MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Brink Boys To Open Retro Tavern On W Main

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Brink Boys To Open Retro Tavern On W Main

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Maybe the boys could just revive the Bally's Tomfooleries franchise.

Like.
From the Barnaby's History page, which was bought out by Bally's in 1981, there used to be a Barnaby's in Madison on "Washington St.", and I'm going to assume they mean East Washington.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Maybe the boys could just revive the Bally's Tomfooleries franchise.

Wasn't there one at the corner of Mineral Point and Grand Canyon, on that commerce-foresaken spot of land that has seen ten restaurants in the last 30 years? Logo was an iconized Theodore Roosevelt?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:

Wasn't there one at the corner of Mineral Point and Grand Canyon, on that commerce-foresaken spot of land that has seen ten restaurants in the last 30 years? Logo was an iconized Theodore Roosevelt?

Oh yeah, that one's listed as well.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

"Matt Brink now reports that he and his father, Curtis Brink, have scrapped plans to renovate a three-story building at 111 W. Main St. and open a retro lounge called Club One Eleven.

He said the decision to pull the plug on the project followed contentious exchanges between members of the Alcohol License Review Committee and neighbors from Baskerville Condominiums and Inn on the Park.

Brink said they’d planned to open a full-service casual restaurant and bar in the building that would have employed between 15 and 20 people. They had planned to spend about $200,000 to renovate the building, which has been vacant for a decade. Before that it was Que Sera and, in the late 1970s and into the 1980s, the Going My Way gay bar.

One of the reasons the Brinks were interested in the property was that its liquor license had been kept current, which they mistakenly expected would make the process go smoothly.

The Brinks told the committee and the neighbors they expected that food sales would make up 50 percent to 60 percent of their business, but opponents weren’t buying it, citing the city’s density plan relating to alcohol sales.

“They were all riled up and all they could talk about was people puking outside their windows,” he said. “This has been a very frustrating process. They live Downtown, but the only thing they want happening there is Concerts on the Square.”
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:07 pm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 am

It's all such a huge crock of shit.
The ALRC in both Madison and Milwaukee really need to be put in check.
And the "hyper-democracy" we have here in Madison is out of control.
I mean why in the hell does a Hotel have a say?, or Condominiums full of people who chose to live in the heart of downtown? It's all just incredibly absurd. The only thing I can come up with is that they must have a grudge against the Brink family. I mean Curt Brink had the nerve to propose a building taller than the Capital for golden lady's sake! :roll:
Listen, if a reputable business owner has the plan and the funds in place, that business should be granted a chance to establish itself, regardless of what type of business it may be.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 am

That's classic. The Inn on the Park complained. That gem on the square should have been condemned years ago.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 pm

I don't know why I continue to hold onto hope that some bar will pop up that both targets and manages to attract the seemingly non-existent 'happy medium' crowd of Madison.
Which means traversing the obstacle course to find that sweet spot between the extremes of yuppies/yupsters/YP's, college kids and die hard sports fans, too cool for school east side hipsters, mouthy armchair intellectuals and overeducated blowhards, and complete losers, salt of the earth rabble rousers and alcoholics.
I've never really found a bar in Madison with an atmosphere I really felt at home in, and a crowd whom I've had enough in common with to make it a regular spot.
Frequent bar-going "Madisonians" as it be, in general, suck donkey balls.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 am

MadMind75 wrote:I don't know why I continue to hold onto hope that some bar will pop up that both targets and manages to attract the seemingly non-existent 'happy medium' crowd of Madison.
Which means traversing the obstacle course to find that sweet spot between yuppies/yupsters/YP's, college kids and die hard sports fans, too cool for school east side hipsters and mouthy armchair intellectuals, and complete losers and alcoholics.
I've never really found a bar in Madison with an atmosphere I really felt at home in, and a crowd whom I've had enough in common with to make it a regular spot.
Frequent bar-going "Madisonians" as it be, in general, suck donkey balls.

Map out the Venn diagram on that "sweet spot." That should kill off any remaining hope, since it doesn't exist.

In my circle of acquaintances the only places on which everyone can agree are the Crystal Corner and the Jade Monkey. Does that make them happy medium bars? I doubt it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:48 am

MadMind75 wrote:I don't know why I continue to hold onto hope that some bar will pop up that both targets and manages to attract the seemingly non-existent 'happy medium' crowd of Madison.

What makes you think the Brinks had that in mind for their now abandoned business plan?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Frequent bar-going "Madisonians" as it be, in general, suck donkey balls.

OBJECTION...speculation.
(And, as a frequent bar-going Madisonian, it hurts my feelings.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Average Joe wrote:

What makes you think the Brinks had that in mind for their now abandoned business plan?

I don't. I just keep hoping for a place that manages to do the impossible. And most spots that start out with a target audience eventually wisen up and realize that they're open to whomever keeps them in business. It's an ideal generally not afforded in smaller cities.
Though I think that my kind of peeps (around here at least), those in my age range, are the ones who tend to stay at home.

wallrock wrote:
Which means traversing the obstacle course to find that sweet spot between yuppies/yupsters/YP's, college kids and die hard sports fans, too cool for school east side hipsters and mouthy armchair intellectuals, and complete losers and alcoholics.

Map out the Venn diagram on that "sweet spot." That should kill off any remaining hope, since it doesn't exist.

Perhaps I worded my post incorrectly. I don't want to find a sweet spot or an amalgamation of all those types, where they'd all be happy visiting. Truth is I want to avoid all those aforementioned groups altogether and walk the fine line circumventing them entirely.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:56 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I think that my kind of peeps (around here at least), those in my age range, are the ones who tend to stay at home.

Truer words...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails