MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Considering cancelling cable TV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Considering cancelling cable TV

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:We watched the fabulous "Paddle to Seattle" documentary on broadcast PBS last night, despite all the lightning and rain, and the HD was incredible. We've had a big ol' HD set in our house without cable for 1.5 years and some of the HD footage still blows me away.

Do you have DVD or Blu-ray? I've heard DVD looks better on HD than SD, but of course Blu-ray is even better yet.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

In my experience with a 42" plasma, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is noticeable but not that dramatic. I suspect it is more dramatic with bigger HDTVs. DVDs do look quite good.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:In my experience with a 42" plasma, the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is noticeable but not that dramatic. I suspect it is more dramatic with bigger HDTVs. DVDs do look quite good.

A typical Blu-ray player (and many recent DVD players) will upscale the video data in standard-def DVDs to HD resolution before output.

Of course, the resulting quality is still inevitably lower than HD source material.

With my 32" LCD TV, it's certainly good enough that I often still buy movies on DVD, if they're significantly cheaper than the same titles on Blu-ray.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 am

Hello,

Can you stream Netflix with a wireless computer? (physically hooked up to the tv)

Is there such a thing as regular vs blue ray streaming?

Thanks
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:02 pm

iwiw99 wrote:Hello,

Can you stream Netflix with a wireless computer? (physically hooked up to the tv

Do you mean a computer that hooked up wirelessly to the internet? If that's what you mean, the answer is yes. We hook one of our laptops to the TV. Not all TVs and not all computers will do this well. The laptop we use has HDMI out so it's really easy to do. Our old computer and old laptop looked awful when we tried to use s-video out on the laptop. I would also not recommend doing this if you hook up wireless using a cellular service. It would get really expensive.

iwiw99 wrote:Is there such a thing as regular vs blue ray streaming?

Blu-ray is a DVD format so there is no Blu-ray streaming. There is high definition streaming if that is what you mean.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am

It's tempting to cancel Charter cable but they are coming up with ways to keep customers. For example, they are testing 'TV everywhere' which could be offered to customers by the end of the year. It would give customers 8 to 10 channels to watch free on the internet.

http://host.madison.com/ct/business/tec ... 03286.html
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Over the air HDTV pretty much stinks in my neck of the woods (near east side). We have a powered indoor antenna situated near a window, but it doesn't really improve anything when the weather is bad. And even when the weather isn't bad, it's a pain to move the direction it's pointed in when you want to switch between certain channels (for some reason channel 57 sucks and all other channels are great, or channel 57 is great and all other channels suck).

We get by with DVDs (MST3K!) and we watched all of Arrested Develpment on Hulu. We starting to get into Burn Notice on Hulu, but only a few episodes are available at a time. We hooked a video output from our Mac mini to an HDTV and it works pretty well. Only problem is that I have an older Mac mini and the picture quality isn't as good as I hear it is on the newer ones.

Oh, and we read more books now, too!
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby ajdowning » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm currently working on a story on Madison-ites who've cut the cable in their homes. Anyone who might be up for talking for 5-10 minutes could email me at ajdowning at gmail.com. Thanks for any help any of you might be able to offer.
ajdowning

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 pm

A story for who, Isthmus?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am

Penthouse Forum.
Smutterly

Postby acereraser » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Smutterly wrote:Penthouse Forum.

That would make sense, if the thread topic was the installation, or dare I say, the laying of cable.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 pm

I gave up cable years ago. I get decent over the air HDTV in Stoughton. Not foolproof but usually pretty good. Add Netflix streaming, YouTube and Amazon ondemand thru my Tivo and a few odd websites and I watch pretty much anything I want. Sure I might have to wait a day or month to do so, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

If you're using a computer hooked to your tv and the picture looks bad it's most likely because you have the resolution of the computer at something the tv can't handle and it's scaling the video. Scaling video is pretty much anyways a bad idea. I've had good luck using pretty much any hookup method (hdmi, s-video, etc) as long as you set the computer close to the right resolution.

The problem is lot's of computer can't output the proper resolution that a tv wants to see.

One of the main benefits of using something like the Roku, Apple TV or Tivo boxes is they output streaming video at the right resoltion.

Here's a good article on resolutions. Try and get as close as possible to the tv's native resolution for the best results.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm

acereraser wrote:
Smutterly wrote:Penthouse Forum.

That would make sense, if the thread topic was the installation, or dare I say, the laying of cable.

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm

How's the over the air HDTV on the westside of town, in the vicinity of N. Gammon and Old Sauk Rd? A friend is considering not re-upping his Charter cable service, and I told him about my not so great experience on the near east side, so I'm wondering if the reception is better on the west side. (He did try to get Charter to extend the 2-year deal that he originally got, but so far, they haven't bitten. Perhaps he just needs to keep threatening to quit until he finds the right Charter rep....)

As for us on the near east side, reception is still more or less okay with an internal powered antenna next to the rear window of the house, but if it's windy, raining, or snowing, forget about it.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:04 pm

I live in Midvale Heights and get acceptable but not pristine results with this antenna. It's an outdoor model, but I use it inside.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games