MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Puerto Escondido?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Puerto Escondido?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Anyone been there? Is it still open?

Yes, Puerto Escondido is in a sketchy neighborhood, but I want to know if it's worth a try. And I want to use their Bucky Book coupon before they go under.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Puerto Escondido?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Ms Vilas and I decided to see for ourselves and we're glad we did. Had dinner earlier this week at Puerto Escondido. Even though it is right on the Beltline frontage road just off of Todd Dr., it could be easily missed. An Open Pantry on one side and the infamous Selective Video on the other. Most of the diners were Mexican; I took that as a good sign.

A fairly extensive menu with everything made from scratch, from the taco chips to the refried beans. No Sysco products. Very inexpensive. Most entrées under ten bucks. I had the tilapia (described in the review I linked to, above) and Ms Vilas had her favorite, chile rellenos. We both enjoyed our meals. No liquor license, so no cerveza or margaritas, but that kept the tab way down. We both gave the place a thumbs up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues