MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Movies You Want To See Released On DVD

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby MadMind » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:51 am

I'm both surprised and disappointed that the release of Jean Shepherd's A Christmas Story on virutally every format (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, with the 'Ultimate Collector's Edition' coming out on Blu-Ray Nov.4th), and it running 24 hours straight on TBS during christmas time, hasn't spurred the availability of Jean Shepherd's other (made for TV) movies.

I'd really like to see Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven Of Bliss (with Jerry O'Connell as Ralphie) from 1988 be released on DVD. This title is currently owned by Disney.

I'd also like to see Phantom of the Open Hearth circa 1976, Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters circa 1982 (Matt Dillon as Ralphie), and The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski circa 1983 be made commercially available (on DVD) for the first time in their existence.

Currently one of the only ways you can see them is by purchasing them from Sheptapes.com from a guy who transfers them onto DVD from his old VHS recordings.

On another note, 1970's When Dinosaur's Ruled The Earth has finally made it's way to DVD courtesy of a Best Buy exclusive.
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008 ... the-earth/
http://www.amazon.com/When-Dinosaurs-Ru ... 001DF9BIS/
http://www.rareoopdvds.com/movie?dvd=1227&movie=1687
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Movies You Want To See Released On DVD

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:28 am

Warner Brothers launches made-to-order DVD archive
Official Site

This is great news. Hopefully other movie studios will follow Warner Brothers' lead - if they do, it could negate this entire thread!
I wonder how many flicks on this thread from the eighties or earlier are from Warner Brothers (if any).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:09 am

I just found out that Night Of The Creeps has never received an official DVD release, and that it was just announced at the beginning of this month that it's finally going to be released in October.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:49 am

Oh man, there are a lot of things I'd like to see out on DVD. Dunno how I missed this thread previously, but it's never to late to chime in. (And I have to agree w/ Madmind's enthusiasm for "Night of the Creeps".)

What is it about early '80's horror that is so awesome? I can't put my finger on it, but there was something pretty good going on between, say 1979-1983.

I just watched "Strange Behavior" the other night - anyone seen that? It was pretty impressive.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:29 am

Mickey One, since I can't go to Cinematheque tomorrow night.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I found out that I Come In Peace starring Dolph Lundgren circa 1990 has never been released on region 1 DVD!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:27 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Along similar lines, I haven't seen Urgh! A Music War since high school.

I noticed just now that it is available through the Warner Bros. Archive.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 am

Godzilla (1985)
This film is able to be purchased on DVD in Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, Sweden, Thailand, Spain, Italy and France, but never legitimately in the United States and Canada. This also applies to 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante.
Godzilla 1985 Dr. Pepper Commercial

Big Man On Campus (1990)
Full Movie - Part I

American Job (1996)
Chris Smith's (director of American Movie) first film.
I haven't had the chance to see this movie, although Four Star Video does have it listed in their inventory.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies