MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:10 am

AaronTheSnob wrote:I've gone to a few theatres recently after a hiatus of sorts. All the talk about people not going to theatres anymore seems a bit over-the-top, as each time I went recently--to Star, Sundance (twice) and Point--they were all jammed with people. The line at Sundance was clear out into the mall and the crowds were about 8 deep at the concession stand at Star.

I agree. It's been quite the affordable escape for the masses in these downtrodden times. During Avatar and Predators, the house was packed. All the more reason to not go IMO.

Plus as the dumbing down of Americans continues and marketing reigns supreme, I'd imagine the masses will keep coming back to the trough.

Glad I have other choices.

:mrgreen:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

In late...

I don't go much anymore. For me it’s not about the quality of the movies or the hassle. It’s the rude people. I have 11 free passes to use (8 expire on the 27th). I just can't get myself to go. I've had too many bad experiences. The coughing thing was spot-on by the way. People are such slobs. You don't go out to places like theaters when you're sick. If you happen to find yourself coughing, cover it up/control it. Every time I see someone not cover a cough or sneeze properly I want to go off on them. I'm Larry David.

I had problems with talkers at 5 consecutive movies. Since then, I’ve backed away. I saw "Piranha 3D" the day after it opened in Davenport, IA. Huge theater. Not a ton of people. Multiple groups of people talking and texting. My and my gal yelled at them. Didn't do any good. I walked out and complained, got my $$ back and got passes.

Then I saw "Get Low" at an indie theater in Dubuque, IA. It was me in the back, 1 lady over to my left up 10 rows, and 1 old couple on my side of the theater up 15 rows. The old couple talked and talked until I yelled at them. Same day/same theater I went to Clooney's "The American." I politely gave up my seat for some guy who was with his handicapped friend (even though there were other handicapped seats in the theater). Both those two guys and two other major assholes were talking (assholes were sitting in the back of the theater). I allowed it during the previews, even though I usually don't. Immediately after the previews started, the movie opens up to that quiet, wintery shot in Sweden. I yelled out, "Time to shut up. You can't talk during the movie." One of the jerk offs in the back said something like, "Calm down, relax" and kept talking. I got up and walked toward him, wanting to hit him in the worst way. Ended up walking out and talking to the mgr. All they can do at first is give a warning. I got my $$ and passes and left.

On 9/17 I saw "The Town" and "Easy A" at the AMC in Dubuque, IA. Again, people talking during both movies. It was quiet'ish, so I allowed it during “Town.” At the end of the movie, the old guy who’d been talking was complaining in the lobby. He’d gone out during the movies to tell them that it was too cold. He was bitching that nobody ended up doing anything about it, and looked to me for confirmation that it had been too cold. The ticket guy was saying something to him, and old dude says something like, “Ah…nobody ever listens worth a damn anyway.” I said to ticket guy, “He was talking the whole movie, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in his complaints.” The lady in line started laughing. Then I go to “Easy A.” It’s a huge theater. 1:00 on a Friday. I’m the first guy in there. Then another guy sits down at the bottom of the theater. 3 girls come in. Sure enough, although there were 8 million seats open, they sat two rows directly in front of me. Before the previews started and as they were starting, they were showing each other texts and photos of their phones. I got up and walked out to the front desk and told them I thought these girls would be a problem. They sent the 18-yr-old girl in. She stood at the end of the aisle (about 5 feet from them), just standing there watching them. They were quiet that whole time, and ended up being good throughout the movie.

I’ve just had enough. It’s so frustrating! I can’t play Wyatt Earp every time I go to a movie. It usually works to yell at people, but I’ve had times when it didn’t work (“The American”) too. What’s next? I’m a big guy, and I’d love to beat someone’s ass. But I’m not getting in trouble when they’re the ones in the wrong. People are just such morons anymore. I’m not sure if they’re literally too dense and don’t realize they’re bothering people –OR- if they’re so into “me” “me” “me” that they don’t care. My sister teaches middle school and says that her kids were shocked to learn that people talking at movies bothered her (they also think that texting the answers to someone during a test isn’t cheating).

Theater owners whine about piracy and too-soon-to-dvd releases. Maybe if they cracked down and had zero tolerance for rude behavior more people would go. I have no idea how many people don’t go b/c they don’t want to deal with that crap. I’m a guy who used to average at least a movie per week, and I haven’t been to a movie since 9/17. I’ll even go to average movies (and there are a lot of those). I just love going to the movies. But until people stop being morons or theaters police themselves better, I’ll rarely go anymore. I have a 58” Plasma and a nice Blu-ray setup, but I’d still rather go to theaters.

People think that going to weekday matinees is the answer. I have more problems at those than when I go and it’s packed. When there are only 8 people in the theater, people don’t think they have to behave for some reason. When it’s packed, I think they’re afraid of the person next to them, behind them, etc…

Maybe theaters need to bring ushers back (which they won’t do b/c they don’t want to pay someone to do it). Maybe they need to have a zero-tolerance policy (one complaint and you’re gone). There’s a chain somewhere (PA?) that kicks people out at the first sign of b.s. One guy was opening his phone to shut it off and was kicked out. He was pissed. I loved it. Next time he’ll have his phone turned off before he goes in. Maybe they can all have call boxes like the Regal chain has (push button 1 for “too hot,” button 2 for “people talking,” etc…). They should at the very least have a dedicated text # for problems.

I only get to Madison once a month or so. Madison seems better. I’ve had problems there too (Sundance, everywhere), but not as often. I find the more liberal the area, the more well-behaved people are. People aren’t as nosy, they don’t do the dumb stuff as much. I wish I lived in Madison or one of my other favorite places.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Last week at Chicago's Music Box Theatre, a woman behind me at a screening of Tati's My Uncle talked throughout. Eventually I shushed her. She mocked me.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

It's unreal. People have zero social manners/social IQ. They've turned into such morons that they actually become indignant when you tell them to shut the F up (like you're the one in the wrong).
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

clyde wrote:Why don't I go? 1) DH doesn't like to go: 2) spendy; 3) annoying people; 4) lack of adult beverages; 5) can't pause the film for a potty break; and finally 6) it generally isn't acceptable to wear my pj's out in public.

So the moral of the story is that I like to drink beer in my jammies.

A Saturday matinee at the Orpheum takes care of 3, 4, and 6. We call if Filmfast: breakfast at the Orph, followed by whatever matinee's playing. Cocktail with breakfast, beer or cocktail with the movie, fresh popcorn (yeah, we just had breakfast, so?), and we often have the theater to ourselves. We don't wear PJs, but probably could, if we owned PJs.

You can enjoy a beer with your movie at Sundance, too, though if a regular movie is too spendy I'm guessing you wouldn't want to pony up the higher Sundance ticket price.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Funny store. Several years ago, my partner and I both had a day off in mid-week, so we decided to catch a matinee at the Hilldale Theatre. I think it was around 1:00 in the afternoon or something. We walk into the theatre about 5 minutes before showtime and there was not one single solitary person in the whole place. So we amble down the aisle about midway and take two seats at the end of the row (I like aisle seats).

You guessed it. About two minutes later, a third person walks into the theatre and stands for a few seconds surveying the unlimited seat selection before him. He then proceeds to walk down the aisle and take a seat in the row ahead of us, directly in front of us!

Like something out of a sitcom...
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Someone was talking during a screening of My Uncle at the Music Box? Gee, is nothing sacred? (So, how was it? Is it different than Mon Oncle?)

I've had good luck with audiences in Madison, but once had the two ushers talk loudly during the ending of No Country for Old Men at a theater in Illinois. Now that was annoying. I've mostly been seeing movies with large audiences lately and for whatever reason that seems to help.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Athena wrote:Someone was talking during a screening of My Uncle at the Music Box? Gee, is nothing sacred? (So, how was it? Is it different than Mon Oncle?)

It was great! Funny and beautiful. It helps me understand why the French by reputation love Jerry Lewis, and I'm not being mean when I say that.

And it is different from Mon Oncle. Here's the lowdown:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/20/movies/20uncl.html
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:30 pm

The last move I saw in theaters was a couple years ago. A few year agos I got Charter digital cable with several movie channels and that is all I need. Sure the movies aren't the newest but that's ok with me. Lately I saw Up in the Air, A Serious Man, and Nine. All 2009 or 2010 movies that I'm catching up with.
Last edited by Shorty on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:It's unreal. People have zero social manners/social IQ. They've turned into such morons that they actually become indignant when you tell them to shut the F up (like you're the one in the wrong).

What you said here AND above. I used to love going to the movies more but now it's only for movies I know are just made for the BIG screen or I'll wait and watch them at home. What is it with the cell phones in the theater?? People! Turn off your ringer, stop checking your glow in the dark messages and what not and get into the movie. It's distracting for everyone else. Talking is just not right--you know it because someone always tells you to shut up so SHHHH!!!

I wish movie theaters would offer a special "movie lover" showing. Tell folks it's NO cell phones or ringers allowed for this showing and engage a cell phone blocker in the room to enforce this policy. Clearly advertise that no talking is allowed during this special show. Not sure how to enforce that one other than allowing Bigredhunk to toss you out on your sorry, inconsiderate butt.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artsifartsi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm

You are NOT alone.

Just last week I saw The King's Speech at Sundance (fantastic film, by the way), and I left telling my companion that I was through with seeing films in theatres.

1. Quality. I swear the pictures aren't as crisp as they used to be. This is especially noticeable when I have to sit in the third row of a stadium-seated theatre. Picture is just awful that close. And by the way, Sundance, if I have to sit that close because the rest of the theatre is sold out, how about a discount for having to crank my neck for two hours??

2. Staff. Full disclosure: I was a movie projectionist in the 80s. That's before digital AND before platter systems. Remember in Cinema Paradiso when the kid had to ensure that the carbon sticks wouldn't get too close and burn the film? That was me. That said, I do know something about what it takes to show a decent picture. I can't tell you how many times I've had to run to the box office (and in today's multi-plexes, that's pretty far) and ask for a picture to be put into focus or for the frame to be moved so the subtitles weren't cut off. So frustrating that the projectionists don't bother watching the films they're showing. Probably hitting a button somewhere from the front office.

2. Film technique. I know this isn't just me. I can't see movies that are filmed with hand-held cameras and it's virtually impossible to know if a film is made this way until I'm actually sitting in the theatre. It's especially jarring when the jerking image is projected on a stadium screen. Twice, I've had to ask for refunds 30 minutes into a film because the motion made me sick. BTW, I don't have this problem watching the same film on my 47" TV.

3. Patrons (the noisy ones), Price, and Proximity to a cheap beer

-Artsifartsi
artsifartsi

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:11 am

After several years' respite, I went to see The King's Speech at Sundance.

I'm done.

The aggravation of murmuring cattle loudly masticating their popcorn cud (at eleven o'clock in the morning, no less) did it for me. This, in a near-empty theater.

(What, does your only social food experience have to do with eating tinted popcorn in a corporate venue??) Criminy! Get your fast on and consider a budget spa experience: mouth shut – eyes open.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 am

A couple of years ago I went to see Night at the Museum at Eastgate. (I was very bored). The theatre was packed and there was a mother loudly nursing her baby in the same row as me. The baby would be very lightly crying and then would be suckled. Repeat. I was on the aisle and every 15 minutes she would get up and leave the theatre. As she went by, you were immersed in the smell of sour milk. You couldn't make this up. I didn't see the end of the movie.
Last edited by iwiw99 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 am

Sheesh. Next time I go to a theater I'll be a little creeped out at the thought of the seething control freaks in the audience, about to endure what they'll later declare was their last trip to the cinema.

I hate talkers and crying babies and ringtones as much as the next guy, but everything else—rustling, chewing, the smell of Twizzlers, the occasional stoned and inattentive projectionist—is part of the ritual. And even the talkers and criers and ringers won't keep me from loving that moment when the theater darkens and the show begins.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Good grief. When I first read BigRedHunk's post I half-suspected he was just writing an over-the-top parody of all things worthy of complaint at the movie theater, but then all these other folks continued filing in and piling on ...

People clearly have some strong personal views of what their moviegoing experience should and shouldn't include. Of course many of the complaints are valid (talking, texting), but other whines just seem like extremely anti-social nitpicking. For those folks that crave a more insulated moviewatching experience, please stay at home in your vacuum-sealed viewing bubbles and continue bitching crazily to yourselves.

I'm glad I'm not the only sane person left in the theater, Ducat.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies