Re: Mason Lounge

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:11 pm

jman111 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:... bars that serve beer in goblets.

They are used when the establishment doesn't want you to know how little beer you are getting for a very steep price.

They are also used for dispensing an appropriate portion in the appropriate vessel. Who really wants their 10% ABV Belgian trippel or similar strong ale served in a pint glass? Not me, that's for sure.

I don't often get those, but I understand their purpose and don't begrudge their use. However on the rare times I do order that, I'd prefer a half-full pint glass over a full goblet. Or just charge me double for a full pint glass.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby friendofafriend » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm

i don't care what the purpose is although i'm sure its about experiencing the beer properly. For those of us who don't really give a s--- i wish they would offer it in a regular glass with an adjusted price. i feel like i'm drinking out of an ice cream dish. i do like the mason though!
friendofafriend

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Speaking of which, know how much beer fits in a frisbee?

A LOT!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 am

friend- If you don't give a s--- about it, perhaps you should consider ordering beer in a can or bottle. That way, you know what to expect.

I'm curious, do folks complain when wine or cocktails come in non-pint glasses? Are there objections when different wine varieties are served in different glasses? Do you object when a "neat" whisky comes in a small glass, instead of a quarter-filled tub?

Speaking of ice cream, should premium ice cream be sold only in partial-filled quarts instead of smaller containers, so as to avoid deception?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:... bars that serve beer in goblets.

Such as expensive Belgiums (I'm looking at you, Brasserie V). They are used when the establishment doesn't want you to know how little beer you are getting for a very steep price.

The pint glass is the great equalizer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hmmmph » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The pint glass is the great equalizer.

jman111 wrote:Don't be so sure. Check some of the "pint" glasses at your favorite watering holes and see if you're getting 16 oz. My guess is its closer to 14.

Ah yes, "falsies" are quite prevalent and mildly fill me with rage.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121279252381153273.html
hmmmph

Postby nbosscher » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:50 pm

jillyo wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Speaking of which, know how much beer fits in a frisbee?

A LOT!

How much beer does fit into a frisbee? I would think it would be a very small amount that could fit under that rim. I want to learn more. It'd be a very creative way to serve a drink....

In an official ultimate frisbee disc you can fit close to 60oz. of beer. That's 5 beers! Hard to believe, which makes it great for pulling pranks on the uninitiated at frisbee parties.
nbosscher

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:16 am

hmmmph wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The pint glass is the great equalizer.

jman111 wrote:Don't be so sure. Check some of the "pint" glasses at your favorite watering holes and see if you're getting 16 oz. My guess is its closer to 14.

Ah yes, "falsies" are quite prevalent and mildly fill me with rage.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121279252381153273.html

Ever look closely at a Nitty Gritty B-day mug? Lotsa glass in those. It's still free but only a little at a time.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Made it to Mason's last week. Had a great time. The atmosphere is still good-similar to Azzalino's in lighting and color, if I recall.

Beer selection was good. Anywhere with Dark Horse Scotty Karate on tap is good in my book. Also had a New Holland Stout (bottle), which pleases me.

I'll be back, but still wish it was a hair closer to the west.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:30 pm

kimm wrote:Beer selection was good. Anywhere with Dark Horse Scotty Karate on tap is good in my book.

Wow. Haven't had Scotty Karate on tap yet. I found it slightly inferior to Warped Speed when bottled. This will get me there, probably tonight.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am

So, I finally made it over to The Mason. Beer selection is excellent- 19 tap lines. Scotty Karate on tap was delicious- better than bottled. Brian is very personable and knows his products well. I like the atmosphere (as mentioned, similar to Azzalino's). By removing the kitchen, he really opened up the room and gave it the lounge feel. You just gotta love bars with sofas and comfortable chairs.

For those concerned about parking, there is a parking lot in back. Take the alley (one way from Park Street) next to Lane's bakery. Most of the spots are marked with signs for neighboring businesses, but the insurance business is closed in the evening so those spots should be alright for use (I don't think that this is "official policy", but it is consistent with how the lot was used previously). Stay out of the spots reserved for the apartments, though. And don't forget, that alley is one way to the west. So you exit to Brooks St.

I don't live in the area, but I will stop back when I'm over there. I encourage you to do the same.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails