MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

new country becoming... metal?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

new country becoming... metal?

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 pm

With the new 47-3 country music channel (that my wife likes to watch on occasion), I have noticed a lot of the new country songs and artists showing many similarities to the '80s hair metal and arena rock I grew up on. The look, the hair, the big stacks of amps, tatoos, screaming guitar solos, and distortion seems to becoming the standard.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Musicians are always rehashing, reinventing, and mixing genres to be more unique. But I can just hear all the country purists hating every bit of it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: new country becoming... metal?

Postby dave esmond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

eriedasch wrote:Not necessarily a bad thing. Musicians are always rehashing, reinventing, and mixing genres to be more unique. But I can just hear all the country purists hating every bit of it.

Blame Dann Huff. He's been turning Nashville country into LA Hair Metal for years. And he's quite proud of it. Not my cup of tea at all. But then I was never a fan of his metal stuff.

I personally find nothing new or unique about it. I actually do like a fair amount of new country but way too much of sounds, like you say, just like hair metal and arena rock to me. A lot of which I like also. I just can't call it new ideas.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Wouldn't we be then calling it Nü Country?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

nevermore wrote:Wouldn't we be then calling it Nü Country?

Bravo!

I like that so much better then the standard "Journey with fiddle" label. Then again the "metal" groups they seem to be copying weren't very metal to start with.

Still...gotta love the umlaut.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey, if Hootie can be the new Charley Pride, anything is possible. I prefer mine to be old country (50s, 60s, early 70s) though.

With all due respect and apologies to the great Charley Pride.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Speed Grass (speed metal + bluegrass) has been around at least since the Austin City Lounge Lizards started mixing and matching--granted, they don't take themselves (or anyone else) seriously, but still. I'd also observe that, to my ears, a lot of the "new country" sounded suspiciously like "old Vegas."

Nü Country treatment might rescue some value from "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 am

I think part of it is because country is the only refuge for sales of straight ahead rock these days. If you are a band that plays instruments, it seems like you have to be vaguely punk-inspired, or be in a niche market like the "cookie monster" metal stuff, Dream Theater-inspired prog bands, etc.

I know everyone insists their era of music was the greatest, but I really liked going out to a bar and seeing some band hack through "Never Been any Reason", "Riding the Storm out", or "I Just Want to make love to you" on a Friday night. If they happened to do a good job at it - so much the better.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby George Brown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:29 am

47-3 country music channel is becoming very popular , and yes the metal music is raising these days . but music is music i listen it to relax my mind only .
George Brown

Return to General Music