MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Haze American + Asian Bar-B-Que

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: The Haze American + Asian Bar-B-Que

Postby MHicks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm

At the risk of coming off as the curmudgeon, I was put off by how loud this place was. Food was OK, some great stuff and some so so, I could see it for a quick lunch or takeout, but not the place to go if you want to have food and conversation.
MHicks

Postby Carmichael » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:39 am

$7.99 for Banh Mi huh? Thanks, but no. I know it's a trendy sandwich but puh-lease, give me a break. Even the way too precious Wicker Park Banh Mi joint, Bon Bon, only charges 4.00 for their sandwiches. A proper Vietnamese deli in a real city will only take you for $2-$3.50 for the real thing. And mind you, they are much better.Of course, that wouldn't take much. This seems to be just another attempt on the part of Muramoto & Co. to take shortcuts to create a trendy, succesful joint without putting any love into it. Kushi could have been a great concept if properly run, with some guality control. How a kitchen could consistently fuck up deep fried food on a stick is far beyond my grasp of comprehension, but they managed to every time I gave them another chance. I guess mis-managed would be more accurate. I will not be as forgivivng with The Haze. Once is enough for me to see through a poorly executed, rushed concept. That shit might fly in the suburbs, but I hope the downtown dining public is savvy enough to tell these jokers to shove their dry ass brisket, their $8 Banh Mi, their lame attempt at Peking Duck, and their STUPID name straight up their collective hole. If you grade them on a curve with the other wastes of space on the block though, The Local, Cafe Continental, The Casbah and Tutto, they come out looking OK. Congratulations, Phhhhh.....
Carmichael

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm

There it is... the "real city" slag.

One thing to admire about Muramoto is that he goes with local providers, which means added expense. And since the place you refer to in Wicker Park likely serves ten times (if not more) the number of customers Haze does, prices are easier to keep low.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Paging Oseena Gay-Fotzie...
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Some good reviews here, but how does the place compare to OTHER barbecue joints in MADISON? I put the key questions in caps for people who prefer to compare to Chicago or Vietnam itself. It wouldn't take much for this place to outclass all the BBQ joints in Madison. Just wondering if it does...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:05 am

Its a different concept, hard to compare. I liked Doug's, but otherwise most of the Madison BBQ places I've tried are outclassed by Haze.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheSyndicate » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 am

Agreed that given the concept of the Haze there are some hazards in trying to compare it to other BBQ joints in Madison. BUT it is not hard to compare with respect to executing properly cooked ribs. In my experience, Smoky Jon's, Fat Jack's and even Famous Dave's is much better than the Haze (wrt ribs). In fact, I've had better ribs at chain restaurants. Actually, if you want juicy, WARM brisket that actually tastes as if it was smoked, I would choose any of these three places over the Haze as well.

Proper BBQ is not easy - and it is not clear to me that those involved spent any serious amount of time learning how to do it properly. It seems like the "concept" takes priority over the actual food.
TheSyndicate

Crispy duck

Postby kulgar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm

I've only been to the Haze once so am not ready for a full review but the mislabeled Peking Duck is now called Crispy Duck and I thought it quite good and, at least that night, an extremely large portion. The slaw was delicious and the fries, while not quite Belgian frites, were very, very good and far better than any rib places I've ever tried.

I guess I'll have to get used to ordering at the bar and I must have missed the beer menu from that position because I wandered down the bar to find out what was on tap. I wish they had wine but have no clue what red goes with barbeque so it is a moot point.

And speaking of things I wish had been mute, there was one loud asshole in the place yelling at his friends two feet away that made me want to start throwing duck bones at him, but I can't fault the restaurant for being loud on that account...

I've heard they are doing a strong carryout business but I'm going back to sit down for the apparently disputed ribs....
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Kovalic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:46 am

OK, so...after the utter rave in the Isthmus this week, who's goin' back to see just how wrong, wrong, wrong we were. :-)

(Honestly, I was set to return anyway. But I feel a serious disconnect between the review, and what others on the forum - myself included - seem to have experienced...)
Kovalic

Postby lolagirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Did anyone try the Haze at Taste of Madison? It's a place we've been meaning to get to and haven't yet - but after our experience at Taste we aren't in any hurry to eat there.

We got their rib tips. Looked great, and the selection of sauces was impressive. Unfortunately, the ribs tips themselves were inedible. All four were so tough and grisly that the little plastic fork actually broke apart. Tried just picking them up and eating, but still too tough to get any meat off - and there just wasn't much to get. I'm still Okay at this point, because I figure it's just our bad luck to get an off order. My husband went back to the booth and politely asked if we could either get another order or get our money back, as ours was inedible. And I do mean politely - he's about the most low-key good guy type you'll ever meet. The response to him was no refunds - you want more, buy it. I realize it's busy, but all we wanted was a chance to get a different order, one that was edible. That lack of concern - and general "FU" attitude - wasn't what I expected.

The point of the Taste is to give prospective customers a chance to try out a new place. I realize that the sheer volume at Taste means that not every dish served will be up to the best standards of the restaurant. But to have that much of an I-don't-care attitude convinced me this is a place I'm not interested in trying.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby aimless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm

I ate at The Haze for lunch in the Fall. I had the brisket and it was inedible. The meat was grisly and chewy. It had no smoky or bbq flavor whatsoever. I was not impressed with the sauces. I discussed my concern with the waitress but she offered no recompense. So that my friends is my one and only visit to The Haze. As for Muramota, I have never had one bite that was less than outstanding. Go figure.
aimless

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I keep wanting to like The Haze, but it just never seems to happen. Where's the smoke ring on the brisket or the bark from being properly dry rubbed and smoked? Does it ever smell really smokey as you approach the place or when you walk in like a BBQ joint should? No. I don't smell Hickory, mesquite, apple wood, and there certainly isn't a "haze" when I'm in the place.

Also, the meat portions SUCK! Order the western pulled pork, the eastern pulled pork (which turned out to be sliced pork and not pulled pork at all), or the brisket. You get a lot of everything but meat. I love good sides, but when I order an expensive dinner, I expect nice sized portions of the BBQ itself with good sides as a compliment. The chicken is decent sized, but that's because they used the cheapest cut, leg quarters, which I like, but they don't offer a half of a chicken like most places, because the white meat costs too much. Trust me, I'm a dark meat guy all the way, but I know what they're doing, and it's being cheap. The ribs certainly don't come clean off the bone, 'cuz they're not juicy and tender, at least not the ones that we had. Sauces are fine. Smoked sausage is fine. Haven't tried the duck yet, but I'm starting to give up on this place.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:13 pm

...and their tempeh tastes like ass, too.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 am

Slick Willy wrote:I keep wanting to like The Haze, but it just never seems to happen. Where's the smoke ring on the brisket or the bark from being properly dry rubbed and smoked? Does it ever smell really smokey as you approach the place or when you walk in like a BBQ joint should? No. I don't smell Hickory, mesquite, apple wood, and there certainly isn't a "haze" when I'm in the place.

I can't speak for The Haze (nor am I generally in any rush to defend the place), but barbecue joints located in urban settings often wind up going to great lengths to clean their emissions to please their neighbors.

I remember talking to the owners of Honey 1 and hearing that their neighbors had called the fire department multiple times to report the smell of smoke, shortly after they opened. Smoque opened with large amounts of cleaning being done to remove the smell from their chimneys, as well.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:12 pm

I went for a first visit a couple of Fridays back. We were there somewhat early and it was dead. I was told they had just revamped the menu. All entrees, or at least the ones I was interested in, were served on white rice. The short ribs were delicious, the brisket, so-so. Is this a late-night place?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews