MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am

For a second year in a row no sand was laid at the intersection of Coldspring Ave and Monona Dr, which is an uphill/downhill intersection. The intersection is still covered with hard packed snow and ice. While approaching red lights vehicles lose momentum, some can't regain traction after the light turns green and get stuck causing a blocked intersection.

Looks like the unnecessary Overture Center subsidy is cutting into necessities again.
HOMOsapien

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 am

Average Joe wrote:Am I the only one annoyed by the breach of protocol of making new comments above the quoted statement of the previous post that the new comments are in response to?

It's:

comment, comment, comment

Reply, reply, reply.

Not:

Reply, reply, reply.

comment, comment, comment

...sheesh.

Probably just another idiosyncrasy persia picked up in Australia.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Hmm, most of the Forums (Fora?) I've seen seem (in the US and elsewhere) to do the comments before or interlaced into the message that they are replying to. Putting them on the bottom makes them harder to find, but I suppose encourages trimming the message...

Is there a rule about that on this board?
persia
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:Having never run a plow strategy in my life, I was thinking about the streets that should be plowed to the asphalt within 24 hours of the end of snow. Is that a reasonable expectation?

Not once the rain has switched to ice, then snow, then the temps drop enough for salt to stop working. Once the hardpack develops, you're pretty much stuck with it until the temps rise, or break the plows trying to scrape to the asphalt. Much like last year, there was a short window of opportunity.

Incidentally, I drove around both downtown Madison and Fitchburg last night, and Madison's streets are generally in better condition, for what it's worth.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Brainraid wrote:Jason, I think you're being unrealistic. Highways 73 and 19 east of Madison are still completely icy, rutted messes now.

They're still total ass today. 19 between Marshall and Waterloo is ridiculous.

We called it a boulevard in my hometown.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Bad Gradger wrote:Now, on the topic of a Vikings fan complaining about snow removal...

Is that a Metrodome joke?

Seriously, they do it right in Minneapolis. Declare a snow emergency early, tow all violating cars to an impound lot and scrape those streets.

Incidentally, the City of Lakes (I'm referring to Minneapolis here) isn't wild about using salt, either. After all, they have some pretty spectacular lakes of their own to protect, all of which see significantly more recreation than Madison's big two. Yet they manage to get the main streets clear soon after the snow stops.

Sorry to burst your snow globe Joycie, but both Minneapolis and St. Paul have fallen down horribly in cleaning up after Saturday's storm. It's Tuesday and schools are still closed with many streets close to impassable. The usual political bobble-heads were on the news last night with lame excuses...
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

persia wrote:Forums (Fora?)

Either is correct, although you're certainly less likely to be misunderstood if you use the former.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I always just call it the median (or "median strip", if I'm feeling saucy.)

Growing up in suburban Milwaukee we also called it the median, but after 40 years in Madison I'm now a terrace guy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Growing up in suburban Milwaukee we also called it the median, but after 40 years in Madison I'm now a terrace guy.

So......this is you? Mystery solved.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 pm

c02 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Growing up in suburban Milwaukee we also called it the median, but after 40 years in Madison I'm now a terrace guy.

So......this is you? Mystery solved.

No, this is Hank. He's on the left:

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Close. I did hang out at the Milky Way Drive-In on Port Washington Road. So did the writers for Happy Days. They modeled Arnold's Drive-In on the Milky Way (and on the Pig and Whistle on Capital Drive). But I wasn't a greaser. I even had a madras shirt back in the mid 60s.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:41 pm

I grew up in Michigan and we called it a boulevard. We also had a lot of lake effect snow and the roads were usually pretty passable- I think because the city sent out the plows and salt trucks as soon as the first few flakes started to fall. Granted, it's a much smaller city than Madison, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for Madison to handle it the same way.

As usual, Highway T/TT from N/I-94 to Marshall is a disaster right now. I would recommend avoiding it if you can.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Add to the list "lawn extension." (Michigan)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 pm

My #2 tried to stop at Johnson and Mills. It started sliding instead of stopping. The driver turned the wheel to avoid hitting the traffic light. We were lucky we didn't hit anything. He advised me to be careful of the ice on the street. Didn't city crews used to maintain bus stop areas like that?

As I boarded the #13, I was advised that buses are still sliding a lot and running late a lot. This is Tuesday night. It snowed Saturday into Sunday.

Is this a preview of Pottersville?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm

This is exactly the same weather pattern we had last year: cold rain, heavy snow, deep freeze. Not even the mystical Minnesota salt trucks of Joyce's boyhood dreams could've gotten to bare pavement by now. Can anyone seriously argue this isn't a massive improvement? Are the roads covered with rutted washboard ice 2 inches thick?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe