Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest: 27 breweries, 26 cheese makers

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest: 27 breweries, 26 cheese makers

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm

1/29/11, Alliant Energy Center

More details here: http://www.thedailypage.com/beercheese

Tickets available but, believe it or not, going somewhat quickly.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest: 27 breweries, 26 cheese make

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Haven't attended one of these yet, and I've heard varied reviews from folks I trust. The common complaint seems to be that the lines for beer were long and that when you finally get served they give you about a shot's worth, ya know, to taste. Comments?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Bull. I know I'm not entirely unbiased, but this thing was friggin' awesome last year. It was awesome just for the cheese--as a friend of mine doesn't drink beer and had a ball nonetheless--but the beer kind of makes it. Suffice it to say, I got myself a wee bit tipsy even with all that delicious, delicious cheese. (And the chocolates!)

Any problems were more organizational than practical, and insufficient to harsh any but the most Downer of Debbies' buzz. I expect this year's Fest will be even better than the last.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Bull. I know I'm not entirely unbiased, but this thing was friggin' awesome last year.

Seconded. I won tickets last year and absolutely loved it. I will return this year.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Thirded. I had an excellent time. I helped out at the Shipwrecked booth, so I got in for free, but would have had no problem paying for admission(which I'll be doing this year).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm excited to go to this despite the presence of a milk marketing board. The Madison Food and Wine show had less food and alcohol than this seemingly will. At least I got to decorate a cake though!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 pm

O.J. wrote:Thirded. I had an excellent time. I helped out at the Shipwrecked booth, so I got in for free, but would have had no problem paying for admission(which I'll be doing this year).

Shipwrecked from Door County? Hopefully you got to sample some beer from other booths, as Shipwrecked brews are very bland.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Also, their brisket was the worst I've ever had.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Only the second annual, and we're in the big room this year, which should mean a little more breathing room for the booths, who may adapt from last year and bring more taps and people to run them.

I'm more than a little biased, but I think that for a little winter beer fest, 27 breweries is pretty damn good... and all from Wisconsin.

And there's cheese! Really good cheese.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Spectacular event -- I had a blast last time and already have my tix for the next one.

Supa -- I don't recall any real long lines or having any trouble getting samples. And sure, they don't give you a full glass, but so what? Not only are there dozens more beers worth checking out, most places'll give you another glass of the same if you're so inclined.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:14 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:Thirded. I had an excellent time. I helped out at the Shipwrecked booth, so I got in for free, but would have had no problem paying for admission(which I'll be doing this year).

Shipwrecked from Door County? Hopefully you got to sample some beer from other booths, as Shipwrecked brews are very bland.

I'm probably a little biased as the brewmaster is a really nice guy(and got me in for free), so, I wouldn't describe them as bland, but would agree they're not exactly aggressive. And, yes, I sampled beers from all the non-Madison brewers.

As far as supa's comment, I've never been to the Brewpub, so I can't personally comment on the food, but every review I've heard has been less than satisfactory.

My only suggestion for the event would be to invite, say, Madison Sourdough, to add a little sustenance to the offerings. A small, quick sandwich of cheese and Bolzano's meat would do me good.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 am

O.J. wrote:My only suggestion for the event would be to invite, say, Madison Sourdough, to add a little sustenance to the offerings. A small, quick sandwich of cheese and Bolzano's meat would do me good.

That's a great idea. As much as I love both beer and cheese, a little bread during an event such as this would be welcomed.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:04 pm

OK, you convinced me. So how does this free/reduced fare cab thing work?
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Last year, I just called Union Cab about an hour before the event. We got picked up in a (fairly crowded) cab with others going to the event. That ride was free.
After the event, cabs were available right in front. Ticket stub was worth 50% off of the ride home.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Okay, so I'm saying this without any hype in my voice at all: Tickets are going very quickly for this event. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a sellout early in the day tomorrow.

You can still get tickets online through today, as long as they're available. You'll also save yourself $5, since they're $45 at the door.

http://www.thedailypage.com/beercheese

Also, I just snapped a photo of the beer sample checklist. Pretty impressive.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails