MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

The Worst Bar n Madison

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: The Worst Bar n Madison

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Slick Willy wrote:I love the Tip-Top! The Tip-Top is one of those bars that's so bad that it's good. There's just a low-key, fun trashy vibe in that place. It is dead a lot there, so I laughed when Marvell asked if anyone ever went there.

A bar that's so bad that it's...bad is the Club La Mark, in my opinion. That has got to be the stinkiest bar around -- literally! It just smells awful in there. Some bikers seem to like the place. The clientele is about as trashy East Side as you can get.

Wiggie's is pretty trashy too, but they play good '80s music a lot, so it just gets an honorable mention.

I hate all the downtown meat market bars...

A place that personally don't like is The Brink.

Quite the eclectic taste in bars- not a consistent use of criteria, but I understand. But, love the Tip Top, not LaMark?

re: the smell. I've noticed some peculiar odors in taverns since the smoking ban. Often, the grill or fryer are prevalent. Other times, bleach from bar rags (the towels, that is). These things I understand. But the really funky, overpowering odors in some joints will drive me out. I haven't noticed anything at La Mark recently, though.

re: meat markets. 'Nuf said.

re: The Brink. Is it just this place, or do you dislike all bars that are "parentally-funded"? Surely, other bar owners are riding Mom and/or Dad's coattails. I happen to like The Brink. (Actually, I like what they accomplished with the whole building. A nice mix of atmospheres between the three businesses.) I honestly don't think it (The Brink, itself) actually makes money, though.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:21 pm

I couldn't disagree more about the LaMark, although I'll admit I'm friends with one of the bartenders so maybe that skews things. Every Tuesday night during the summer, the lot is filled with bikers. Doesn't make it a bad bar. No, I'm not a biker.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I detest Crystal Corner. Seriously hate it, mostly due to the horrible set up for bands. Just the suggestion of going there puts me in a bad mood, NutHut notwithstanding.

Not a fan of Sports Pub, either, although I play volleyball there. You'd think that with all the money the players spend there during the summers, they'd be able to afford to fix the raw sewage smell in the bathroom. Or maybe even bolt the towel dispenser to the wall. But, nope.

OTOH, I love the Jade Monkey, its sister Atomic Koi, and, stretching the boundaries beyond Madison, Deak's in Stoughton, if you happen to care.
sadiekat

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:01 pm

I think The Brink has always been considered Curt's business. Matt is the manager but I think it's basically a family affair. Every time I'm there I see them both working. I have always questioned whether the place is paying for itself but I've recently been told that they get a lot of private bookings so maybe they're finding a niche. The big Xmas party I was at last weekend probably covered the overhead for 2 months, it was packed.

You can't add the college meat markets to this list unless you're mid-20's or younger. "Gee, I'm 42 and the chicks at Wando's won't even talk to me.......bitches!"
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Maybe not the worst, but I'm going with "ones people suggest we meet at, and I groan":

O'Grady's (Mineral Pt. Road)
Horrible service, bad food, mediocre drink selection, but I'll at least give the atmosphere a C.

Dry Bean
Average to poor service, average to poor food, decent beer selection, awful tasting mixed drinks, and horrible atmosphere (including skeevy people).

Irish Pub on State St.
Overpriced drinks, unwelcoming staff, otherwise mediocre.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby okiebp » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

The bar in Cheeseburger in Paradise. Drinks are expensive there.

I hated the old State bar. zero room to stand...

I dislike the Downtown Great Dane. very limited on room and it takes forever to get a drink
okiebp

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 pm

kimm wrote:Maybe not the worst, but I'm going with "ones people suggest we meet at, and I groan":

O'Grady's (Mineral Pt. Road)
Horrible service, bad food, mediocre drink selection, but I'll at least give the atmosphere a C.

Dry Bean
Average to poor service, average to poor food, decent beer selection, awful tasting mixed drinks, and horrible atmosphere (including skeevy people).

O'Grady's does suck. It's an example of what people will tolerate when everything else in the vicinity is worse.

Is DaBean, or whatever it is now, even a bar, or more of a venue with a bar? Why go if there is no show? The last time I was there, the floor had food and beer all over the place. If one is supposed to get a pseudo 'party in the barn' vibe there, it succeeds. I've been to parties in barns, they were cleaner.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails