MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Why do I need a confirm code to login?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Why do I need a confirm code to login?

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:05 pm

The past two times I logged in this week it gives me this error message:

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below."

Why? I haven't been making multiple login attempts.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why do I need a confirm code to login?

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. Although it didn't require me to do so just now.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:17 am

me too, just now.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:44 am

same here
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:48 am

I'm sure it is Jason's attempt to keep the spammers out. It won't work, of course.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Happened to me too. Puzzling, but I just did it. One more little Internet hassle to deal with.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Could be that someone harvested a bunch of forons' usernames and is trying to brute force the passwords. So there have been several failed attempts and by the time you come back to the forum, you've been logged out and your "next" attempt requires the captcha.

If the forum keeps a log of login attempts, Jason might find one IP address with an inordinate number of attempts and be able to block it, but I'm only speculating at the problem's cause and system's capabilities.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Beaver wrote:Why? I haven't been making multiple login attempts.
It would be good to have this fixed. Zero shouldn't be the maximum for attempted log-ins.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 pm

They're ignoring us. It just happened to me again.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Could be that someone harvested a bunch of forons' usernames and is trying to brute force the passwords. So there have been several failed attempts and by the time you come back to the forum, you've been logged out and your "next" attempt requires the captcha.

That's what I was afraid of.

If it's just an added security measure to keep the spammers out, I'll accept it. But if it is, then the "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts" is misleading. And making you enter in your user name and password a second time, instead of just having the captcha present on the first login attempt, is unnecessary.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 pm

There is no reason to feel depressed if you, like so many other men today, have hit the rough spot of your sexual life when you cannot seem to be performing as well as you used to do. Your agitation and frustration are easily understood, and still you should know that with the modern development of worldwide pharmacological industries it is but natural that there is bound to be a solution for your own needs when it comes down to solving your erectile dysfunction problems.

- We suggest you getting erectile dysfunction drugs from our online drugstore cheaply, easily and without much to-do. You will always be taken care of and attended to with extreme care, and you will have the possibility of choosing from a wide range of erectile dysfunction products to find a solution that will best suit your particular needs.

- The whole world puts great trust in those famous diamond shaped pills, and if you are not an exception we would like to revise some basic points that speak in favor of putting your male health in the hands of those magical tablets.
Firstly, there is no need for regular therapy – those blue pills have to be taken directly before the planned sexual contact, and extra convenience shines through when you come to realize that the pills will not start working unless sufficient sexual stimulation is provided.

- Secondly, this erectile dysfunction solution is known for its extremely low adverse side effects profile, which makes it available for all age groups of patients. Besides, it really does not matter how old you are when it goes about taking erectile dysfunction pills – just make sure that you do not overdose, and they will work for you at their best!

- Finally, those fabulous pills do not only provide you with stable erection that can be maintained for as long as you need it – they also help you to achieve unheard sensitivity during the sexual act as well as make your genitals look much more sizey!

- Think of all those benefits of taking erectile dysfunction pills and the effect you can produce on your loved one – and do not hesitate to make your order and / or refills right away!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 pm

We believe it's a bot that is trying to "brute force" its way in. Ain't the internet fun?

Working on making this better. It's as annoying for me as it is for you.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Has Isthmus pissed off Julian and the Wikileakers?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:We believe it's a bot that is trying to "brute force" its way in. Ain't the internet fun?

What I said.

Working on making this better. It's as annoying for me as it is for you.

It ain't easy and it never ends. The best thing is, there's almost always some forum that has a)had the problem before and b)found a way to fix it, so all you gotta do is google google google. Good luck!
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:10 pm

I must be one of the lucky unharvested ones since I haven't been asked for my confirm code whatever that is.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com