MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:20 pm

persia wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:What the fuck is a "nature strip?" Do you mean the street terrace?

I live in a flat area, no terracing here, I do know people in Shorewood Hills that have terraced their land though...

I don't know whether that's a "wokka wokka" or you honestly aren't familiar with the use of the term "terrace." But I'll say that I've never, ever, heard that piece of land referred to as a "nature strip."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_lawn

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/garden/27garden.html

http://dare.wisc.edu/ (Go, UW!)

(And I grew up in Neenah, where we called it a "terrace" as well. So it isn't just Madison.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:25 pm

I honestly have never heard it called a terrace, does this usage go beyond Madison and apparently Neenah or is it unique to here? Of all the names it seems to have I admit that the best name is "hell strip." It beats the others hands down.

TheBookPolice wrote:
persia wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:What the fuck is a "nature strip?" Do you mean the street terrace?

I live in a flat area, no terracing here, I do know people in Shorewood Hills that have terraced their land though...

I don't know whether that's a "wokka wokka" or you honestly aren't familiar with the use of the term "terrace." But I'll say that I've never, ever, heard that piece of land referred to as a "nature strip."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_lawn

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/garden/27garden.html

http://dare.wisc.edu/ (Go, UW!)

(And I grew up in Neenah, where we called it a "terrace" as well. So it isn't just Madison.)
persia
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Nature Strip is a pretty awful name among the options listed in this thread. What's natural about 3 feet of sod between two chunks of concrete? Terrace isn't unique to WI.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Where I come from (which is to say, here), we don't refer to it by name it all. We observe it and maintain it and once in a while help it out with a trim, but we don't talk about it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:44 pm

I always just call it the median (or "median strip", if I'm feeling saucy.) I know it's wrong, but I never knew what to call'em, and whenever I say median, everyone instantly knows what I mean. Besides, since a median is a divider between lanes of traffic, it's technically correct -- it divides a lane of car traffic from a lane of pedestrian traffic. Yeah, I know, it's still wrong. But all the other options suck (and are truly unfamiliar to me. I only know Madisonians call them terraces because it's come up on TDPF before.) I'm sticking with median.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I also like "curb". While the curb would technically be the concrete on the road side of the strip it works well for the whole damned thing as well. For instance. You put the trash out on the curb on trash day. You put your soiled mattress and bong water stained couch on the curb for hippie xmas.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:52 pm

We should map out it's usage, according to Wikipedia it's Boulevard in Minnesota and Illinois uses Parkway, Tree Belt is the word in Michigan, so that pretty much just leaves Iowa, so is Iowa "terraced?"

My use of nature strip is only because the only time in my life I've actually had to give the thing a name was when I was in Australia and I naively figured there was only one name for the thing. From now on I'll just use the generic "Parkway" if I ever need to name it again (which isn't likely).

fisticuffs wrote:Nature Strip is a pretty awful name among the options listed in this thread. What's natural about 3 feet of sod between two chunks of concrete? Terrace isn't unique to WI.
persia
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 pm

In the sunset village area, it's also known as a parking lot.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Brainraid wrote:Rain, then wet snow, then sub-zero temps make for a crust that no amount of salt is going to immediately fix.

Yep. The same thing happened last year with Snowmagedd... ok, I just can't make myself type the whole buzzword.

It's not just Madison. I think all area communities are struggling with the hardpack.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 pm

persia wrote:My use of Foster's is only because the only time in my life I've actually had to give the stuff a name was when I was in Australia and I naively figured there was only one name for the thing. From now on I'll just use the generic "beer" if I ever need to name it again (which isn't likely).

In my mind, this is what you said.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Am I the only one annoyed by the breach of protocol of making new comments above the quoted statement of the previous post that the new comments are in response to?

It's:

comment, comment, comment

Reply, reply, reply.

Not:

Reply, reply, reply.

comment, comment, comment

...sheesh.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 am

Average Joe wrote:Am I the only one annoyed by the breach of protocol of making new comments above the quoted statement of the previous post that the new comments are in response to?

As this thread's motion-seconder, I will agree on this point as well. Makes quoting a real pain in the ass, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:09 am

I was raised calling it a "Tree Lawn."

Back to the topic at hand; snow removal in my neighborhood was great. I'll second Cottage Grove Rd. and it's once-again horrible plowing attention. Some on here have indicated the plows were out earlier in the week when they didn't need to be. In our area, they weren't and I'm guessing they weren't out on Cottage Grove Rd., either. That is the problem in my opinion. That earlier snow was left un-touched. In came the freezing rain making it a thick nasty slush, and then it froze during the storm and now the road has a thick ice base. When we think it shouldn't be cleared, I think it should be. At a minimum, the snow should be cleared off of the main thoroughfares in this town, always. I don't think it's as important in the neighborhoods. It was the same thing last year. Un-touched, freezing rain lead to a rutted awful mess not just on that road but the highways as well.

What really irritates me though are the folks who blow their snow all over the road. Is it too much to blow that snow on to your property? I swear, one street in my area is like a series of speed-bumps because every other individual decides it's the city's fault they had to clear it from their driveway. When it's done during the storm I have news for you; it just becomes your neighbors problem and the guy two houses down, his problem now becomes yours. The snow in the road eventually makes its way back to the curb and driveways when plowed. It's a bit like scooping up water from the lakeshore and tossing it back into the lake hoping it doesn't come back. Same thing for corner dwellers. You are either screwing up the road for everyone else, or you are just adding to the snow that will end up back on your corner at some point.

Yes it would be nice if the plow drivers could help you out a little bit and maybe try and clear off the piles when they have the front-end loaders out but you did buy a home on a corner. Deal with it. As a property owner I get the frustration and have had to dig out of 4' piles of ice and snow after I had already cleared a spot but throwing it back into the street doesn't do anything but inconvenience my neighbors.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:48 am

Having never run a plow strategy in my life, I was thinking about the streets that should be plowed to the asphalt within 24 hours of the end of snow. Is that a reasonable expectation?

Here's the beginning of my list:

University/Johnson
Midvale
Mineral Point
John Nolen
East Wash
West Wash
Park
Monona Drive/Atwood/Willy
Stoughton Road
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 am

Add in Fish Hatch, PD, M, and Gammon.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe