MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

My Mexico conundrum

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

My Mexico conundrum

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:37 pm

I really enjoy vacationing in Mexico, it's affordable, not too far, and has the things I'm looking for in the middle of our winter. As anyone who follows the news knows, Mexico is plagued by drug violence that seems to get more brutal by the day. At the moment I'm refusing to go but I can't decide if it's the right choice or not. I'm not really afraid of getting killed, for the most part Mexico still seems to protect the typical tourist areas that we would go to at this time, but that's kind of the problem for me. I feel like they don't give a shit about their own people, only the tourists, so why should we reward that behavior by continuing to go there? Other people I've talked to say that cutting off the tourist dollars will only turn more people to the drug trade, which is probably true.

From what you read in the news it seems like the Mexican government is either unwilling or incapable of stepping up and trying to stop these people. Or are they waiting for the world's policeman (guess who) to come to the rescue?

So I don't know what to do.

Other opinions?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My Mexico conundrum

Postby sadiekat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Well, there's always Jamaica, where we go most years. Same issues, although frankly, the value of these destinations are hard to beat. Our upcoming week in Negril will cost less than a long weekend in New Orleans, all in.

No one of us as tourists can change the situation appreciably by not traveling there. The people working the resorts certainly benefit from our patronage, and while there may be some overflow benefits to drug lords and their ilk, the fact that we stay in hotels, dine in restaurants and buy trinkets helps workers.

In the end, if you find you can't enjoy your vacay due to these factors, another destination may be a good idea.
sadiekat

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Costa Rica. Belize. I've never been to either one but I hear they're nice.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 pm

I've done a week long surf camp in Costa Rica, and I loved it. I've never been to Belize, but I've heard great things about it. I'd choose both of those places over going to Mexico, in a heartbeat.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 pm

My mother lives in Mexico. She retired there about a year ago. What she reports is that, Yes, there is violence in certain areas, and as you point out, it tends to be focused in certain areas that are not tourist areas. But she lives in an area that's not particularly tourist-focused either (near Guadalajara), and she says that it's not a problem where she lives, but rather, is focused in certain regions (border towns and Michoacan, according to her).

What I see is a country that's struggling to transition from an outdated culture to a more modern one. Perhaps too focused on tourism and agriculture in the past (not unlike certain areas in our own country), now looking to transition to a more mature economy.

If you're not concerned about your personal safety, then I guess the question comes down to whether or not you believe that you (and others like you) will make the situation better by going somewhere else (or conversely, are contributing to make it worse by continuing to vacation there). I don't see how that would be the case, but you may. Regardless, it's your dollars, so do what you will. We will continue to visit our favorite little corner of Mexico whether or not anyone else does.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flopsweat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:11 am

i have traveled extensively throughout belize on and off for about 6 years now. both the mainland and the various islands off the coast. it's a really beautiful country and very rich in history, ecology, and culture. i would def. suggest checking it out to anyone.
flopsweat

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:56 pm

I don't have a solid opinion on the matter, but congrats to you for being a considerate tourist who is trying to put some thought into the impact of his / her travel dollars, beyond simply where to get the cheapest margarita.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm

I've always felt safe up the coast from Puerto Vallarta. Of course there are some machine gun check points, not unlike Middleton, I never got in any more trouble than, say biking through Orton Park.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm

narcoleptish wrote:From what you read in the news it seems like the Mexican government is either unwilling or incapable of stepping up and trying to stop these people. Or are they waiting for the world's policeman (guess who) to come to the rescue?

You do realize that most of the problems in Mexico are due to America's appetite for illegal drugs and the insane profits the drug dealers make due to the United States Government's War on Drugs, right?

I would agree with you that it would be Mexico's problem to deal with if any other country in the World had successfully eradicated illegal drugs from within their own borders, but none have. So to assume Mexico can do the impossible is just wishful thinking and ignoring the real problem.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

It's not like your dollars go directly to the government. When you visit a place, your dollars go largely to the local people, right? So you are punishing the same people as the government.

That said, I'm not sure I feel the need to return to touristy areas myself. The number of time-share zombies is getting out of control, and the quality of stuff you get for the price is going down. A cruise we took where the "lunch" was hot dogs and kraft mac and cheese comes to mind.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm

eriedasch wrote:
You do realize that most of the problems in Mexico are due to America's appetite for illegal drugs and the insane profits the drug dealers make due to the United States Government's War on Drugs, right?

Of course, everything is always our fault. Our appetite for drugs causes these men to chop off people's heads, wipe out whole families for revenge, and gun down a grieving mother, on camera, in front of the governors house. http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/1 ... en017.html

I'm sorry but people like that don't get a pass because the U.S. likes it's blow.

TAsunder wrote:It's not like your dollars go directly to the government. When you visit a place, your dollars go largely to the local people, right? So you are punishing the same people as the government.

Yep, this is the argument I've gotten from some people and you're right. We too, prefer some less-touristy areas but right now would probably stick to Puerto Vallarta.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
eriedasch wrote:

Of course, everything is always our fault. Our appetite for drugs causes these men to chop off people's heads, wipe out whole families for revenge, and gun down a grieving mother, on camera, in front of the governors house. http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/1 ... en017.html

I'm sorry but people like that don't get a pass because the U.S. likes it's blow.

No one is getting a pass for anything. I think it is horrendous what is happening in Mexico. I just feel a lot of the violence and killing could be avoided if you could somehow take the profits out of the drug trade. And those huge profits are not coming from sales to Mexicans. It is a VERY bad situation, but thinking you can kill or lock up all the drug dealers and stop the flow of illegal drugs is absurd.

Sorry for getting all serious in your travel thread. I had a great vacation in Oaxaca and Puerto Escondito (less touristy at the time), Mexico many years ago.

According to a buddy in Houston and from what I have seen in news reports, I will echo what people have been saying that most of the violence is near the border and to avoid those areas.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:54 am

eriedasch wrote:No one is getting a pass for anything. I think it is horrendous what is happening in Mexico. I just feel a lot of the violence and killing could be avoided if you could somehow take the profits out of the drug trade. And those huge profits are not coming from sales to Mexicans. It is a VERY bad situation, but thinking you can kill or lock up all the drug dealers and stop the flow of illegal drugs is absurd.

I know it wasn't a huge leap, but congratulations all the same for taking yet another fine topic of conversation and turning it into a LEGALIZE IT thread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:27 am

Spend your dollars here. God knows the economy could use it. Have you been to the Keys?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 am

I thought Mexico was great. At the same time, Ned, the Keys can't be beat.

We rented a house, it had a terrific pool and lots of room. It was in a nice neighborhood and was pretty private and quiet.

I'm guessing around 2200 for ten days at the time.

I really enjoyed my time there.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Travel