MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Those bitter Bear fans

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Those bitter Bear fans

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 am

Where would the Bears be with Orton and all those draft picks back? I don't think Cutler got them where they were this year. A better offensive line, a wide receiver, some depth at corner? They would have been just fine with Orton who is way better than anyone has ever given him credit for.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 am

I am a Bears fan. I am not bitter.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Where would the Bears be with Orton and all those draft picks back? I don't think Cutler got them where they were this year. A better offensive line, a wide receiver, some depth at corner? They would have been just fine with Orton who is way better than anyone has ever given him credit for.

I would agree that Orton is at least decent, but I don't think he's better than Cutler.

As long as we're talking hyptheticals.....how much better would Cutler have looked if he had the same group of receivers that Aaron Rodgers has? Given the lack of weapons he had, and how long it took the Bear O=line to get it together, I think saying that Cutler didn't get them there is at least debatable. It was mostly defense and special teams, but Cutler deserves some credit too.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm

c02
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Where would the Bears be with Orton and all those draft picks back? I don't think Cutler got them where they were this year. A better offensive line, a wide receiver, some depth at corner? They would have been just fine with Orton who is way better than anyone has ever given him credit for.

Maybe, but Orton may already be on his way out of Denver. The Bears' recent drafts have been miserable, which is why they need help at offensive line, wide receiver, and cornerback just for a start. One of Angelo's most recent high #1 picks was Chris Williams, the left tackle of the future who has been switched to guard. Unless Angelo can rebuild with multimillion dollar free agent contracts at all of those positions (like with Julius Peppers), I don't think significant improvement is likely.

But don't misunderstand; the fan dissatisfaction with Bears management and ownership is nothing new and a lot of it goes back to when Michael McCaskey, who comes off as a youngish C. Montgomery Burns, launched Ditka. If bitterness characterizes Bears fans, we revel in it at some level. Do we think Ditka could still coach? Hell, no, but he's entertaining and noisy, not unlike Chicago itself.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 pm

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Where would the Bears be with Orton and all those draft picks back?

From Peter King at SI:

Under Pressure

Jay Cutler, QB, Chicago.

It's always suspect to look at a trade and say a team could have had either this guy or these three draft choices. But now that the deal has had some time to breathe, and trusting that Bears GM Jerry Angelo would have navigated through the 2009 and '10 drafts to fill needs the Bears had in each draft, let's take a look.

Chicago traded the 18th and 84th picks in 2009 and the 11th pick in 2010, plus Kyle Orton, for Cutler and a fifth-round pick. With the 18th pick in '09, Chicago could have taken a left tackle of the future, which it didn't have, in Michael Oher, or a pass-rusher, which it lacked, in Clay Matthews. With the 84th pick, it could have taken a receiver (it took one 15 slots later, Juaquin Iglesias) like the one who was taken in that exact spot: Ole Miss speedster Mike Wallace. With the 11th pick in 2010, it could have taken the best guard/center available, either Maurkice Pouncey of Florida or Mike Iupati of Idaho.

We have no idea if those players were high on the Bears draft board, but Chicago sacrificed the rebuilding of the offensive line, at the very least, to trade for Cutler, and it's vital that at some point he prove it was a wise decision. There are very few times in a player's career that he'll have the kind of chance Cutler has now -- playing the conference championship game at home, with the winner, obviously, going to the Super Bowl.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Cutler is welcome to qb da bears forever speaking as one Packer fan. He does have a better than average arm. But he makes poor decisions on his feet, and during the battle he chokes. Long term, in big time games, he will suck. Sorry, no super bowls for the Bears with him at the helm. But at least they are used to it.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:44 pm

supaunknown wrote:Barkley on the criticism of Cutler:
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6057618

It may be inappropriate to question Cutler's heart by expecting him to continue playing with an injured knee, but I think it's fair game to criticize him for pouting on the sidelines, instead of supporting the other quarterbacks on his team.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 am

O.J. wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Barkley on the criticism of Cutler:
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6057618

It may be inappropriate to question Cutler's heart by expecting him to continue playing with an injured knee, but I think it's fair game to criticize him for pouting on the sidelines, instead of supporting the other quarterbacks on his team.

Maybe Cutler as cheerleader could fill the void left when Virginia McCaskey eliminated the Honey Bears cheerleaders in the 1980s.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 am

scratch wrote:Maybe Cutler as cheerleader could fill the void left when Virginia McCaskey eliminated the Honey Bears cheerleaders in the 1980s.

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.co ... ler_in.php
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm

How Farrior ducked the same fate is beyond me but I'm no NFL analyst.

Farrior Hit
c02
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking