MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Hopperbolic

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Hopperbolic

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Furthermore has a new IPA, using hops grown within 20 miles of Spring Green. After reading this review, I knew I had to try it. Last week I stopped at Steve's on Junction Road and was told they didn't have it in yet, but they took my phone number and said they would give me a call. Great customer service.

I got a chance to try it a few days later when having dinner at the Old Fashioned, which has it on tap. Btw, I like their expansion. Seating is no longer at a premium with the extra space. Anyways, I enjoyed it and was hoping for that phone call. Steve's didn't disappoint and after their call I picked up a couple sixers at $11 a pop. It's a very limited production, so I recommend buying quickly.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hopperbolic

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I've about had it with brewers trying to out-hop one another. Cramming a hundred more IBU's into a pint class doesn't make for a better beer IMHO. Bring me some flavor other than bitter. The world needs more Porter's and Trippels and less over Hop-ulant face crushers.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm

I recommend that you don't try it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for sharing, HV. I've been waiting to hear that this was out.

Let the sugar-loving maltheads start their own threads. Leave the hopheads be. There's room for all of us in the local-beer-drinking universe.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 pm

There's really only one definitive way to settle this. Consider this an open challenge from all the sugar lovin' maltheads.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I've about had it with brewers trying to out-hop one another. Cramming a hundred more IBU's into a pint class doesn't make for a better beer IMHO. Bring me some flavor other than bitter. The world needs more Porter's and Trippels and less over Hop-ulant face crushers.

Not saying you should try it, but I did and I didn't think it was all that hoppy. It all depends on what you're used to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm

I like a good hoppy beer once in a while. My problem is that every other craft beer that comes out is some variation of IPA and hopped out as much as possible. I liked the Moon Man which at least attempted to be something other than hoppy. I'll have a Hoppaliscious from time to time but one is usually enough.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm

I tried it a couple weeks back when it was on tap at Vintage Brewing. It's not overly hoppy and I found it to be very balanced. While I'm not a hophead myself I do enjoy balanced IPA/APA's and I thought Hopperbolic was right in my wheelhouse.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Hop-ulant face crushers

Band name? Intramural team/mascot?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I like a good hoppy beer once in a while. My problem is that every other craft beer that comes out is some variation of IPA and hopped out as much as possible.

Even the Belgians I've tried from Ale Asylum and Furthermore are hopped beyond recognition. I keep going back to New Glarus because Dan Carey is the only local brewer who isn't obsessed with IBUs.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 pm

I enjoyed several Hopperbolics at Furthermore's Shitty Barn Party back in October. I enjoyed the beer and the party. At $11/6-pack, it was probably cheaper at the party (but I'm not complaining). I like hoppy beers to the point that I don't even bother trying new malty ones. Fortunately, most local and regional brewers have at least one IPA in their lineup, so I'm seldom disappointed at bars or beers shops in Madison. I thought Hopperbolic was quite good, but it didn't stand out as a noticeably different IPA. That said, I didn't have any other beers to compare at the time, let alone IPAs.

I was sad to see New Glarus Brewing Co.'s Hearty Hop IPA get sidelined in favor of Moon Man, which certainly isn't as hearty.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Finally came across this. I agree that it isn't over-hopped per the extreeeeeeeeeme!! marketing trend of the past few years. It's well balanced, though my hunch is that it wants for a bit of dry-hopping – for that exquisite hoppy high note that sings but doesn't bite.

Were I not spoiled by the New Glarus Hearty Hop, I'd say it's the best IPA I've had in years.

As far as Moon Man, I think it's really nothing more than a cost-saving measure. That is, it's no more terrible than it is worthy.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Woodman's West now carries it for ten bucks a sixer.

The hops are more floral/herbal than citric in taste. Somewhat reminiscent of their close cousin, cannibis.

They go well together.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The hops are more floral/herbal than citric in taste. Somewhat reminiscent of their close cousin, cannibis.

They go well together.

Hey, so it's not just me. This is true for most hoppy beers in my opinion. Just seems to enhance all the flavors, including the malts.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:56 am

Tried it..good, but doesn't stand out against the rest of the local apa's/ipa's. Great to see local ingredients being used. My favorite "local" beer this year though was Local Acre from Lakefront.

to all those who don't like hoppy beers..don't drink them. duh. Plenty of varieties out there for everyone. I'm actually confused at those who think so many of our local beers are overhopped. I find most of them quite tame when it comes to IBU's.
This is the land of miller lite...so I guess I'm not suprised.

fwiw..I am a cerified hophead..though I like my beers balanced. My favorites are imperial/double versions..which add the malt alcohol to match the hops. 10% alc, 100 ibu..sounds about right. 8) Sometimes I like my beers to tie me up, and slap me around with a little Amarillo, Cascade, Nugget or what have you :lol:

Though now I'm on bourbon stout kick, as its that time of year. But that's another thread...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails