MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brent Farve: Call it a career?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Brent Farve: Call it a career?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Mike Singletary is in a state of panic.

He really shouldn't be there now but yes, this could be the next coach to go down at the hands of the Pack.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:07 pm

It's a wrap!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 pm

As much as I hate the Vikings - and let's be totally clear about this, I utterly fucking hate the Vikings - I couldn't help but feel some pity for Major Dad when the crowd at the Metrodome started chanting "Fire Childress."

Holy fuck - nothing quite like being hated on by thousands of people while on national tv; I thought he was going to begin weeping like a little girl.

Jared Allen is still an asshole, though, so for that reason alone I hope the Vikings continue to suck like a shopvac.

As for Da Bears - this season has been all smoke and mirrors; I don't think I've ever seen a softer 7-3 team. Take it from me - the wheels are going to come off soon, and when they do...hoo boy.

On topic - I ran into my most recent ex the other day, and the first thing she wanted to do was talk trash about the Pack.

"The Bears are going all the way, man," she crowed. "We're talking Super Bowl, baby."

"Yeah, you just keep thinking that," I muttered.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I dunno. Bears drop a couple here down the stretch and potentially miss the playoffs and I'd say Lovie is done. This year was pretty much it for him at the start of the season. That D has played great but I don't think Da Bears are anything that different from what they've been. Martz is a total joke.

All true, but as a longtime Bears fan I feel I must point out that the Bears ownership doesn't like to fire coaches mid-contract and Lovie is signed for another year. Throw in the uncertainty of the NFL CBO and the concomitant possibility of a lockout next year and I see Lovie back even if they fully spit the bit and finish 7-9. Angelo is signed even longer than Lovie, so Packer fans should have Jerry's & Lovie's Bears to mock for a little longer.

And now back to this thread's main theme: I just heard on the radio that there's a story (or, more likely, a suspicion) afoot that the NFL is offering to drop the sexting and harrassment investigation if Brett goes away quietly. Now I'm conflicted.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 pm

What do you want to bet the Vikings try to hire Dom Capers for their head coaching position?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm

What do you want to bet the Vikings try to hire Dom Capers for their head coaching position?

They'll be looking at Gruden and Cowher just like all the other teams that need a head coach. Probably give Frazier a serious look as well. Dom isn't available and besides he's been a head coach several times and it's never ended pretty. GB should pay the man and keep him exactly where he is. In the booth at Lambeau.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

They'll be looking at Gruden and Cowher just like all the other teams that need a head coach. Probably give Frazier a serious look as well. Dom isn't available and besides he's been a head coach several times and it's never ended pretty. GB should pay the man and keep him exactly where he is. In the booth at Lambeau.

Its kind of a joke...Sharper, Longwell, Favre, Capers
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:47 pm

The Queens also wouldn't be at all open to the idea of a 3-4. Not with Allen and the Williams wall up front and absolutely no one of significance back deep.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 pm

The talk up here is that the Wilf's are going to hire Parcells as director of football operations and that he will hire a coach.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yellowman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 pm

He gets one more start and they give him an out (injury) and place him on IR. He fades away. They'll give a look to Webb. If they had any faith in Jackson, they would not have bent over backwards and given Favre $18mil. AP will realize that they are squandering his services during his prime and demand a trade. Zigi and Magic Johnson become business partners and moves the Viking to LA. RIP Viking franchise. Enter LA Drag-Queens. Ragnar gets a sex change operation and is renamed Hagnar. NFC welcomes the Rams to the NFC north.
yellowman

Postby john_titor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:36 pm

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

As a Vikings fan (more or less, I mean it's not like I go to games or own any gear or anything), I'm putting this squarely on Favre. This team was one Grampy McJunkSlinger interception away from the Super Bowl last year. Sound familiar, Packers fans? Except where Ted Thompson straight-up refused to opt in on the Kiln game playing, Wilf, Chilly and company eagerly jumped at the chance.

A year ago, everybody talked about how well the schedule shaped up for Favre and the Vikes. This year, not so much. And he was so obviously affected by the threat of injury as to be running scared on every play. You could see it in every game; he couldn't set up in the pocket. He was throwing the ball way too early and was never comfortable. Worse, he's not prepared and his swagger pushes him to believe that he can still just make shit happen out there, which means the same irresponsible passes he threw during his worst seasons in Green Bay and the second half of the Jets season. Today's NFL quarterback needs to be plugged into his receivers, exquisitely prepared for every game and at top condition. Favre was none of the three. He didn't belong on the same field as Rodgers yesterday.

I say play the bastard every single down. They're paying him to sell tickets and play, so let's see it. If the show is pathetic instead of inspiring, at least it's still a show. Who cares a lick about T-Jack? People want Favre, give 'em Favre.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 am

Michael Patrick wrote:I would like to point out out that my homeboys da Bears already beat the Packers once this season. Strange reason to fire a coach, because he wins, eh?

Unless the Packers can figure out how to prevent their rhythm from getting upset by Lovie's offbeat and ugly gameplan, the Bears will defeat them again in January. I would love to see Smith fired, but he has the Packer's number. Also, the Brett Favre Ass-Licking Society will make sure he finishes the season.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:As a Vikings fan (more or less, I mean it's not like I go to games or own any gear or anything), I'm putting this squarely on Favre. This team was one Grampy McJunkSlinger interception away from the Super Bowl last year. Sound familiar, Packers fans? Except where Ted Thompson straight-up refused to opt in on the Kiln game playing, Wilf, Chilly and company eagerly jumped at the chance.

So Thompson was astute enough to recognize that Favre's usefulness had passed but Brett's own refusal to accept that and his ability to snooker the Jets and Viks into thinking he still had magic falls squarely on the huckster? Bad decisions by coaching and management are the sole property of said coaching and management decision makers.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 am

Stella_Guru wrote:Also, the Brett Favre Ass-Licking Society will make sure he finishes the season.

Invoking St. Brett's ALS?!? Are you a closet SCORE listener, too?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking