MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Matt Flynn vs. The Patriots

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Matt Flynn vs. The Patriots

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm not sure how much more you can ask out of a backup quarterback. Up against what's probably the best team in the NFL, Matt Flynn had a chance to win heading into the final minute. Did his inexperience cost the Packers the game? Perhaps. But his talent kept them in it.

The Patriots have been rolling over quality opponents as though they were playing college teams for the last month. But they didn't roll over Matt Flynn. He took it to them and came up a bit short, but he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Gratz, man.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Matt Flynn vs. The Patriots

Postby c02 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 am

What cost them the game was a megalomaniac coach who is calling the plays. As a coach there should always be a contingency plan. If 'A' doesn't work go to 'B.' If 'B' isn't an option, 'C.' It was utter chaos at the end and it kind of speaks to a training theory discussion that has been bantered about for years. I'll leave that for another thread. Perhaps he was told what to do and just froze. I'm willing to accept that if that's what happened. However, he looked like someone who had no direction as to what to do next and that lays squarely on the coach.

Kudos to Flynn and the Packers for not rolling over. They went from losing to the worst team in the NFL a week ago to nearly beating one of the hottest teams, yesterday. Now if special teams can just figure out how to tackle really-slow-fat guys.....
c02
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 am

Flynn played really well. He looked a little rattled at times, and his inexperience showed during the last play, but what can you expect from his first start in a hostile environment. I'd put more of the blame on McCarthy; he doesn't seem very adept at winning close games. In this instance, he seemed much more concerned with leaving the Patriots with no time left on the clock if they scored, than with actually taking the lead. It was almost as if he were playing with only a 3-point deficit, and would have been satisfied with kicking a field goal to send the game into overtime.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:24 am

They went from losing to the worst team in the NFL a week ago

You need to give the Lions a LOT more credit than that. Watch out for them next year. They will contend for the division.
Now if special teams can just figure out how to tackle really-slow-fat guys.....

Most of those guys on special teams haven't been on the team for very long and really don't have much of any business being anywhere but a practice squad. The players who are supposed to be out there on kicks are now the starters becasue of injury.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 am

Yes, I agree about the Lions. I've been quietly pulling for them for the last couple of years and I know they have been right in nearly every game this year. The best thing that happened to the Lions is Matt Millen getting the boot.

As for special teams, I'm not completely sold. I understand your point, but seriously; Pee Wee leaguers could gang tackle that guy better than the Packers did on that return.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 am

As for special teams, I'm not completely sold. I understand your point, but seriously; Pee Wee leaguers could gang tackle that guy better than the Packers did on that return.

I agree. It was awful. But after the first tackle was missed there really wasn't anyone left down field. At least not in any position to make a tackle on the guy. I guess my point is you can't blame the system or the coaches for the poor special teams play. They haven't had anywhere close to the same 11 guys out there at any point. At this point I would rank the Lions ahead of the Dolphins, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs who they just beat, and the entire NFC West.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 am

I'm secretly hoping the Lions win the Superbowl in 2012 and maybe then Matt Millen will be taken off the air entirely due to lack of credibility of any kind. :D
c02
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm

It would have been nice if we could count on Jones to not break off his routes for no apparent reason. That pick six was totally on him.

Whatever else you might think of him, got to give McCarthy credit for that successful onside kick to start the game.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 pm

That pick six was totally on him.

He got cut off (nearly a pick IMHO) by the safety. He wasn't going to have any effect on that play had he kept running. That was one Flynn threw becasue of pressure and threw to the wrong guy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:45 pm

I blame McCarthy for the lack of a plan in that last minute.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Matt Flynn is a good kid and one of the few Meat Packers who is not out shoveling snow late nights in DePere.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Matt Flynn is a good kid and one of the few Meat Packers who is not out shoveling snow late nights in DePere.

He also seemed much more comfortable in the cold conditions against the Patriots than those pansies from Chicago.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 pm

That idiotic kick-off return really swung the game around to the Pats. Nice game by Flynn and Kuhn.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking