MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Black Swan

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Black Swan

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:57 am

Best film of the year, in my opinion. I fucking LOVE Darren Aronofsky. I'm not sure that this was necessarily better than 'Requiem For A Dream', but it sure came close. Stellar performances from Natalie Portman (yeah, you'll be surprised), Mila Kunis and, especially, Barbara Hershey. Scary, appalling, mesmerizing and smart, with brilliant cinematography.

Highly recommended.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Black Swan

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Hope the bluray release is soon.

All I've heard is good things.

I've loved Portman since The Professional and Heat.

I liked Kunis in Extract. Probably the only flick I liked Ben Affleck in (well, Good Will Hunting I suppose).

I really dig Casey. It amazes me his older bro is the more successful of the two.

He was great in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

and now I'm rambling...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I've loved Portman since The Professional and Heat.[/size]

Portman and Kunis are both terrible actresses.
Can Natalie Portman Act?
"I’ve never believed her in a single role. She evokes no emotional response in me beyond, “Oh, there’s Natalie Portman.” She doesn’t overact or underact; she just stands around with whatever the appropriate expression for the scene seems to be on her sweet, pretty, childlike face. If there’s something going on behind that face, I neither know nor care what it is."
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:41 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:I've loved Portman since The Professional and Heat.[/size]

Portman and Kunis are both terrible actresses.
Can Natalie Portman Act?
"I’ve never believed her in a single role. She evokes no emotional response in me beyond, “Oh, there’s Natalie Portman.” She doesn’t overact or underact; she just stands around with whatever the appropriate expression for the scene seems to be on her sweet, pretty, childlike face. If there’s something going on behind that face, I neither know nor care what it is."

I didn't say I loved her as an actress... I've just loved her. She's close to my age so I guess I've just had a crush on her all these years... even though she's not really my type.

Heat and The Professional are two of my favorites. And still would be without Portman. Heat's gotta be in my Top 3. Maybe it's the quality of the movies themselves that allow for Portman to get a pass? I've certainly never been moved by her acting.

The only thing I've seen Kunis in besides Extract was an episode of Punk'd. Never watched That 70's Show. She is a little hottie though.

Extract was an enjoyable movie that would still have been good with or without Kunis. She was good at being diabolical. Extract wasn't exactly the movie for an actor to stretch their acting legs.

But it was good to see new Mike Judge content. Even if it wasn't a home run.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:24 am

Well, Aronofsky brought something out in them, because they are both perfection in this movie.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 am

it's Showgirls for arthouse suckers.
Aranofsky is a hack with no original ideas.
i spent the whole flick meditating on directors who might have brought some flair and life to the hackneyed script.
de palma, verhoeven, nolan, bigelow.... the list is endless.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

I love all of Aronofsky's movies and Black Swan was no exception. The story was well-told and really beautifully filmed. I don't normally care for Natalie Portman but she did an excellent job convincing the audience that she was a ballerina and her dancing as the white swan in rehearsals was amazing to watch. It reminded me of Perfect Blue but I thought Aronofsky's version was better.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:01 am

depinmad wrote:it's Showgirls for arthouse suckers.

Agreed. Except I would say it is a schlocky hollywood horror movie. Wooden acting, special-effects driven. It's a movie for teenage girls, "Twilight of the Black Vampire Swan." Actually the acting wasn't wooden, the actors did a fine job, the problem was they had to play one-dimensional villians. The creepy dance master and the hideous stage mom were right out of the silent movies. Awful script.

I could forgive everything if there was some quality dance, but no such luck. What dance was there consisted mostly of non-professional dancers shown in quick-cut editing. Dissapointing.

I didn't hate the movie, the plot kept me awake. However, I only got through the 30 minute, final onslaught of unpleasant, random insanity by treating the movie as camp. I did a couple of uncontrolled LOL's.

So many people loved this movie that I'm sure there was plenty of value to it that I just didn't connect with. A movie experience is about 80% subjective, and then later on we come up with some intellectual reasons to justify our emotional reaction.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

johnmartin wrote:the film is well-directed, it looks great, the actors generally deliver good performances despite under-written roles. I've seen many worse films than Black Swan.

I enjoyed dumping on the movie, but I agree with this summary.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 am

Me too, it helps if you view it as camp.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42 pm

amy001, are you sure you posted in the correct thread?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kavin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 am

I think no for Black Swan. Toy Story3 Death Race, Hunt to Kill are better than this movie.

Stream Movies Online | Watch Full Movies Online
Kavin

Postby atron67 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 am

I was really disapointed in this movie. big fan of requiem, hell even happiness. this feels artistic for art sake, no addition to storytelling with many examples. disjointed story telling that obscures more than helps.

everything is very well acted etc and highly polished. but it frustrated me so much, especially juxtaposed to Aranofsky's previous films
atron67

Return to Movies