MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Movies You Want To See Released On Blu-Ray

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Movies You Want To See Released On Blu-Ray

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 am

As a sort of companion piece to Movies You Want To See Released On DVD, what are some of the older movies you are waiting to be released on Blu-Ray the most?
And keep in mind, if it's never been released on DVD, it isn't going to magically appear on Blu-Ray.

I actually don't yet have a Blu-Ray player, but I like to keep up with tech and have already loaded up over 125 Blu-Ray titles on my Amazon wish list for when the day comes that I do own a Blu-Ray player and HDTV.

The catalog of Blu-Ray titles increases each month, and while there are many titles which will forever be relegated to standard-def DVD, many will also make the jump to high-def Blu-Ray.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: Movies You Want To See Released On Blu-Ray

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:20 am

The Abyss
Scarface
Star Wars
Titanic
Bloodsport (without the Timecop edition, I have it on HD DVD)
Pulp Fiction (not the imports)
The Island (not the import, which I did end up buying from Amazon UK anyway)

There's a bunch I have on HD DVD that aren't on bluray yet for some reason. Not that I care, I love my vast HD DVD collection. They look just as good as any bluray. I LOVE my Big Lebowski HD DVD! And my Dazed and Confused HD DVD. And Deer Hunter. And The Sting. And Being John Malkovich. And Meet Joe Black. And Breach. And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. And Mallrats. And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And The Breakfast Club. And Smokey and the Bandit. And Born on the Fourth of July. And The Game.

And probably some more that I can't think of. I have them all in HD and as far as I know, there's no bluray alternative yet.

Best thing is, I paid less than $4 for almost all my HD DVDs, and that's including postage and delivery!

I sure do love me some Amazon!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 am

Nice post!
I saw that about Bloodsport. If they combo'd it with Kickboxer (a lesser film [than Bloodsport] which somehow is sold separately on Blu-Ray) I'd be perfectly happy with it, but Timecop? Jean-Claude's best film definitely deserves it's own release.
I also liked The Island and saw that it's only available via import. I've read that with some import Blu-Ray's the main feature may work but sometimes extras will not.
Saw that Mr. Bean's Holiday (which was on HD-DVD) has finally been released on Blu, but only overseas so same deal there - and Amazon is asking somewhere around $40 for the import! WTF!
Same thing happened with The Goonies, we had to wait an extra two years for the 25th Anniversary Edition when Europe had it on Blu since 2008.

I have an HD-DVD player as well and a few titles, though none now that aren't also available on Blu. You named The Breakfast Club and that was released on Blu this past August. Although there are plenty of other Hughes films which haven't yet been released on a hi-def format (Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Weird Science, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Career Opportunities, The Great Outdoors etc.).
As far as titles that were released on HD-DVD that still aren't on Blu that I'm interested in include Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Game, Midnight Run, and Scent Of A Woman.

Sounds like The Abyss will happen, and as for Star Wars, as you may know it was announced back in August 2010 that all six Star Wars movies will be coming to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011. Now there's no way in hell I'll be forced to buy the prequels to get the original trilogy, so hopefully they'll release them separately soon thereafter.
As for Indiana Jones, there seems to be no set release date at this time. At one time it was said that the orignial Indiana Jones trilogy was to be released on Blu by the end of 2009. And as seen here, some form of remaster has been done. So I'm sure it's only a matter of time, question is, how much time?

Seems that with anything directed/produced by Lucas and/or Spielberg (E.T., Indiana Jones, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Willow), or Cameron for that matter, one can expect a long wait.

TRON was originally supposed to be released in November 2010, with no firm release date ever given, the month prior to Tron: Legacy being unleashed in theaters. Apparently the remastering process for the hi-def format has been completed, but it seems as if it's now more likely to see the release of the Tron Blu-Ray sometime around the release of Tron: Legacy on Blu Ray - probably around Summer 2011.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

And what is the deal with The Blade Trilogy, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, The Faculty, Mimic, Once, and Swingers on Blu-Ray only being available via import?
I hear some of these imports aren't presented in their original aspect ratios, like the first Blade.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Robot Monster
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Cast Away II: The rise of Wilson
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Korrigan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:10 am

All of Almodóvar's films (I think only Volver was released on Blu-Ray).

(Well, maybe except Pepi, Luci, Bom ... which was shot in kinda low quality.)

Not a movie, but I wish Smithsonian HD's SkyView show would be released for purchase on Blu-Ray so I could free up some space on the TiVO HD.
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:19 am

Korrigan wrote:
Not a movie, but I wish Smithsonian HD's SkyView show would be released for purchase on Blu-Ray so I could free up some space on the TiVO HD.

Just throw 'em all on an external HD.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies