatever they want.

Wish the Mrs. Samsky look would come back in style.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies