MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Those bitter Bear fans

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Those bitter Bear fans

Postby Dipper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 am

As I lifelong Packer fan I've always enjoyed the Packers-Bears rivalry. But do I hate the Bears? No, and certainly no one can hate the Bears more than their own fans. Tune-in to their postgame talk radio shows, and the "fans" sound like a lynch mob. Ganging up on their injured quarterback, questioning his toughness, and questioning Lovie's call to pull him out. Booing their own team at the end of halftime. Leaving the stadium when they were still just a touchdown behind. I don't get it. What's with you people? Have you been hurt too often to ever love again?
Dipper
Forum Addict

Re: Those bitter Bear fans

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 am

It must be that a lot of them are Cub fans and we all know they're a bunch of self loathing insufferable malcontents.
I agree. Bear Down! I don't hate the Bears at all. The Vikings now that's a different story. But the Vikings don't have real fans so there's that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

ESPN just reported that Cutler has a torn MCL.

I reserve my hate for the Cowboys, but the Bears still suck.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Dipper wrote:What's with you people? Have you been hurt too often to ever love again?

Yes.

fisticuffs wrote:It must be that a lot of them are Cub fans and we all know they're a bunch of self loathing insufferable malcontents.

Yes.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Dipper wrote:As I lifelong Packer fan I've always enjoyed the Packers-Bears rivalry. But do I hate the Bears? No, and certainly no one can hate the Bears more than their own fans. Tune-in to their postgame talk radio shows, and the "fans" sound like a lynch mob. Ganging up on their injured quarterback, questioning his toughness, and questioning Lovie's call to pull him out. Booing their own team at the end of halftime. Leaving the stadium when they were still just a touchdown behind. I don't get it. What's with you people? Have you been hurt too often to ever love again?

As a lifelong Bears fan, I've always enjoyed the rivalry too.

But it's gotta be easy for a Packer fan to be able to cheer for one of the best QBs of all time, who never got hurt, for like 17 years. And then be able to cheer for the guy who replaces him, who just happens to already look like a fucking superstar.

Try cheering for a team that goes through QBs faster than a bloody Ferrari. It's frustrating, and they make an easy target because we're never given time to get to know them, or, in other instances, we already know what the Bears organization fails to know: a lot of these QBs suck.

Am I jealous? You bet. Do I think Cutler can be pretty good in Chicago for a few years to come? You bet.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm

What I find aggravating is the way the Bears (and Cubs, at least) have to be sure to earn disrespect before trying to succeed.

The Bears beat the Packers by score in the second half, and I suspect the stats would show they beat them overall in the second half. But they had to be sure to embarrass themselves first, and now people will forever remember the whole game going as did the first Packer drive.

I figured they'd lose, did they have to make it embarrassing?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Right Bower wrote:
Dipper wrote:As I lifelong Packer fan I've always enjoyed the Packers-Bears rivalry. But do I hate the Bears? No, and certainly no one can hate the Bears more than their own fans. Tune-in to their postgame talk radio shows, and the "fans" sound like a lynch mob. Ganging up on their injured quarterback, questioning his toughness, and questioning Lovie's call to pull him out. Booing their own team at the end of halftime. Leaving the stadium when they were still just a touchdown behind. I don't get it. What's with you people? Have you been hurt too often to ever love again?

As a lifelong Bears fan, I've always enjoyed the rivalry too.

But it's gotta be easy for a Packer fan to be able to cheer for one of the best QBs of all time, who never got hurt, for like 17 years. And then be able to cheer for the guy who replaces him, who just happens to already look like a fucking superstar.

Try cheering for a team that goes through QBs faster than a bloody Ferrari. It's frustrating, and they make an easy target because we're never given time to get to know them, or, in other instances, we already know what the Bears organization fails to know: a lot of these QBs suck.

Am I jealous? You bet. Do I think Cutler can be pretty good in Chicago for a few years to come? You bet.

Dude, one word: Caleb Hanie.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Flash in the pan.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Dude, one word: Caleb Hanie.

Dude - one word: yer a moron.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: the Bears still suck.

Ya, and anything you hear in a polka song is inherently true.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm

anything you hear in a polka song is inherently true.

Words to live by.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dipper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:02 pm

the Bears still suck

Yeah, but my point is that their fans suck more. They can't wait to throw in the towel so they can start booing and pointing fingers. The Bears were a Hester-return from tying that game, but many of the Bear faithless had already left the stadium to go grumble into their Goose Islands. THESE ARE NOT REAL FOOTBALL FANS.
Dipper
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:08 pm

but many of the Bear faithless had already left the stadium to go grumble into their Goose Islands.

That's the Cub fan in them. Pretty sure the Cub fans have already thrown in the towel on the upcoming season. 100 years will do that to you. I can see the QB jealousy thing but it's not like the Pack have been without their share of misery. BF caused as much of it as anybody. Watching him toss up a pick in the NFC Championship against the Giants was just the capper. Early in his career there were those who wanted him benched. The difference is in fan attitude. Lambeau is packed for the scrimmage games. The Pack can go 2-14 and still sell out and they can be down 30 in the fourth and no one leaves their seats. Some of that optimism has seeped into Miller Park as well.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Many good suggestions as to what ails Bears fans. I've been a Bears fan forever, and I think the main thing that's making the fans so bitter is the thought that this whole year has been accomplished on the basis of tons of good luck unlikely to ever be replicated, and that, since they made the playoffs we'll be stuck with Lovie Smith, Jerry Angelo, and Ted Phillips (the president of the team) for another 5-7 years each. Hopes were high at the beginning of the season that the team would fall flat (I predicted 4-12), and the Three Stooges would subsequently be out. No more ridiculous crap like "Rex gives us the best chance to win" and the like. I suspect next year will be a lot like the year after Dick Jauron took 'em to a 13-3 record, or the year after their last Super Bowl: hopeless. Ridiculous, I agree. I thought they were doing it with mirrors all year and the last game was an exciting end to a strange season.

The screaming on the post-game shows is something of a schtick, though, at least on 670 AM. Buffone and Obradovich sometimes act like that after a Bears win. And so do the meatball callers. Not unlike callers to White Sox postgame shows.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
but many of the Bear faithless had already left the stadium to go grumble into their Goose Islands.

That's the Cub fan in them. Pretty sure the Cub fans have already thrown in the towel on the upcoming season. 100 years will do that to you. I can see the QB jealousy thing but it's not like the Pack have been without their share of misery. BF caused as much of it as anybody. Watching him toss up a pick in the NFC Championship against the Giants was just the capper. Early in his career there were those who wanted him benched. The difference is in fan attitude. Lambeau is packed for the scrimmage games. The Pack can go 2-14 and still sell out and they can be down 30 in the fourth and no one leaves their seats. Some of that optimism has seeped into Miller Park as well.

The real Cubs fans I know are eternal optimists before every season begins.

As far as selling out the stadium, I'll assume you haven't been to a game at Wrigley Field. I'd argue that the worst thing going for the Cubs is that they keep selling as many tickets as they do, because the "fans" there treat each home game as a $50 a head outdoor party. Cubs management is happy to make the money and not have to field a team worth a shit for all the mid-twenty, "Look at me, I live in Wrigleyville and I'm making some bank now so I can blow it on crappy baseball and cheep beer at the Cubby Bear" folks showing up for the games.

If nevermore is still floating around on this forum, he'll be sure to offer a rebuttal and zing me for some grammatical error.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking