MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bonfyre

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bonfyre

Postby john_titor » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:29 pm

I could have sworn I had seen a thread on this restaurant. Maybe it was in the paper.

I went to lunch there recently. I had seen it in the past in various stages of construction. It had strip mall feel to me, especially being next door to a sub shop. After being inside, it is easier to ignore.

The service was the best I have had in a long time, the interior and lighting well done. A homey contemporary warm feel on a cold day. I think they could make some serious coin as one of the better places for an expensed business lunch.

Probably the nicest dressed crowd I have ever seen at lunch on a Wednesday. My only beef: the window seats are too damn cold. (I did not complain, I'm fat and eating for free)

Misto Frito was probably may favorite. Calamari and shrimp fried and served on like a sweet and sour sauce, but better. Excellent flavors.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bonfyre

Postby flopsweat » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 pm

my fiance and i were there for a meal a few months ago and had a less than fantastic experience.

we found the meal to be sub-par compared to the price points and the service was mediocre at best.

perhaps this experience was a fluke, but we haven't been back to find out.
flopsweat

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:36 pm

I was there for lunch last spring. Meh.

The chicken wrap I had was the size of a McDonald's hamburger, with even less meat. Add fries/soda/tip and I'm over $10.

The pizzas looked good. Maybe the dinners are better.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 am

Had dinner there earlier this year. I recall it being decent, but the prices were a little high. I think we had a steak and an entree salad.

It reminded me of an "upscale family restaurant" (i.e., nicer Applebees). The inside decor and feel was quite nice. I haven't rushed back, mostly due to the price and location, but probably wouldn't be upset if someone asked me to go there with them. Good enough to wish them luck and success.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby sadiekat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:39 am

We had a horrible experience there on Valentine's day this year- got the bum's rush through dinner, including a waiter's attempt to remove my plate while I was still fork-in-hand. It was tremendously uncomfortable and not a good dinner overall. A work-related luncheon in the summer was much more successful, and the food was quite good. I don't see it as a destination for dinner, but I'd go and sit at the bar with a couple of drinks and appetizers.
sadiekat

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 pm

I went there about a year ago. The Isthmus had a review that praised the homemade potato chips. We went there after a shopping trip to American. Our chips were slightly overcooked. They were edible but nothing special. My SO's burger and my sandwich were good but nothing special. My side of green beans were cooked perfectly. I thought prices seemed OK for what we got. I thought the interior design made you forget you were by Selective Video and the Beltline.

I haven't been back. It wasn't compelling enough for us to return. I could see if I lived in the area that I might go there.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I went there a few months back for dinner. We all enjoyed our food but I didn't think it was anything special. I do plan to go back for their roast chicken sometime as my husband really liked his. The chips with the blue cheese were good. It is high on my list of easy to get to and park at restaurants which is useful when you have relatives over who don't understand why you would want to go downtown.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby kulgar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:43 pm

If the bookpolice didn't cite you, there's no previous thread. I couldn't find anything on google so assume there isn't. What's more disturbing, and my personal input confirms, is that very few people appear to be reading or posting on this site anymore. And google reflects that with low listings for dailypage entries.

Bonfyre had been mentioned a bit in passing.....I personally hit them for their fruit bomb wine list. It does seem like a money machine location: it's easy to find, Great Dane Plus food, and generally good service. Location, location, location without the exorbitant rent that those various places out on PD had in that "death of restaurant' location. Fitches, gosh, what were all the names?
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

kulgar wrote:If the bookpolice didn't cite you,

Held out longer than you did. :wink:

The PD death spot was Fitch's Chophouse, then Good Times, then Kickshaw.

This place absolutely explodes at lunch. But I was sad to see, on a recent visit, that the desserts have been marginalized and boring-ified. They taste fine enough, and are uniformly (and cheaply) priced. But they're nowhere near as interesting or as satisfying as the original lineup.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
kulgar wrote:If the bookpolice didn't cite you,

Held out longer than you did. :wink:

The PD death spot was Fitch's Chophouse, then Good Times, then Kickshaw.

This place absolutely explodes at lunch. But I was sad to see, on a recent visit, that the desserts have been marginalized and boring-ified. They taste fine enough, and are uniformly (and cheaply) priced. But they're nowhere near as interesting or as satisfying as the original lineup.

Quite frankly, they should be ashamed of their desserts, which are essentially a collection of Jell-O no-bake options served in Island Shooter Glasses. I enjoyed dinner the first two times I went there(Flat Iron Steak, Ahi Tuna), but last Sunday thought the Jumbo Shrimp was fairly mediocre, and my girlfriend's Rotisserie Chicken was extremely dry. Very good service, though, and I could eat the Poutine seven days a week.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Has anyone been here lately? We've got a visiting family member having a birthday and were thinking of taking her here.

Should we still go for after dinner drinks instead of the deserts?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed May 21, 2014 5:40 pm

I have gone back once, for restaurant week. It was ok. But then again,

"Ultimately I think it's good for Madison, the more people who do it," Dahl said, but "I don't like any kind of restaurant week, in any city. I've never enjoyed it. It's such a lower-end experience of what everybody's trying to do."

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 80bab.html

(good article btw)

Did you go?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I've been there just once, taken by a friend, and always have intended to go back to try other things. They had an excellent yellow squash cream soup (with fennel?). I liked the airiness, light, and modern comforts of the place.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews