MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

LCD TV's?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: LCD TV's?

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:02 pm

I've read Samsung and Toshiba are the best for the money.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:28 pm

OK, here's a few more questions for the Foron herds, since we are on the subject, and I'm considering taking the plunge.

At the moment, I own an ancient standard (CRT) TV and use a converter box and rabbit ears. I have no intention of getting cable, and really want a flat screen for two reasons:

1. It will take up less space than my old boxy TV.

2. I want to be able to watch DVDs and streaming content by hooking up my laptop to the TV as a monitor. Setting the laptop on my legs on the couch to watch works when I'm alone, but is pretty tough with another person, unless you are very close (physically and otherwise.)

So here are my questions:

a. Web wisdom seems to indicate that the screen size should be at minimum 1/3 the distance you are sitting from the screen. If it's 10 feet from the couch to the TV, that would be 40 inches. Do I really need a TV that big? I was thinking more in the 32" range.

b. How hard is it to hook/unhook a laptop to these things? Is it very quick and easy, or is it a pain in the ass to get everything to recognize each other?

c. I'd rather not spend a ton of money on this, since I'm not looking for a theater experience, but rather just a better set up than I currently have. (Don't plan to make this into a huge multi-media performance space.)

Advice from the masses?
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 pm

roadkill bill wrote:a. Web wisdom seems to indicate that the screen size should be at minimum 1/3 the distance you are sitting from the screen. If it's 10 feet from the couch to the TV, that would be 40 inches. Do I really need a TV that big? I was thinking more in the 32" range.

At 10 feet away I think you'd be fine with a 32". I'm about 8 feet away from mine and would have no problem being a few feet farther away. The picture is so much clearer than the old CRT TV I actually think a bigger screen in the space I have would end up hurting my eyes.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:01 am

I don't care what anyone says, VIZIO just simply is the best value when it comes to LCD TVs. Period.

The terrific PQ you get for the price is unbeatable by any other HDTV maker. And if you're worried about the audio from an HD set itself, then you're simply not ready for a big HD set.

Buying a decent HD set without pairing it with a separate surround sound system defeats the whole point. Your HD TV speakers are going to sound like shit for a reason. Because the manufacturers don't want you using them!

If and when you decide to go HD, allow at least an extra grand in your budget for what you'll really need to do it right. If you find a set that's say $1,500, and your totally new to all things "HD"... you'll learn quick how much extra you're really going to pay if you truly want the HD capabilities your new set is capable of.

Everything from multiple HDMI's to power strips that can easily run into the hundreds of dollars. Plus count on paying for an HD access fee from your cable or satellite provider in addition to fees for HD-only programming packages. Then there's the Bluray player itself that usually won't include an HDMI... but you're probably better off getting a gaming system anyway since it does everything... from games to Bluray to Netflix streaming to whatever the next big thing is. So there's $200-$400 right there depending on what you get.

I also have an HDMI switcher because my primary set only came with 4 HDMI ports and I need 5 as of right now. And I haven't even mentioned the cost of the surround sound. Receiver, sub, satellites, cables, speaker wire, etc... Will YOU need ALL this? That depends... you're hoping not... but you'd be surprised.

Nothing worse than my friends who think they are watching movies/shows/sports/video games/etc in HD... until I come over and explain to them that they really aren't. So yeah, while you may not need everything I said... still keep plenty of room available on your credit card when you finally head to the store to pick up your set.

Otherwise you're going to end up making posts saying that you switch back and forth between normal and HD and you can't tell the difference between the two.

Trust me, you don't want to be that guy!

:P
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 am

roadkill bill wrote:
a. Web wisdom seems to indicate that the screen size should be at minimum 1/3 the distance you are sitting from the screen. If it's 10 feet from the couch to the TV, that would be 40 inches. Do I really need a TV that big? I was thinking more in the 32" range.

No. You don't need a TV that big. You will need one that is much bigger. At 10 feet, if you do anything under 42 inches you're going to have instant regret within a week. In fact, in about 2 weeks you'll be having regret that your 42 incher is only 42 inches.

At 10 feet out get this... in either the 47 or 55 inch.

Thank me later.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Those giant screens in small houses are ridiculous. My neighbor's house is just like mine, meaning the living room is about 10' across. She got a new giant screen for Christmas and it's right opposite the picture window and lights up the entire street at night. I am waiting to hear the one-month report from her -- I bet she says watching it is really tiring. Isn't the idea behind couch-potatohood to lie motionless and have your eyes stay locked on the middle distance, hardly blinking?

I will be curious to see how the living-room-size versus screen-size thing shakes out, 1:3 or something else. Just because a screen looks great in a bar doesn't mean it is right for your house.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 pm

I just gave myself a 19" Vizio HD for Christmas and I'm pleased with it, especially for the price of $170.

I have cable but the tv did scan and pick up the over the air HD channels. The HD quality is real nice.

For my living room, I'm going 55" Sony. The bigger the better, IMO.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I wouldn't want to have a ginormous TV worth thousands of dollars to be visible to the criminals who walk down the sidewalk. Mine's only a 32", good enough.

ps. Don't buy a 32' by mistake.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:42 pm

We're about 10' from a 42" screen in a pretty small living room, and it's just right. Definitely wouldn't go smaller. With typical nighttime ambient light, it's a great picture but not overwhelming. With the lights dimmed, it's cinematic.

Picture quality was our only concern—didn't care about format, styling, features—and we ended up with Pioneer Kuro plasma (discontinued, sad to say). Nothing else came close. We ended up spending more than we'd planned, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We made a point to evaluate standard-def picture quality along with HD. It's not as much of an issue now, but at the time there were far fewer HD channels, and some of the sets we looked at did an incredibly shitty job with standard def.

Make sure your audio is up to par with your picture. REALLY makes a difference in the experience. We snagged a demo-model Bose CineMate system. It replaced our aging stereo, since we can run an iPod through the TV if we just want to listen to music.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Hooking up your laptop to a new TV is incredibly easy. Get an HDMI cable, attach one end to the HDMI port in the computer and other end to the TV. Find the right input on the TV and you're done. I just did that this weekend to watch the Rose Bowl. If your computer doesn't have an HDMI port then you'll need to figure out what it does have and it probably won't be HD by the time it gets to your TV anymore. If you're mostly using Netflix steaming, Youtube, and Amazon on Demand, then you might want to invest in a good wireless Bluray player. They new ones have all sorts of streaming stuff on them (depending on brand) and don't need to be moved around all of the time like your laptop would be.

As for size, bigger is usually better. For a 10' room I'd probably recommend 40". But if you think that's too big then go ahead and get something smaller. It's all up to you. And don't worry about the sound right away, you'll likely want to upgrade at some point but I've got relatives that use the TV speakers and it isn't that bad.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Cartman69 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm very happy with my 40" Toshiba, great picture and sound.
Also don't buy your HDMI cables at the store or you will get ripped off. They are much cheaper online at Monoprice
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 am

HeyZeus wrote:
For my living room, I'm going 55" Sony. The bigger the better, IMO.

Ugh! If it weren't for the fact that Sony makes the PS3, I would NEVER own a Sony product. Ever.

Your post makes me wonder, you're obviously quite pleased with your Vizio, but you would get the 55 inch Sony for your living room over another Vizio? Sony can make a decent set, and you'll VERY surely pay for it too. Sony's about dead last when it comes to value. I suppose if money/value isn't an issue at all, then Sony has a couple decent sets.

It's just that if you're going to shell out top dollar, there's much better sets out there at those price levels. Ducatista was spot on... that Pioneer Kuro is a beast of a set. Probably the best set I've seen in person, well, maybe second best since I gave it points for sheer size... and I only know one person who has one. He says it sucks a ton of power and generates massive heat... but other than a noticeable bump in his electric bill... he loves it. He just had to make sure to give it room to breathe!

Not sure if you saw my link above... If you're going the 55 inch route... you just simply cannot beat the quality, value, and STUNNING PQ of the Vizio XVT553SV. I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for mine when it first came out since they're practically giving them away now. You can get it delivered new from Amazon for $1,699. Unbelievable price... and that includes tax and them putting it in any room for you! You just can't beat it. I see now why they can afford to sponsor the Rose Bowl and pay Beyonce's hefty endorsement fees.

You can even get them Site To Store from Wal-Mart for $1,688 (gotta pay tax though and it shows they're backordered as of tonight).

And you may think I'm biased because I own one regarding how stunning it is (and that's just the PQ... don't even get me started on the bells & whistles and kick ass remote). But don't take my word for it. Check out the CNET review and the customer reviews from both Amazon and Wal-Mart's site. In fact, if the black levels were just a tad deeper... and I mean a small tad... and if the viewing angles were the same as most plasmas... I'd put this Vizio in a very close 2nd right behind Ducatista's Kuro (assuming it's the PDP-6020FD).

And when it comes to size, I swear it simply boils down to a gender issue! Every woman I know thinks smaller is just fine, while every man I know regrets not going bigger. That's not the case with everyone of course, I'm just stating MY OWN personal experiences with that particular issue (TVs!). And I also personally chalk that issue up to women simply not knowing, or simply not caring, enough about major electronics. Again, just stating my own personal opinion and I'm willing to take the heat for saying it... but I believe it to be more true than not!

Anyway, at least check out the Vizio before making the leap to the Sony. I think you'll be glad you did.

Anyone else here own a Vizio?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:03 am

Remember_Me wrote:Anyone else here own a Vizio?

As I mentioned in another thread, I do. Got an SV472XVT at Sam's last spring. Netflix app that comes as part of the VIA software can be a little ornery but all in all I'm very happy. I spent a lot of time researching different models and in the end just got confused.

I thought Vizio had the best value so I went with it. Now that they are sponsoring the Rose Bowl and such I expect the prices will go up in the near future. Too bad.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I'd like to know what you think the overall best 46/47 inch 3D HDTV as of right now is?
Since you're talking about Vizio, I just read that they released their first 3D Tv's last month, like this 47" model. Not sure how it stacks up to other, more established brands, which have been doing the 3D thing for at least a year or more now.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:28 am

MadMind75 wrote:I'd like to know what you think the overall best 46/47 inch 3D HDTV as of right now is?
Since you're talking about Vizio, I just read that they released their first 3D Tv's last month, like this 47" model. Not sure how it stacks up to other, more established brands, which have been doing the 3D thing for at least a year or more now.

I've paid 3-D TVs zero mind and hope they go away soon.

The disappointment of Avatar in IMAX 3-D at Star has soured me to what I believe is a temporary resurgence of a novelty experience.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games