MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

True Grit

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

True Grit

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51 am

I joined a couple dozen or so of the other people who still watch movies in theaters last night, and caught True Grit at Sundance. I didn't see Bridges last year playing a grizzled drunk and thought it weird that he was doing another one so soon, but I liked this movie very much. The lead actress playing the young girl was excellent and believable playing a 14 year old of unbelievable maturity. Bridges wasn't trying to be The Duke and made me like him a little more (never been a big fan). The scene of him drunkenly trying to show his shooting skill by hitting tossed chunks of cornbread is so drunk-like, it should get a scene award. The running time of 110 minutes was a welcome relief in these days of way-too-long movies.

It's been too many years since I saw the original to make comparisons and why bother, just enjoy it for what it is.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: True Grit

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

It's not meant to be a remake of the first movie, but a new adaptation of the novel. Comparisons are expected, but not intended.

I'd been meaning to say something about the burgeoning anti-modernity sentiment of your recent posts, but now that I know you're basically just trying to goad people into response with them, I'll let it slide.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 pm

And if you hadn't let it slide..?

My anti-modernity opinions are genuine and you can call it goading or you can call it trying to incite some discussion on a slow forum that can't seem to talk about anything except an election they can't change. If it was Walker firing the parking attendants that thread would be at 6 pages by now.

Okay, commercials over, back to the movie.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Saw the movie a couple nights ago and thought it was quite awesome. My expectations were pretty high and the Coens delivered - these guys are just scarily consistent.

Cast was great, soundtrack was well-used, plotting was solid and the dialogue was fantastic. It also looked great. There has been a little whining on IMDB that the Coens "slept" through this one, no doubt because it's tone is fairly straight forward, but I thought they really nailed it. It's been nice to see them return to a slightly more serious tone for some movies (this one and No Country); I've always felt that Blood Simple and Miller's Crossing were two of their best.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Three generations of Joyces saw this over the weekend and all rated it a thumbs-up/A/worth seeing. I'm pretty in the tank for the Coens, but loved this one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:53 am

I thought it was excellent. Borderline for PG-13, but it could have been easily fixed by reworking 5 or 10 seconds from the cabin scene.

Down side - wife and I are just getting back into going to movie theaters after the kids are grown (mostly). When did there start to be 30 minutes worth of ads and previews beforehand? Last time, there was a couple Coke ads, a couple messages ("This theater available for rentals", "Please silence cell phones, farts and small children during the show") and then 2 or 3 previews. What a surprise that the 2:10 started at 2:40. Is that true at all the theaters in town? I'm assuming Sundance and Market Square are a bit different.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:10 am

I saw it at Sundance and there were 4 other movie previews (which were mostly interesting, all entertaining) and then the movie.

I'm a bit spoiled at the moment 'cause I live close to Sundance and have a bit of extra cash for the fancy theater - I do think it's over-priced but love the theater and experience there.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:26 pm

rrnate wrote:I do think it's over-priced but love the theater and experience there.

To me that adds up to not overpriced.

We saw True Grit there on Christmas Day and the only remaining seats were in the first two rows. Really enjoyed the film despite the neck strain, and look forward to seeing it again from a reasonable distance.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Saw it last night with the family at Eastgate. Crummy theater, but great movie. At least as good as the original, althought there was one scene that was incongruent. I'll try to get over it, however.
sadiekat

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Absolutely loved it. And I'm definitely a fan of the original movie. Never read the book.

For me, the key to whole thing was finding a young actress plucky and mature enough to play Mattie Ross, herself a character with "true grit". I think Kim Darby (Lane Meyer's fronch-fried mom in Better Off Dead) did a great job in the original. Hailee Steinfeld nails the uncompromising young Mattie perfectly for the Coen Bros version. In both versions I really dig the comedic scenes in which she does some serious horsetrading with Colonel Stonehill (though Strother Martin was better in the original).

Jeff Bridges is good. I agree regarding the aforementioned distracting coincidence of releasing two old grizzled drunk portrayals in a row though.

Matt Damon brought a lot more depth to Texas Ranger LaBoeuf than lousy Glen Campbell did.

Barely recognized Barry Pepper. Always a pleasure seeing him.

The whole movie is about Mattie hunting down Tom Chaney, the born loser who shot & robbed her father and then fled. Josh Brolin does a great job playing pathetic, evil and stupid. A small role, but important.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 pm

We liked it a whole lot more than Tron. We thought the cast were better in their roles than in the first movie and liked that they tried hard to keep it in period speech.

It was fun to compare the two movies when they redid the same scenes and spoke the same lines, though.

The first one was a good 1960's Hollywood stereotypical version, this one was an excellent period western. They complement each other.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 pm

johnmartin wrote:The new version is not the same movie as John Wayne's. Don't compare the two.

Why not?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Great film, liked it more than Black Swan but then again I like Westerns and Coen Bros. films a lot (campy ballet films a bit less).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies