MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
shriners
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Those bitter Bear fans

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Those bitter Bear fans

Postby c02 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Dipper wrote:Ganging up on their injured quarterback, questioning his toughness, and questioning Lovie's call to pull him out.

The biggest problem with Cutler is he does nothing, and I mean nothing to gain fan support. He always looks miserable. The guy could be on a Tahitian beach with hordes of scantily females around him (or males or hermaphrodites....I don't judge) and he'd still look like someone just ran over his puppy.

He came to Chicago with baggage and has done nothing to change their minds. The guy just carries him self like a deeply depressed mis-understood artist. It's like looking at the grim reaper with an inferiority complex. To some extent I actually feel bad for the guy. Not so much for Bears fans.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Dipper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of starting the season as a fan WANTING their team to have a shitty season so maybe they'll get rid of their coach/GM/owner. The Bears aren't that bad. I mean, they won the division! And if Rodgers hadn't tripped up Urlacher, it might've been the Bears bound for Dallas with high-fives all-around. One tipped ball could have made this a very different story. The fans' vicious defeatism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Seriously, burning Cutler's jersey? No wonder Bartman went underground.
Dipper
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Dipper wrote:Tune-in to their postgame talk radio shows, and the "fans" sound like a lynch mob.

Bashing their home teams has been a staple of Chicago talk radio for as long as I remember. The radio jocks start it off and then invite listeners to call in and pile on their cruelty. It's a Chicago thing.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
anything you hear in a polka song is inherently true.

Words to live by.

Well, there was this one time long ago in a beer tent up in Colfax, anyways congratulations to the Packers.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 pm

"Bitter Bear Fan" would make a great beer name. Something with enough hops to curl your tongue permanently.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 am

Right Bower wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
but many of the Bear faithless had already left the stadium to go grumble into their Goose Islands.

That's the Cub fan in them. Pretty sure the Cub fans have already thrown in the towel on the upcoming season. 100 years will do that to you. I can see the QB jealousy thing but it's not like the Pack have been without their share of misery. BF caused as much of it as anybody. Watching him toss up a pick in the NFC Championship against the Giants was just the capper. Early in his career there were those who wanted him benched. The difference is in fan attitude. Lambeau is packed for the scrimmage games. The Pack can go 2-14 and still sell out and they can be down 30 in the fourth and no one leaves their seats. Some of that optimism has seeped into Miller Park as well.

The real Cubs fans I know are eternal optimists before every season begins.

As far as selling out the stadium, I'll assume you haven't been to a game at Wrigley Field. I'd argue that the worst thing going for the Cubs is that they keep selling as many tickets as they do, because the "fans" there treat each home game as a $50 a head outdoor party. Cubs management is happy to make the money and not have to field a team worth a shit for all the mid-twenty, "Look at me, I live in Wrigleyville and I'm making some bank now so I can blow it on crappy baseball and cheep beer at the Cubby Bear" folks showing up for the games.

If nevermore is still floating around on this forum, he'll be sure to offer a rebuttal and zing me for some grammatical error.

Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Packer and Cub fan. You'd be surprised at how many of us there are. And I'll be the first to say that the business I get from Packer/Brewer fan is nothing compared to the shit I get from Bear/Cub fan on Cub-fan sites. Those people are miserable today and I'm not ashamed to admit that it makes me a little happy.

I'm pretty certain I've never gone Grammar Nazi on anybody - but feel free to waste hours combing through 10 years of my posting to find a time I did.

But I really wanted to come in here to point out that beautiful last line in fisty's post and also remind everybody to go over this thread. You Brewer fans couldn't wait to turn this into a Cub-fan-bashing/Brewer-fan-virtue-conflating discussion.

It reminds me of something I read about Miller Park: The person who wrote it said that Brewer fans couldn't name their second baseman unless his name happened to be "Cubs Suck!" - which was constantly screamed no matter who the Brewers were playing.

You guys are like White Sock fan. You're not defined by your love of your team or your love of baseball (certainly not by your knowledge of baseball). You're defined by one thing only: Your hatred of me and my team (standard exceptions granted to Marvell, Paco, HV and a couple other forons I can't recall. It's early. I need coffee!)

Anyway, back to lurking. Packers rule, Bears suck, pitchers and catchers report in three weeks, winter is going down!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:26 am

Dipper wrote:I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of starting the season as a fan WANTING their team to have a shitty season so maybe they'll get rid of their coach/GM/owner. The Bears aren't that bad. I mean, they won the division! And if Rodgers hadn't tripped up Urlacher, it might've been the Bears bound for Dallas with high-fives all-around. One tipped ball could have made this a very different story. The fans' vicious defeatism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Seriously, burning Cutler's jersey? No wonder Bartman went underground.

I think you've come close to crysatlizing the difference between Bears fans and Packer fans. And what Nevermore says about White Sox fans is true of a significant portion of Sox fans, especially those who were fans before 2005; their resentment of the Cubs frequently seems far more important to them than the Sox' success or failure.

Bears fans pine for tough guys like Butkus and Ditka, but Butkus (and, for that matter, Sayers) never played in the post season. I think there are far more Bears fans who would accept a 2-14 record as long as the 2 wins were over Green Bay than there are Packers fans who would be satisfied by the opposite. Forest Gregg might be a significant exception.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 am

nevermore wrote:"Cubs Suck!"
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 am

Prepare for more bellicose weeping and wailing from the megalopolis to the south: Lovie Smith's contract has been extended by the Bears.

In related news, the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jay Cutler used the stairs at the restaurant where he went out to eat after the Bears' loss to the Packers Sunday. The fans are in an uproar.

Can Caleb Hanie's elevation to starter be far behind?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am

nevermore wrote:And I'll be the first to say that the business I get from Packer/Brewer fan is nothing compared to the shit I get from Bear/Cub fan on Cub-fan sites.

I'll second this, and it's true of some Blackhawks/Bears fans too. Although my top honors go to a group of Marquette fratboys at a spring game at Miller Park where I'd made the apparent mistake of wearing a UW windbreaker and my Cubs hat. One did get in a halfway witty insult about Bo Ryan and Pinella but they mostly just chanted "Fuck the Badgers/Cubs" for ten minutes straight, all the way down from the upper deck. Good times.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 am

scratch wrote:Can Caleb Hanie's elevation to starter be far behind?

We'll take Cutler then.

Love,
The Buffalo Bills
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 am

scratch wrote:In related news, the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jay Cutler used the stairs at the restaurant where he went out to eat after the Bears' loss to the Packers Sunday. The fans are in an uproar.

Contrast that with Rogers, who played after another possible concussion from the Peppers helmet hit.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:02 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
scratch wrote:In related news, the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jay Cutler used the stairs at the restaurant where he went out to eat after the Bears' loss to the Packers Sunday. The fans are in an uproar.

Contrast that with Rogers, who played after another possible concussion from the Peppers helmet hit.

Yes, Rodgers like the Mississippi wang-dang-dangler before him, is well on his way to sainthood. Long may he wave.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Yes, Rodgers like the Mississippi wang-dang-dangler before him, is well on his way to sainthood. Long may he wave.

It helps tremendously that he has displayed more than one singular facial expression in his short time in GB. Cutler doesn't seem to be able to have any looks other than "douchey". Personality matters. Cutler came in as a cry baby Denver didn't want to deal with anymore. A guy with tremendous talent who hadn't won anything since high school and didn't seem to care. If at any point over the past two years with the Bears he'd done anything at all to change that perception the fallout from Sunday would have been softer. But he didn't.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

fisticuffs wrote:It helps tremendously that he has displayed more than one singular facial expression in his short time in GB. Cutler doesn't seem to be able to have any looks other than "douchey". Personality matters. Cutler came in as a cry baby Denver didn't want to deal with anymore. A guy with tremendous talent who hadn't won anything since high school and didn't seem to care. If at any point over the past two years with the Bears he'd done anything at all to change that perception the fallout from Sunday would have been softer. But he didn't.

I can't disagree with any of that. A lot of Bears fans have spent the last two years wanting Kyle Orton back. He always looked like he was trying, and the online pix of him chugging Jack Daniels from the bottle didn't hurt. I doubt if Bears fans will ever accept Cutler regardless of what he does or what faces he pulls. Same with Lovie: he's not Ditka, and he doesn't throw public tantrums. We want Bobby Douglass and Abe Gibron back. Who needs postseason success?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking