MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Mediocre Badger Team

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Another Mediocre Badger Team

Postby supaunknown » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:46 am

PTI's Wilbon said he would've "punched" Bielema. Yeah right.
I don't quite get the uproar over this. College teams run the scores up on lesser opponents all the time. Slightly classless sure, but hardly unheard of.
The Gophers stink. Whining about a measly 2 point conversion seems like an attempt to extract moral superiority during a horrible season.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 am

I will be really impressed if the Badgers can pull off the upset in Iowa City but you have to admit that Saturdays game was a great win.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 am

Bielema finally got his signature win; probably the biggest victory for the program since the 2000 Rose Bowl. Dominating display by our offensive line, and our special teams came up huge. This was a gigantic recruiting weekend for us(basketball team, too), and the raucous atmosphere on an absolutely gorgeous day certainly won't hurt our chances reeling in a few of these kids.

We'll need a similar effort to win at Iowa, but if John Clay continues to run with authority, and the line keeps Tolzien's jersey clean, I like our chances.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 am

I don't know why, but Iowa seems to have our number in recent years. It would really be great if we could turn that around this week.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 am

I'd like to see somebody besides JJ Watt generate a consistent pass rush. I know Pryor is illusive but he had waaaaay too much time back there.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Besides parts of the 3Q, that was an ass-kicking.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Stomach wrote:I'd like to see somebody besides JJ Watt generate a consistent pass rush. I know Pryor is illusive but he had waaaaay too much time back there.

I suspect they were coached not to rush upfield too aggressively and open up run lanes for him. Keep him in the pocket as much as possible.

I'm really proud of the Badgers. This was quite an accomplishment. The opening kick return was huge and gave the cushion they needed to control the game. Great win.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Besides parts of the 3Q, that was an ass-kicking.

My amateur analysis:
Q1: The Badgers come out of the gate and absolutely dominate the Buckeyes.
Q2: Buckeyes are stunned, frustrated and can't do anything (as I recall, they come off of one series and a number of them throw their helmets into their bench).
Q3: Buckeyes must have gotten a wake-up call / one hell of a pep talk at half time and they come out and fight back strongly. Badgers are scrambling a bit.
Q4: Buckeyes keep it strong (some amazing 3rd down conversions and stay-alive plays), but the Badgers get back to their first-half strategies and shut OSU down.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 pm

What was up with the Buckeye players "Jumping Around"? Is that allowed? I don't know that I've seen the opposing team take part in that before. Could that have doomed them in the 4th quarter?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 am

I've seen several opposing teams jump around, MSU comes to mind, I don't remember what year but it was recently. They won the game, I remember that much.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 am

Well, I've definitely learned two things from this season so far:

1. Michigan State is a lot better than most people thought they'd be, and
2. The Badgers can really play up to their competition as well as play down to it.

So to not be mediocre, the task remaining is to not lose to an inferior team, which I've seen some otherwise good Badger teams do in the past.

The bye week comes at a very good time.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 pm

I am anything but a Bielema fan BUT given the title of this thread and the Badgers current #7 ranking in the Nov. 7 BCS polling; perhaps it's time to give credit where credit is due. #7 is anything but mediocre at this point in the season. He may be a tool, a dope, whatever other colorful name many have for him but he's getting things done right now.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby BrianV66 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 am

I have a hunch that if you made a list of the best 20 college coaches of all time, a strong percentage would be a-holes.
BrianV66

Postby c02 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 pm

For that matter, the same can likely be said about the top 20 CEO's in this country or any other one. The point is, the title of this thread is "Another Mediocre Badger Team." Typically "Mediocre" and a top 10 national standing don't go hand-in-hand. The HC has his detractors for a myriad of reasons. Some personal, some gossip, many arm-chair-quarterback. Regardless of what one thinks about him, he deserves credit for winning just as much as he is credited when they lose.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Even if the Badgers win out they might not be Rose Bowl bound, as the BCS standings will probably come into play. UW's mediocre non-conference schedule will hurt their chances.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking