MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bub's Burger Joint

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Bub's Burger Joint

Postby Azzazzel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Went there last night with 8 people and ended up leaving due to rude, unaccomodating staff. All we wanted was a burger with only cheese, no meat, our 5 year old does not want the meat. We were willing to pay full boat. When they first opened staff were accomodating and had no problem with this simple request.

It was weird and disturbing. Even worse, when contacted today the manager immediately sided with staff.

There are much better burgers for less money, and less hastle elsewhere. My family and the friends that were with us will never go there again. nor will we recommend them to anyone.

We ended up at Deckers near there and salvaged our evening with decent food and some seasonal beers.
Azzazzel

Postby buckyor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Azzazzel wrote: All we wanted was a burger with only cheese, no meat.
:shock:
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:48 pm

So, basically you wanted a cheese sandwich and they don't have one on the menu...hmmm...you could have gone across the street to McDonalds, but they likely would have given you the same answer. Why not just get a fucking cheeseburger and remove the meat yourself???
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm

As long as we're all weighing in on this weighty matter, I don't see what would have been so hard about slapping some cheese on a bun. That little card you fill out has all those toppings and a place to put "special instructions" and the thing is made to order. "Made to order" means they make it the way you want them to.

Why the hell not make 'em a burger with no burger, especially if they're going to pay for the burger anyway? What's the big deal?

I expect the reason they didn't want to take the meat out themselves is because there's still meat juices left. Same reason some people don't like removing the onions from the pizza, cause you can still taste it.

You can harangue them as much as you want on the logic in it, but the staff should have given them the freakin cheese sandwich.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Okay, maybe it's a bit harsh to suggest that the customer just deals with the menu; however, no more harsher than posting a gripe about "no cheese sandwich" when it's not on the menu and, to boot, panning the joint due to the fact that the menu wasn't modified to their whims. I realize restaurants must cater to the customer to some degree, but if customers want to keep businesses alive, they have to roll with it as well. I went there, had a good burger, staff was perfectly cool, no issues. Sometimes issues pop up when the customer acts in way that peeves the staff. We have no way of knowing what type of snooty comments were made when the "cheese sandwich" didn't materialize:)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 pm

"Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules."
"You want me to hold the chicken, huh?"

That's it, in Five Easy Pieces.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:05 am

Any restaurant with an inkling of the value of customer service would have given them the freaking cheese sandwich. If I'm understanding this correctly they were willing to pay full price for just a bun and a slice of cheese. From a business standpoint, why would you refuse a sale with a higher profit margin? I'm assuming the greatest cost in a hamburger is the burger. Any organization that doesn't value customer service or the opportunity to maximize profits is clearly headed towards the same fate as the previous tenants of that location.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am

This sums up my assessment of the burgers:

The meat was almost pink in the center and was moist, but the overall taste of the hamburger was from bun, grease, cheddar cheese and salt; that is, it was all quite pleasurable in a drive-in sort of way, without carrying any discernible meat flavor.

We have become so accustomed to the fast-food burger in this country that we barely notice that we're not tasting any meat — so much so that a thick burger with a center that's so far away from the bun and the cheese that you really do end up with mouthfuls of just meat can seem like too much of a commitment.

No one at Bub's is asking you to make that kind of commitment. In the scheme of mass-market burgers, Bub's is comfortably on the high end of fast, but not approaching what I guess might be called a "gourmet burger," i.e., something that actually tastes like meat.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=31374

I think Bub's is decent enough, but I have a hard time understanding the love for Five Guys, which serves a similar product (or maybe even not as good). Who cares if the meat is fresh if you cook it like that?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mommakleen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Bub's is right by my house and I have eaten there several times. The Ribeye sandwich is very good, and my kids like the burgers. I am going to try the chicken sandwich tonight. Fries are the only downfall as far as I am concerned, but then again, I always get food to go, and I guess fries are better eaten while hot & fresh!
mommakleen

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

Did Bub's close? The past few times I've driven past they haven't been open.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Ate there about 10 days ago maybe, so I don't think they're closed. Wouldn't surprise me if they were, however, the joint is always empty when I'm there. What time did you go by? They seem to close pretty early in the evening (8? 9?).
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

massimo wrote:Ate there about 10 days ago maybe, so I don't think they're closed. Wouldn't surprise me if they were, however, the joint is always empty when I'm there. What time did you go by? They seem to close pretty early in the evening (8? 9?).

The other night was something like 8:30, but I've driven by around noon and around 4 a few times, and none of the "Open" signs have been on. I haven't gone to look and see if there's a sign on the door or something.

I want (wanted?) to like Bub's, but it seems kind of meh, especially for the price.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:09 pm

That was my feeling too. Then on a suggestion from this forum I tried the gyro from The People's Bakery and now that's where I eat when I'm in the neighborhood. The food takes about the same amount of time, it's pretty damn good, and I'm just more comfortable in there.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm

rabble wrote:That was my feeling too. Then on a suggestion from this forum I tried the gyro from The People's Bakery and now that's where I eat when I'm in the neighborhood. The food takes about the same amount of time, it's pretty damn good, and I'm just more comfortable in there.

Yeah, People's Bakery is pretty good. And they have doughnuts.

In tangentially related news, Full Of Bull is still open (somehow). And still slow. But the food (some of it, anyway) is actually worthwhile, IMO. A buddy of mine started working at MG&E, so we've been going there more. I'm not a big fan of the FOB, but the Big Dip (i.e., French dip) is pretty good.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm

I stopped by Bub's on Monday, and a sign on the door said they were closed for remodeling.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues