MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bad experience at Roman Candle

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Bad experience at Roman Candle

Postby c02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Pizza Pit?
c02
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Don't you hate it when your clever quick comeback, sans quote, ends up on the top of a new page. It's just sitting there by itself looking silly.

Kinda like when three guys are sitting in a booth, at Roman Candle perhaps, and the guy sitting on the side by himself goes to the bathroom. Suddenly the remaining two are just a couple of guys sitting on the same side of a booth.

Actually it's nothing like that... but I always find it kinda funny.

Posts like this do nothing to build your credibility by the way.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I hope that Roman Candle management sees this thread. Common theme, seems like the problems are pretty basic, easily fixed with a little attention.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ubiquity » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:31 pm

by iwiw99 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am

My favorite is when the waiter sits down at your table to take your order. Happened twice. No big deal, still love the pizza but I know what I'm walking into.

Hilarious - this has happened to me, too! Bizarre.
My MO with the Roman is to do carry-out. You won't find a better hearty comfort soup in town than their Roasted Red Pepper Bisque.
ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:43 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Don't you hate it when your clever quick comeback, sans quote, ends up on the top of a new page. It's just sitting there by itself looking silly.

Kinda like when three guys are sitting in a booth, at Roman Candle perhaps, and the guy sitting on the side by himself goes to the bathroom. Suddenly the remaining two are just a couple of guys sitting on the same side of a booth.

Actually it's nothing like that... but I always find it kinda funny.

Posts like this do nothing to build your credibility by the way.

Yes I do....

That said, your implied definition of credible is interesting.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:22 pm

jman111 wrote:I wonder what he'd get for being just "good"?

Domino's. Served cold.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm

c02 wrote:
That said, your implied definition of credible is interesting.

I was talking about my own post. Sorry for the confusion.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm

No problem. Had I been truly offended the response would have been longer. :wink:
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:43 am

I went to both the Roman Candle and Lazy Oaf Lounge recently, because I had Bucky Book coupons. The pizza at RC is good, but it's pretty expensive. I enjoy their crisp crust, and the quality is there, but it's still just pizza. I'm not sure that it's worth the premium without some sort of coupon. Lazy Oaf has a wood fired stone oven that puts out an amazing crust that I'd hold up against RC any day. I like the fact that Lazy Oaf has whole wheat and pesto crust options. The name Lazy Oaf was off putting to me for some reason, so I didn't go there before getting a Bucky Book, but I'm really glad that I tried it, because the pizza we got with whole wheat crust was fantastic. The price there would have been just about as much as RC, but the coupon was for 50% off, so it was well worth it. I'd probably go back there before RC and pay full price if I was with someone who wanted really great pizza from Madison.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

I had a great margherita pie Tuesday night at the Fitchburg location.
It was excellent and so was the service. I will be back
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 pm

jman111 wrote:
gargantua wrote:
jman111 wrote:Do you think all the "regulars" here have any more credibility than a first-timer? Do you REALLY think that a history of posting here offers any assurance of credibility?

Like it or not, and I gather you don't, it does among the regulars. That doesn't mean I automatically discount what first time posters have to offer, but I don't give it the same amount of credibility as Forons who've posted here for years.

Look, we all have biases and prejudices when it comes to perceived credibility. I don't think anyone would argue that you, as a reader, shouldn't give more or less credence based on the source. What seems inappropriate, to me at least, is denigration of those who offer opinions without "sufficient" posting history.

Are their comments really not welcomed here until they've gotten into enough pissing matches with Flanders or Fisti or posted on enough other "acceptable" topics to cross some posting threshhold?

Please show me where I denigrated the poster. I said there opinions might carry more weight if they had more history. This would give readers at least some idea of how they usually think. As with you jman. Your history gives me a fairly good idea of how you think, and in your case that means that your opinions actually carry less weight for me than others here.

My suggestions were similar, and much more mildly stated than many other response to first time posters on this forum who are either apparently advertising for the business in question or have some grudge. I merely suggested that there were better options to correct a service issue at the time, and give the business an opportunity to make it better immediately. Posting an experience like this doesn't help anyone, especially the poster.

As an example, I had a genuinely awful experience at a local restaurant on Monday, and when we complained, the manager comped the entire meal. I'll go back, now. I might not have, otherwise. I was in the restaurant business for over 25 years, and as a manager, I always tried to look at these situations as opportunities, and make the customer happy. If manager isn't made aware of the problem, though, there isn't a lot that can be done.
CoffeeJones

Postby Petro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 pm

CoffeeJones wrote:As with you jman. Your history gives me a fairly good idea of how you think, and in your case that means that your opinions actually carry less weight for me than others here.

Oooh! Oooh! Do me next!
Petro
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues