MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Fuzzy's Tacos on University

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Fuzzy's Tacos on University

Postby Average Joe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Barbacoa is tounge....IT"S TOUNGE!!!!!
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:06 am

Tsur wrote:But I don't want to eat barbacoa, lengua, or menudo wrapped in lard filled tortillas. And I don't want to run to the border. Is there really no place on your palette for a couple of grilled veggie tacos or maybe a fish or shrimp taco? I'm sure that the authentic places are good, but they're just not my cup-o-tea and Taco Bell really shouldn't enter the conversation. Even if their service is better than Fuzzy's.

I don't know why you wouldn't want carnitas, chorizo, or el pastor tacos either, but hey--there's a reason the internet always says YMMV.

But if you're looking for Baja-esque tacos, or tacos with that whiff of authenticity barely emerging over the jack cheese and pico, please consider either Tex Tubbs/Cactus Ranch, or Burrito Drive. I haven't subjected myself to Fuzzy's yet, but I can attest that these three places are acceptably tasty and haven't fucked anything up for me yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 am

Several days ago, having concluded my business in the Hilldale area around lunchtime, I gave Fuzzy's a try. Got the taco platter, 2 tacos and 2 sides for $6. The tacos were tasty, although the fixings let down the excellent meat somewhat. Beans were beans, but the rice had a whole lot more going on than I'd expected. Overall I was pleased and felt it was good value for the money.

I wouldn't go all the way across town specifically to go there, but if you're in the area it's a good option, better than Panchero's or Qdoba. I'd even recommend it above Pasqual's, but that's more because I think Pasqual's is one of the most overrated restaurants in Madison than anything else.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't want carnitas, chorizo, or el pastor tacos either.

Yeah, I'm really not into beef or pork on my tacos. But I can appreciate that their are some good taquerias in town.

TheBookPolice wrote:But if you're looking for Baja-esque tacos, or tacos with that whiff of authenticity barely emerging over the jack cheese and pico, please consider either Tex Tubbs/Cactus Ranch, or Burrito Drive. I haven't subjected myself to Fuzzy's yet, but I can attest that these three places are acceptably tasty and haven't fucked anything up for me yet.

You should try Fuzzy's and get back to us. I find their tacos much better than Tex's. I've really, really tried to like Tex's because they're within walking distance of me. But something about their flavor profiles are really odd. Their Taco ingredients sound like it's gonna be a good thing (red cabbage, guacamole, black bean puree, chipotle mayonnaise, and pickled onions) but then it just doesn't jive in the mouth.

I will agree with you about Burrito Drive. I really like that place. But it's surprisingly expensive for a place named, "Burrito Drive." Fuzzy Taco's are two bucks and fairly yummy. That's a buck or two cheaper than Tex's and a whole 42¢ less per taco than Burrito Drive ; ).
Tsur

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:28 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't want carnitas, chorizo, or el pastor tacos either, but hey--there's a reason the internet always says YMMV.

If I recall Tsur said in the Cilantro thread that he is a pescetarian. There are great taquerias in Madison but none could really be considered veg-friendly.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 am

wallrock wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't want carnitas, chorizo, or el pastor tacos either, but hey--there's a reason the internet always says YMMV.

If I recall Tsur said in the Cilantro thread that he is a pescetarian. There are great taquerias in Madison but none could really be considered veg-friendly.

Nor should they be. And I'd forgotten that biographical detail--my encyclopedic knowledge of TDPF must have had a page torn out.

Pescetarianism is for whales.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Pescetarianism is for whales.

Well I have been packing on the pounds lately.
Tsur

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Tsur wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Pescetarianism is for whales.

Well I have been packing on the pounds lately.

If you're collecting, want some of mine? :wink:
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Fuzzy's claims to be Baja style, yet their tacos don't seem to measure up to the traditional Baja tacos.

I like Old Fashioned's fish tacos, especially on Taco Tuesdays, when the are just a buck and a half a piece. They aren't real big, but three of them fill me up. Talapia, radish, cilantro and Baja sauce in a double soft-sided taco shell.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Tsur wrote:You should try Fuzzy's and get back to us. I find their tacos much better than Tex's.

Did it today, on a whim. $3 chips and queso don't need to be amazing, but they should at least be served warm. The queso wasn't even warm enough to have melted the shredded cheese topping by the time we'd hit the bottom of the cup. The overly-ample spice topping is a bit odd. Quantity: decent. Quality: meh. I'll take Qdoba or even Panchero's if I'm looking for fast food nachos.

I had a shrimp and a fish taco, both grilled. They were fine. The seafood was cooked properly, and while the feta makes the whole thing mighty salty, it's at least interesting. The garlic sauce is nice. The tortilla was stiff and a little bland.

$7 and change for the above at Fuzzy's would balloon to $12 and change at Tex Tubb's. I'd have to make one more stop at Fuzzy's before I could say whether I'd rather assume the added expense for what Tex Tubb's offers as a wholly local institution. As it stands, I'm not exactly rushing to make that second trip.

(And to be clear, neither Tex Tubb's Taco Palace nor Cactus Ranch are high on my list, either.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:46 pm

If you want an good taqueria taco, check out Taqueria Hispana it is in the strip mall behind the McDonalds on East Washington across from East Towne. I felt the prices were a bit high for most of the menu items excluding the tacos, but I tried the enchiladas verdes con pastor and they were EXCELLENT! The verde sauce definitely had a kick so if you aren't in the mood for hot you might want to go with the red or cheese sauce. We weren't served chips and salsa with our order which was kind of disappointing.

I also went to the new Mexican place (name?) that went in to the old Steak and Shake near East Towne as well...the prices were comparable to Taqueria Hispana. I had the chicken mole which was pretty good, although I haven't eaten a ton of mole in my day so I can't say I'm the best judge. The sides were nothing great but the order did come with chips and salsa at no extra charge...the chips were served hot, but seemed stale. The salsa had some heat to it, but wasn't anything spectacular. My friend got the enchiladas verdes here and they looked good, the sauce didn't seem to have quite the oomph as the Taqueria Hispana's verde sauce.

Overall, if I had to choose one to go back to it would be the Taqueria Hispana. I'm anxious to try their other sauces and menu items.
mock_talks

Postby TAsunder » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Every time someone talks about a good "authentic" taqueria in Madison I go and am disappointed. At some point I just gave up (I think, shortly after Guadalajara). If authentic means cheap and bland to you, then Madison wins the authentic prize.

I'm not asking for as much as it sounds... I've had very good tacos in San Francisco, Austin, Chicago, and Milwaukee. They have run the range from hipster-exorbitant (Fish. in Sausalito) to divey (random cart in the middle of the suburbs in Austin). Madison just doesn't have it, so far.

Mostly I'm judging based on fish tacos and various pork tacos. I feel like those are hard to screw up. Apparently not. I must be a killer cook because I can follow almost any recipe I have for tacos and make better at home.

The closest thing to a tasty taco in those categories would be a couple of the fish tacos at Tex Tubbs which, while not spectacular, are at least not horrible; and tacos at La Mestiza, only because I drench them with their delicious green salsa.

So what's my point, really? I guess only that I'd rather go to a place that doesn't have the supposed "authentic" taco vibe, knowing what I will get, than be disappointed yet again. Places like Fuzzy's and the like are of interest, therefore.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:01 pm

TAsunder wrote:Every time someone talks about a good "authentic" taqueria in Madison I go and am disappointed.

Have you tried Marimar on Greenway Cross?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aurorabean » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:49 am

I don't claim to know what is authentic or not, but my husband and I have been enjoying Los Jarochos in McFarland for a couple of months now. Here is a write up they received last month:

http://www.mcfarlandthistleonline.com/m ... cleID=2834

I'm a long time reader of this forum with one lonely post. I know restaurant reviews from newbies are looked down upon so I hesitated posting. However, I think Los Jarochos is quite good and I'm hoping someone with more clout will check them out. :)

FWIW, I really like the Conchinita Pibil and the Al Pastor Tostadas (mmmm, pork). My husband is obsessed with their Fried Plantains.
aurorabean

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:23 am

I tried it, it was meh. Guadalajara's tortas are amazetits.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews