MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Recreating restaurant dishes

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Recreating restaurant dishes

Postby LindsayNicole » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Curious if any of you have restaurant dishes you've tried to recreate at home.

I've successfully done the Brighton Beach from Gotham (on bread instead of a bagel), a version of the stuffed grilled cheese at Alchemy and a roasted vegetable sandwich with goat cheese based on one I had at Old Fashioned. I even made the (now defunct) spinach/red onion/olive salad from Icon, where I now go only if physically dragged.

I'm tempted to try recreating the Reuben from Cooper's -- so awesome -- and I have repeatedly tried to recreate the truffle popcorn from Graze but fail fail and fail again. And it's only, like, 3 ingredients, so I'm thinking it has to be me.

Anyone else have something recently that inspired you? Duck tartare at Kitchen? Affogato at Nostrano? Wait, affogato, I could so make that ...
LindsayNicole

Re: Recreating restaurant dishes

Postby c02 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm

I once tried to re-create a taco bell bean burrito. Properly aged Alpo seems to be the key. I don't get out as much as I once did.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Definitely.

One of my favorite spring salads is the arugula, white truffle oil, grana cheese & lemon juice from Sweets & Savories.

I've also done Daniel Boulud's red wine braised short ribs w/ celery duo, from Daniel NYC in addition to Grant Achatz's "dry caramel". I still have a bunch of tapioca maltodextrin left over from that experiment. The attempt at using it to make powdered bacon was a failure, but the really troubling part was the number of friends that asked if they could snort it if it worked out.

There's undoubtedly a bunch more, but those are the ones that most immediately jump into memory.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:56 pm

We recently received a postcard marketing someone's services (honestly can't remember right now), but included with the spiel was a recipe for Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I haven't tried to make them, though.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Cheddar Bay biscuits are nothing more than Bisquick with some butter, garlic powder and grated cheddar cheese. There's no real secret to them.
timby

Postby iwiw99 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 am

The Fantome Farm chevre that Odessa made at old L'Etoile always kicked my ass.

I dated a guy who knew how to do it.

When I tried, after pulling a teat, the goat whimpered, swore at me and ran fast godammed away.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:25 pm

c02 wrote:I once tried to re-create a taco bell bean burrito. Properly aged Alpo seems to be the key. I don't get out as much as I once did.

Awesome!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlideSF » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Culinary plagiarism is a hobby of mine. I have gotten a lot of great recipes just by trying them out in a restaurant and going back to my kitchen and experimenting. Some dishes are pretty difficult to recreate. Most are not if you have a basic knowledge of cooking.
SlideSF

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Part of my pleasure in going to a restaurant is not only the good food but the service and lack of work involved on my part. I've tried to recreate some dishes, but the downfall is that I do an assload of work, eat some good food, and then have to clean up the mess I've created. I love cooking, but having all the work done for you makes the dining out experience that much more enjoyable.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlideSF » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 am

I so agree. Eating out is one of the great pleasures in life - and here I am referring to dining in restaurants - don't get me wrong. Cooking and cleaning up, both before and after, are a major chore for me; and I only choose to indulge occasionally. But when I do, that's when I will use recipes garnered from other more established establishments. Most of my "recipes" come from other places besides Madison, but my shrimp cocktail and Cocquilles St. Jacques both come straight from the Tornado. I have a great ahi spinach roll from Maui, and Indian food from all over the globe. Cookbooks are great, but for the money I'd rather have a good meal and try to deconstruct, and then reconstruct it.
SlideSF

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 am

SlideSF wrote:Eating out is one of the great pleasures in life - and here I am referring to dining in restaurants - don't get me wrong.

Either meaning is one of the great pleasures in life.

So, don't sweat it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:01 am

I made a "Real CHili" chili copy..since I miss them being in Madison
it was easy, and pretty damn close
...and frickin good
kweetech
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews