MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 am

From my first and only snow removal experience, the city fails on every level.

Being an outsider, I have read on up this town. Here are the flaws.

1: Coming from New York City, we knew that laying down SALT is critical to keeping roads ice free. It does not matter about the temps, lay down tons of salt and it will still be there to help when the temps go above 15 degrees. Also, SALT every single road multiple times.

2: SAND all intersections heavily. I did not find this to be the case in Madison in this last storm.

3: I did not see follow up plows today to remove left over ice.

4: All the snow should be taken care of like they did in New York City - put the snow into dump trucks and cart it to the river, and ore it physically away. The idiotic snow mounds at the intersections directly around the capitol are a perfect example.

5: I was told by one of my co-workers, a local, that the real reason the Mayor does not remove the snow correctly has nothing to do with the budget, but that he is obsessed with the lakes. (?) She claims the Mayor would be fine with a few people dying due to the lack of salting, plowing, and sanding, than having the lakes 'bloom' during the summer. If this is true, the mayor should be ashamed of himself for putting lake water above the lives of citizens.

Finally, to the residents of Johnson and Gorham, PLEASE dig your cars out. Letting your cars sit encrusted in snow reminds of of the parasite class neighborhoods in Brooklyn back home. It looks tacky.
TimeMasterFlex

Postby persia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:00 am

1. Salt only works at temperatures greater than -10 degrees (15 F). It's been colder than that most of the days this week.

2. The near East Side is a parasite class neighborhood. Once you've lived here long enough you'll realise it...
persia
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 am

Welcome back... Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack...

...Sheppy.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 am

TimeMasterFlex wrote:From my first and only snow removal experience, the city fails on every level.

Firstly, Welcome! Enough with pleasantries
TimeMasterFlex wrote:1: Coming from New York City, we knew that laying down SALT is critical to keeping roads ice free. It does not matter about the temps, lay down tons of salt and it will still be there to help when the temps go above 15 degrees. Also, SALT every single road multiple times.

We have a lake system not just in Madison, but Dane Co. It is a great system and if healthy is also a great source of revenue from those who wish to use it for fishing, boating, etc...That salt destroys that system. Not only would Lakes Mendota and Monona be affected but, Wingra, Waubesa and the Yahara river down through Stoughton. I agree that we need salt but we also need to use it sparingly. It's not a "Madison" thing. Learn more here. We lose life in the lakes, we lose dollars.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:2: SAND all intersections heavily. I did not find this to be the case in Madison in this last storm.

Agreed.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:3: I did not see follow up plows today to remove left over ice.

I did and I saw one this morning as well. Look harder.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:4: All the snow should be taken care of like they did in New York City - put the snow into dump trucks and cart it to the river, and ore it physically away. The idiotic snow mounds at the intersections directly around the capitol are a perfect example.

Seriously? Where would you propose that snow be placed? Farmer Ted's land? If you haven't noticed there is no equivalent to the Hudson here to cart it off and dump into the ocean.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:5: I was told by one of my co-workers, a local, that the real reason the Mayor does not remove the snow correctly has nothing to do with the budget, but that he is obsessed with the lakes. (?) She claims the Mayor would be fine with a few people dying due to the lack of salting, plowing, and sanding, than having the lakes 'bloom' during the summer. If this is true, the mayor should be ashamed of himself for putting lake water above the lives of citizens.

I don't like Mayor "Dave" but your co-worker is an idiot. Drivers with low behind-the-wheel I.Q. driving in conditions they shouldn't be in, kill people. Thousands of folks get around without causing an accident. Tell your co-worker to please get off the road.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:Finally, to the residents of Johnson and Gorham, PLEASE dig your cars out. Letting your cars sit encrusted in snow reminds of of the parasite class neighborhoods in Brooklyn back home. It looks tacky.

I don't have as much of a problem with the owner(s) of those cars as I do with the city not ticketing and towing those vehicles. Ticket and tow accordingly and the problem becomes solved.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 am

c02 wrote:Seriously?

That would be "no."
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 am

c02 wrote:
TimeMasterFlex wrote:From my first and only snow removal experience, the city fails on every level.

Firstly, Welcome! Enough with pleasantries
TimeMasterFlex wrote:1: Coming from New York City, we knew that laying down SALT is critical to keeping roads ice free. It does not matter about the temps, lay down tons of salt and it will still be there to help when the temps go above 15 degrees. Also, SALT every single road multiple times.

We have a lake system not just in Madison, but Dane Co. It is a great system and if healthy is also a great source of revenue from those who wish to use it for fishing, boating, etc...That salt destroys that system. Not only would Lakes Mendota and Monona be affected but, Wingra, Waubesa and the Yahara river down through Stoughton. I agree that we need salt but we also need to use it sparingly. It's not a "Madison" thing. Learn more here. We lose life in the lakes, we lose dollars.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:2: SAND all intersections heavily. I did not find this to be the case in Madison in this last storm.

Agreed.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:3: I did not see follow up plows today to remove left over ice.

I did and I saw one this morning as well. Look harder.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:4: All the snow should be taken care of like they did in New York City - put the snow into dump trucks and cart it to the river, and ore it physically away. The idiotic snow mounds at the intersections directly around the capitol are a perfect example.

Seriously? Where would you propose that snow be placed? Farmer Ted's land? If you haven't noticed there is no equivalent to the Hudson here to cart it off and dump into the ocean.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:5: I was told by one of my co-workers, a local, that the real reason the Mayor does not remove the snow correctly has nothing to do with the budget, but that he is obsessed with the lakes. (?) She claims the Mayor would be fine with a few people dying due to the lack of salting, plowing, and sanding, than having the lakes 'bloom' during the summer. If this is true, the mayor should be ashamed of himself for putting lake water above the lives of citizens.

I don't like Mayor "Dave" but your co-worker is an idiot. Drivers with low behind-the-wheel I.Q. driving in conditions they shouldn't be in, kill people. Thousands of folks get around without causing an accident. Tell your co-worker to please get off the road.

TimeMasterFlex wrote:Finally, to the residents of Johnson and Gorham, PLEASE dig your cars out. Letting your cars sit encrusted in snow reminds of of the parasite class neighborhoods in Brooklyn back home. It looks tacky.

I don't have as much of a problem with the owner(s) of those cars as I do with the city not ticketing and towing those vehicles. Ticket and tow accordingly and the problem becomes solved.

The lake system and the revenue it brings to the city is NOT worth even one life taken on the road in winter due to the city refusing to salt/sand to protect the health of the lakes.

If people in this town truly think the lakes are more important than even ONE human life, then I must have moved to bizzaro land.
TimeMasterFlex

Postby Abdul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am

Folks I am tired of reading about how great things are in other city's wonderful snow removal. Minneapolis, what a joke. They never plow the residential streets. My daughter and her roomates were able to go out on the street on ice skates last year. This year the plan for residential streets is to pack the snow down and let people drive on it. And sand, sand is for the beach up there. And, the twin cities put out losts of salt on the main drags, far more than we do here.

And, did you drive in Sun Prairie, Middleton, or Fitchburg the dave after the storm? How about the County highways, other than the beltline? There were the same or worse than Madison.

And, let's not play that loss of life card. If people are killed in an accident during the winter it is almost always due to driving too fast for conditions. If the conditions are bad, SLOW DOWN.

Quit whining, its winter. Leave extra room between cars, start stopping earlier and if you really have to get somewhere leave early.
Abdul

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 pm

TimeMasterFlex wrote:If people in this town truly think the lakes are more important than even ONE human life, then I must have moved to bizzaro land.

An entire lake chain's ecosystem and it's related economy versus one human life? I'm willing to make a sacrifice ... maybe an east coaster. :P

Welcome to the forum. And to Wisconsin.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm

supaunknown wrote:
TimeMasterFlex wrote:If people in this town truly think the lakes are more important than even ONE human life, then I must have moved to bizzaro land.

An entire lake chain's ecosystem and it's related economy versus one human life? I'm willing to make a sacrifice ... maybe an east coaster. :P

Heck, I'd give up a human life and the health of all the lakes for just a single slice of REAL NEW YORK Style pizza.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Just so you know, new residents making observations that Madison is a bizarro world is taken as a compliment by most of us.

We still got it folks!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 pm

gargantua wrote:Just so you know, new residents making observations that Madison is a bizarro world is taken as a compliment by most of us.

We still got it folks!

Freeze frame jumping high five!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Abdul wrote:the dave after the storm?

I'm beginning to suspect this may the prob. Mayor Dave prefers to appoint grateful yes!men in key positions and get rid of anyone that disagrees with him. For the Streets department I want an expert willing to battle for the resources they obviously need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPBXfnIpYI
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Taco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Abdul wrote:the dave after the storm?

I'm beginning to suspect this may the prob. Mayor Dave prefers to appoint grateful yes!men in key positions and get rid of anyone that disagrees with him. For the Streets department I want an expert willing to battle for the resources they obviously need.

I agree completely. If Taco was your mayor, you wouldn't end up with a bad taste in your mouth - you'd have a smile on your face and a clear road to get you to the taco store.

With January 4th being the deadline, now is as good as any time to announce my candidacy for Mayor of Madison. Vote Taco people - put a little spice in your life!

Also - fuck that guy from NYC.
Taco
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 pm

What does "ore it physically away" mean?

And what borough are you from? No one FROM NYC says that they are from "New York City" in every single sentence....you're either from The City or from Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or The Bronx.

Just a pointer for the Sheppy wannabe!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:This is exactly the same weather pattern we had last year: cold rain, heavy snow, deep freeze. Not even the mystical Minnesota salt trucks of Joyce's boyhood dreams could've gotten to bare pavement by now. Can anyone seriously argue this isn't a massive improvement? Are the roads covered with rutted washboard ice 2 inches thick?

The ones I'm driving on are. namely University Ave.

Mpls. got 16 inches, we got barely a half-foot.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe