MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 am

Last movie I saw was Predators at Star. Before that was Avatar in IMAX 3-D at Star. Which I walked out of 30 minutes in because it looked and sounded so awful. I was so disappointed. At least I got my $30 back though.

In fact, the only reason I went to Predators is because I bought some Blu-ray off Amazon and it included a free ticket to either Predators, Knight & Day, or The A-Team. It looked and sounded like such shit, that I couldn't even focus on the plot (not like it really had one anyway). If it wouldn't have been free for us to go, I would have left again.

My point is this, I think the theater is just complete garbage compared to HD at home with good surround sound. I just can't justify the theater anymore. Once I finally saw the Avatar Blu-ray at home, I was blown away. I was so glad I didn't let the theater ruin it for me.

My gf's always wanting to go to the movies and I'm always saying no simply because I don't want the theater to ruin the movie for me. She says I'm weird and I'm just being picky.

Please tell me there's other people out there who think the theater is becoming obsolete and much rather prefer their home theater like I do?

If you're still a big theater buff, can you explain why and what you think it is I'm missing? And if you've been passing on the theater for your own home set-up, please speak up.

I can't be the only one!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 am

The chief advantage of theaters is that they're the only place where you can legitimately see the newest releases. Unless you want to shell out $20,000 for this.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 am

I totally disagree. I LOVE seeing a movie in a regular movie theatre with a gargantuan screen. I have a 52" plasma and Blue-ray player at home. I love it, but it's still not the same.

That having been said, I choose the movies I choose to watch in a theatre with care. It's become so ridiculously expensive (esp. if you enjoy the whole popcorn/soda thing, which is usually even more expensive than the ticket). For instance, I am very much looking forward to seeing "Black Swan" at the Sundance the opening weekend of the 17th, as I've heard the cinematography is stunning and would be diminished by watching at home.

(Btw, totally diagree with you about "Avatar"...loved it on the big screen.)
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 am

Avatar on IMAX in 3D was beautiful for me and the only reason to go see that movie. I loved it in the theater and since I can't do 3D at home (yet...) I wouldn't buy it or even consider watching it again. But there's fewer and fewer movies that are worth it for me, mostly the 3D ones and not the retro-fitted 3D that looks like crap. I'll agree with Aaron that Black Swan looks like it will be worth it, but Social Network slipped by me since I figure it will be fine at home. I'm so behind on watching movies that I don't really miss seeing the new releases.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

Love the theater. The greasy sweat-smelling seats, the delicious overpriced foodcrap, the previews, the coughing guy sitting in back, the texting couple sitting in front, the sounds of popcorn containers being shaken occasionally. Being part of a crowd sharing an experience.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 am

Love the theater but hardly ever find myself in one. Just never seem to have the time. Recently saw Due Date using a gift card we got last xmas. There have been plenty of theater worthy flicks since then that I wish I had made the time to see on the big screen.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm

supaunknown wrote:the delicious overpriced foodcrap

One of my favorite Forum phrases of the year.

We don't go very often, but I enjoy it when we do. We don't buy any of the delicious overpriced foodcrap, which at least makes the experience more affordable.

Mmmmmm.....foodcrap!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm a creature of habit and ritual and consider concession-bought popcorn and fountain soda an essential part of the moviegoing experience. Gotsa have the overpriced foodcrap.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Used to go all the time, back in the Majestic coupon (and UW film society days), but in the last five years I've seen exactly four movies in a theater (in order): Spirited Away, Nixon/Frost, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Waiting for Superman. With the exception of the last one (kind of a social obligation...), it was a sudden whim. And I enjoyed them all. Nevertheless, I never think of going. A bad movie, for me, is like a bad concert--it makes me sad, and then I don't feel like going again.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Year's back, a girlfriend's kid left "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub laying around and I got hooked. My favorite movie theater scene ever is in that one. The 12 year old protagonist and his adolescent werewolf friend/protector from an alternate universe were hiding out by going to a movie and the werewolf kid says "I want some of that white stuff, Jack. But none of the pee."
"None of the what?"
"That yellow stuff. Isn't it pee? That's what it smells like."
Grin. "Okay, popcorn without the imitation butter. Got it."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:34 pm

My favorite movie theater scene is in Tony Manero. The guy is pissed because Saturday Night Fever has been replaced by Grease. So he murders the projectionist.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

I also enjoyed the overpriced foodcrap, but haven't been to a movie theater in ages. The last time I was in a theater I believe I saw the second Lord of the Rings movie. I can't even remember when that came out!

Why don't I go? 1) DH doesn't like to go: 2) spendy; 3) annoying people; 4) lack of adult beverages; 5) can't pause the film for a potty break; and finally 6) it generally isn't acceptable to wear my pj's out in public.

So the moral of the story is that I like to drink beer in my jammies.
clyde

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:26 pm

clyde wrote:So the moral of the story is that I like to drink beer in my jammies.

If one thing defines what I have become it might be the fact that in a movie theater these days, at least once and often several times, I find myself reaching for the remote so I can back it up five seconds and watch that last scene again.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:10 am

Remember_Me wrote:Before that was Avatar in IMAX 3-D at Star. Which I walked out of 30 minutes in because it looked and sounded so awful. I was so disappointed.

The last movie I saw in the theater also was Avatar in IMAX 3D. Not a big fan of the movie, but everything looked and sounded just as it was supposed to.
Remember_Me wrote:Please tell me there's other people out there who think the theater is becoming obsolete?

Nope, you're all alone.

Seriously though, although I agree with your girlfriend when she says you're weird and just being picky, I don't think you're alone in that a lot of people don't go out to theaters as much anymore.

I have some complaints directed towards Marcus Theatres...
First off, I was never a fan of Marcus always giving priority to Point over East when it came to things like expansion (IMAX) and technical upgrades (3D).
Yes yes I know the Ultrascreen is of relative size to IMAX-Mpx, but part of an IMAX is paying for use of the IMAX brand and you cannot screen them on an "Ultrascreen".

Another complaint would be Marcus seemingly putting their Madison plans for Tradewinds Business Center and the replacement for Eastgate on the slowtrack.
Wasn't happy that they chose Sun Prairie over Madison, and wasn't happy that the Eastgate replacement will likely take precedent over Tradewinds. I'd like Tradewinds to be state-of-the-art, but somehow I feel like it's going to be no-frills, at least when compared to the Eastgate replacement.
They also planned a downtown Milwaukee location, but I don't think that's gotten off the ground yet either.
They broke the bank on their flagship Marcus Majestic in Brookfield, and are probably somewhat reluctant to build new theaters just yet.

Marcus is not the leader of the pack when it comes to 3D cinema in Madison or Milwaukee. In Madison there's the AMC IMAX 3D in Fitchburg (as of 2009 the AMC in Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa also has an IMAX), and in Milwaukee (Glendale) the IPic Theatres at Bayshore Town Center have Xpand 3D, which many 3D enthusiasts consider to be superior to both Real-D and Dolby 3D.
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to give my money to locally owned & operated Marcus, but when looking for the best 3D experience, Marcus is lagging behind the competition.

I'd like to see Madison get at least one screen with Xpand 3D, and D-Box motion seating come to Madison/Milwaukee.

Lastly, aside from movie prices these days, would be that theaters don't seem to crank things up to 11 like they used to.
I remember seeing Terminator 2 and Backdraft at a Cineplex Odeon in suburban Minneapolis back when they came out and they'd crank it. I want to feel the explosions. Multi-plex's these days pussy out.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 pm

I've gone to a few theatres recently after a hiatus of sorts. All the talk about people not going to theatres anymore seems a bit over-the-top, as each time I went recently--to Star, Sundance (twice) and Point--they were all jammed with people. The line at Sundance was clear out into the mall and the crowds were about 8 deep at the concession stand at Star.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies