MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

LCD TV's?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

LCD TV's?

Postby pattymcnutt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:50 pm

I have finally decided to upgrade to an LCD tv, but as I'm looking at tons of reviews online I am finding myself totally overwhelmed. I'm not a huge tech person, so I'm not necessarily looking for all kinds of fancy features, I just want something that is decent quality, reliable, and hopefully affordable. Does anyone have any recommendations for 32-40 inch TV's? Any warnings about ones I definitely should avoid?
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Re: LCD TV's?

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Here's a thread on HDTV's.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Patty - I'd read that thread from last post, working backward, since the tech has changed since that thread was started.

I was always big on Samsung and Sony. Comparing a 55" side-by-side, I found Sony's picture to be much better.

That's always your best bet, going to a store like Best Buy where you can see the sets side-by-side.

My dad just bought his first HDTV — a 46" Sony and he's thrilled. I have a smaller Samsung. It's nice, but when I upgrade, I'm going Sony.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Mine's a Sharp. The picture is good but the audio sucks - when confronted with any low frequency bass sound it bottoms out, rattles and buzzes. I pretty much have to turn the stereo amp on for anything I seriously want to watch.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 pm

We have a 40 inch Sharp Aquos and we really like it, but we've finally admitted that we can't tell the difference between normal and HD. We switch back and forth between them and we just can't tell.

We think maybe we could with a larger screen but this is about the max our little living room can handle, and we're fine with that.

It's really nice having a letterbox sized screen, though. That's frickin great. And since Uverse charges extra for most of the HD channels, we're saving money. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:17 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Here's a thread on HDTV's.

Thanks, MadMind- I had looked at that before, but since it is such an old thread, I wasn't sure how updated that information would be.

I think at this point I'm looking at Samsung and maybe Sony since they seem to have the best reviews. I'm just not looking forward to having to deal with all those pushy electronics salespeople.....
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Why not craigslist? You said that you're looking in the 32 inch to 40 inch range, and that seems to me to be the range that most people are upgrading from, rather than to.

I just picked up a nice 32" Toshiba LCD TV today off CL for $150, and I'm pretty happy with it. No pushy salespeople to deal with at all. The seller had upgraded to a much larger TV, and I think a lot of people just did that same thing for themselves.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:30 pm

There are some things I will buy from craigslist, but for some reason I'm not too comfortable buying a flat screen there. I don't really have a good way of knowing if it is damaged or stolen, and those are usually cash transactions, so I am not too comfortable going to meet some stranger with a lot of cash on me. Plus if I buy one new- at least there's a limited warranty.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am

We switch back and forth between them and we just can't tell.

You need glasses, or your doing something entirely wrong.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Yup. I have the exact same tv as rabble, and the difference is pretty clear.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

There is something to that. If they're on a 720p set, the difference isn't as clear as it once was. We're now seeing HD all the time, and I think some of us are used to that quality.

From a marketing standpoint, shouldn't we start calling anything NOT produced in HD, "Low Definition?"

HD is now SD and what was SD is now LD...ya see?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:51 am

HeyZeus wrote:That's always your best bet, going to a store like Best Buy where you can see the sets side-by-side.

Most retail places have their TVs running in a demo mode that keeps them locked into "Vivid" mode - with the contrast and sharpness cranked to a ridiculous degree. Even changing modes with the remote will generally result in the TV falling back to Vivid within a few minutes.

Apparently "Vivid" sells sets, but it's nothing that you'd want to use at home unless you had serious issues with ambient light.

Be ready to bug a sales person for help to work around this - it's worth seeing what the picture looks like in a real-world scenario before plunking down your hard-earned cash for it.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am

If you switch between the HD and non-HD channels on an Aquos of that size and can't tell the difference, you either didn't pay for HD from the cable company or you need help.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:21 am

I did end up getting a TV (a Samsung) from Best Buy since they had the one I wanted on sale. We stood around for a good half hour trying to get a salesperson's attention and finally found someone from a different department who went and found someone for us. So the service there (as I expected) was atrocious, but I'd done my research and didn't really need to talk to a salesperson anyway.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:26 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:So the service there (as I expected) was atrociou...

Love that.

When I'm truly "just looking," I can't swat those douchebags away fast enough.

When I'm ready to spend money — can't find anyone to help.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games