MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby TAsunder » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:Corner of John Nolen, Wilson and Blair this morning is a skating rink. That's one of the bigger downtown intersections. I get the salt thing, but when you have cars that are moving at responsibly slow speeds and still nearly sliding into each other, then you've got a dangerous situation. You don't have to use salt to remedy that, but you have to do something.

That intersection is consistently a piece of crap during winter. I've complained about it often on this forum. It's hypocrisy for the city to write tickets to people doing a poor job on their sidewalks while at the same time the city does a horrific job on that intersection with both the roads and sidewalks.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Snow removal certainly sucks but they do top-quality work when it comes to ticketing. Yesterday, a certain someone whom I love very much parked my car in front of a bus stop. It's my fault, I had moved on to digging her car out at the time but I really should have noticed where she had parked, I know the neighborhood better. So Schmidt tows my car. This is all reasonable, I'm out 80 bucks, I can deal with that.

But then Schmidt leaves my car on the Snow Emergency side of the street. So at 1:18 AM (only 18 minutes, so efficient!), I get another 60 dollar ticket on top of my 80. To add insult to injury, once I finally find my car, it's been plowed-in and it takes me 30 minutes to get my car out of it's involuntary parking spot.

The city has e-mail services for just about everything. It'd be nice if I could register my license plate "Oh hey, your car has been towed" automated text message or, in a dream world, "You've got parking tickets."

Oh, and to get back on topic, it's a skating rink moving my car the two blocks to a new parking spot. I take care not to crash my car, as I think it's total value is under $140.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Brainraid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Jason, I think you're being unrealistic. Highways 73 and 19 east of Madison are still completely icy, rutted messes now. I would have expected the same for most of Madison. Rain, then wet snow, then sub-zero temps make for a crust that no amount of salt is going to immediately fix.
Brainraid

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:22 pm

persia wrote:Does anyone besides me shovel instead of using a snow blower? Where do you put the snow form the driveway in the part that runs through the nature strip? I mean three shovels full and the nature strip is over your head. I usually end up carrying it to a part of the nature strip that doesn't have too much snow but that adds a whole lot of work. What's the most efficient way to shovel?

What the fuck is a "nature strip?" Do you mean the street terrace?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:What the fuck is a "nature strip?"

I suspect this comment wandered over from the pubic hair thread.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm

I dated a girl with a nature strip. For all the trouble she went through to maintain it, she should have just shaved the whole thing.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Marvell wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:What the fuck is a "nature strip?"

I suspect this comment wandered over from the pubic hair thread.

The same thing ran through my head when I read that. Warped minds think alike.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm

I, in fact, don't know many people that think Madison doesn't suck at snow removal.

Had the same exact experience I had last year at this time, which is to say, being in Milwaukee, hearing people laugh at how awful a job Madison does with snow vs. roads.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

That being said, I'd like to spend a winter not reading Jason's Minneapolis-in-the-wintertime nostalgia. Having never lived in Minneapolis but having played a butt-ton of shows there, my experience is that their snow removal is spottier than hell. Some neighborhoods get great treatment, some are allowed to wait for springtime.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I live in a flat area, no terracing here, I do know people in Shorewood Hills that have terraced their land though...

green union terrace chair wrote:
persia wrote:Does anyone besides me shovel instead of using a snow blower? Where do you put the snow form the driveway in the part that runs through the nature strip? I mean three shovels full and the nature strip is over your head. I usually end up carrying it to a part of the nature strip that doesn't have too much snow but that adds a whole lot of work. What's the most efficient way to shovel?

What the fuck is a "nature strip?" Do you mean the street terrace?
persia
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Look, if you want to read tale upon tale of pasty eating or whatever-the-hell these Cornish SOBs do, then go to www.rrnatespinstheoldies.com or whatever... but my formative years in the Twin Cities were downright bucolic, I tell ya. Delightful! Especially in winter!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:Look, if you want to read tale upon tale of pasty eating or whatever-the-hell these Cornish SOBs do, then go to http://www.rrnatespinstheoldies.com or whatever... but my formative years in the Twin Cities were downright bucolic, I tell ya. Delightful! Especially in winter!

A) Pasty tastes wonderful in the wintertime.

B) That URL is incorrect. It's http://www.anythingrrnatesaysisfascinating.org - for you trainspotters, this is a non-profit, tax deductible organization.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:08 pm

It's interesting but the little piece of land between the street and walk seems to have quite a few names. It's "nature strip" in Australia, verge in New Zealand and the UK, Parkway or Parkway strip seem to be the most common names in the US but then there's also Boulevard, Devil Strip, Tree Lawn and Tree Belt among others. Who knew the thing had so many names....

Whatever you want to call it, it is too narrow to take all the snow.
persia
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:15 pm

persia wrote:It's interesting but the little piece of land between the street and walk seems to have quite a few names. It's "nature strip" in Australia, verge in New Zealand and the UK, Parkway or Parkway strip seem to be the most common names in the US but then there's also Boulevard, Devil Strip, Tree Lawn and Tree Belt among others. Who knew the thing had so many names....

In Madison, at least, it is called a "terrace," both in the common vernacular and by the city in official documentation and work orders.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Interesting, Wikipedia doesn't even offer that as an alternative. So Madison has it's own name for it? How special.

green union terrace chair wrote:
persia wrote:It's interesting but the little piece of land between the street and walk seems to have quite a few names. It's "nature strip" in Australia, verge in New Zealand and the UK, Parkway or Parkway strip seem to be the most common names in the US but then there's also Boulevard, Devil Strip, Tree Lawn and Tree Belt among others. Who knew the thing had so many names....

In Madison, at least, it is called a "terrace," both in the common vernacular and by the city in official documentation and work orders.
persia
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe