MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bad experience at Roman Candle

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Bad experience at Roman Candle

Postby brewed awakening » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 pm

I promised my kid if he was awesome at the doctor's office I'd take him & his little brother out for a slice of pizza afterwards. Normally this would mean Ian's, no question; but lunchtime rush + two little kids = no way.
So we went to the Roman Candle on Willy on the way home - it didn't take long before Plan A started sounding good.
Only 6 other people in the place at 12:20. Barely there service. Three requests for water. Then the wait. 40 minutes until my kids had a slice each of pepperoni pizza and I had a cup of coffee that was so burnt & so bitter it gave me gut rot and a headache.
What happened to this place??
I remember when a night out for pizza at Roman Candle was cause for excitement...has it really changed so much since they started expanding?
The crust is still one of the best in town, but I'd have saved myself 30 minutes of squirmy, fidgety kids if I'd only swung by Ian's. :cry:
brewed awakening

Re: Bad experience at Roman Candle

Postby CoffeeJones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Just to give yourself some credibility, you might want to have a little history before slamming a business on here. Posting a complaint here without some history makes you look like that's the only reason you're here.

Did you talk to the manager? Or the owners? I happen to know they're usually pretty responsive to customer complaints.
CoffeeJones

Postby jman111 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:03 pm

CoffeeJones wrote: Posting a complaint here without some history makes you look like that's the only reason you're here.

Is that a problem?

CoffeeJones wrote:Just to give yourself some credibility, you might want to have a little history before slamming a business on here.

Do you think all the "regulars" here have any more credibility than a first-timer? Do you REALLY think that a history of posting here offers any assurance of credibility?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:17 pm

jman111 wrote:Do you think all the "regulars" here have any more credibility than a first-timer? Do you REALLY think that a history of posting here offers any assurance of credibility?

If anything, semi-regular posting in this forum only lowers my credibility.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm

The one time my wife and I ate in at the Roman Candle in Middleton, we had a pretty mediocre experience -- they were out of fettucini AND the pasta for their baked macaroni & cheese (how the hell does that happen?), and I wasn't impressed with the portion sizes.

Every time we grab pizza and take it home, though, it's fantastic.
timby

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 pm

jman111 wrote:Do you think all the "regulars" here have any more credibility than a first-timer? Do you REALLY think that a history of posting here offers any assurance of credibility?

Like it or not, and I gather you don't, it does among the regulars. That doesn't mean I automatically discount what first time posters have to offer, but I don't give it the same amount of credibility as Forons who've posted here for years.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:34 am

Then allow me, the worst kind of regular (right, jman?), to provide a little support for brewed's experience.

I get the impression that Roman Candle is very loosely managed. Other than the stern, big-ass sign in the kitchen at Willy St. (NO LOUD TALKING or something), I think it's pretty free-range. I don't want to sound like an old fogie, but I don't think I've ever seen someone over 40 working behind the counter.

This is fine; it makes the place feel young (obviously) and hip, kind of a fun place to just chill--because that's what the staff is often doing when not serving customers. But, like the orbits of multiple planets, every now and then things line up just so--and the most relaxed or lackadaisical tendencies all conspire to create a poor customer experience.

Sometimes orders are forgotten. I've had that happen. Other times orders are made wrong. I've had that happen,too. Still other times, you stand at the counter waiting for someone to not just note your presence, but actually approach and serve you. I've had that happen.

When a couple of these things eclipse--bad stuff, man. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rare occurrence like what brewed is describing. But I also don't think it's the standard. I had a couple of perfectly tasty pizzas from Roman Candle: Willy St. last week.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 am

gargantua wrote:

Like it or not, and I gather you don't, it does among the regulars. That doesn't mean I automatically discount what first time posters have to offer, but I don't give it the same amount of credibility as Forons who've posted here for years.

Look, we all have biases and prejudices when it comes to perceived credibility. I don't think anyone would argue that you, as a reader, shouldn't give more or less credence based on the source. What seems inappropriate, to me at least, is denigration of those who offer opinions without "sufficient" posting history.

Are their comments really not welcomed here until they've gotten into enough pissing matches with Flanders or Fisti or posted on enough other "acceptable" topics to cross some posting threshhold?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am

My favorite is when the waiter sits down at your table to take your order. Happened twice. No big deal, still love the pizza but I know what I'm walking into.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 am

Overrated.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

jman111 wrote:Look, we all have biases and prejudices when it comes to perceived credibility. I don't think anyone would argue that you, as a reader, shouldn't give more or less credence based on the source. What seems inappropriate, to me at least, is denigration of those who offer opinions without "sufficient" posting history.

Are their comments really not welcomed here until they've gotten into enough pissing matches with Flanders or Fisti or posted on enough other "acceptable" topics to cross some posting threshhold?

Oh, not at all. We were all new posters at one time. It's just that I've either visited or avoided places based on recommendations from folks on the Forum, so those experiences give me a pretty good idea of who I can trust. But I don't dismiss anyone out of hand, unless they've proven themselves to be unreliable or simply have different tastes than I do.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 pm

I ate RC pizza once a couple years ago, thought it was OK but nothing special.

However my wife went there with some friends about a month ago and went on and on about what a terrible experience it was. Not so much the food being bad, but the service and ability of the employees to do anything right. The service was extremely slow, the appetizer they ordered was forgotten, the to-go pizza took forever and was burned. When they did get the pizza there was confusion about the appetizer somehow they got stuck waiting around and having to pay for it. Did not sound like they spoke to a manager or anything. Maybe they should have. Sometimes it is easier just to leave when things are going that bad.

Yes this is all second hand knowledge and not here to bash Roman Candle, but I know it would be pretty hard to convince her to go back again anytime soon.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 pm

So it appears that (gasp!) brewed awakening may have been credible after all, despite lacking "history".
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I think the most important question to ask in this thread is:

brewed awakening wrote:I promised my kid if he was awesome at the doctor's office

Did you really challenge him to be "awesome"? Because that would be, well, awesome.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I wonder what he'd get for being just "good"?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues