MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 83.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Alan Colmes bites dust

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Alan Colmes bites dust

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm guessing Colmes is still alive, but you won't hear him on the radio in Madison anymore. Damn. The guy was intelligent and civil. He was replaced by Dennis Miller, who is intelligent and civil - until you start to catch-on to what a nasty prick he really is.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Alan Colmes bites dust

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 pm

As far as catching on to Dennis Miller's prickiness.....how many seconds did it take you? His smarmy smugness is so off-putting that his presence on the air is one of life's great mysteries.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I liked Dennis Miller for a while. He used to have a sidekick nicknamed "Sal", and their banter was entertaining. Dennis Miller knows a lot about movies and other cultural stuff.

I got turned off by his nasty view towards poorer people. In his world, people without health insurance are losers, "non-strivers" he calls them. Miller fancies himself a centrist because he often talks sweetly, but he is a hard right guy with a narrow world view.

You're right about the "swarmy" part, I can't stand to listen to him anymore. He is not funny, other than a ready knack for making himself laugh. He's aging badly. I'd more easily endure Rush Limbaugh.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:54 pm

More right-wing pundits on the air? That cursed ever present "left-wing media bias" rears its ugly head once again. :roll:

BTW, Dennis Miller knows culture like Cliff on Cheers. Is a bucket full of irrelevance ever in danger of overflowing?
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Kashka-Kat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Wha happened???????? Get Alan back!!! The news of the day plus the exuberant back and forth with the right wingers was so much more fun (and subsersive perhaps?) than the boring one sided yammering that goes on most talk radio.

Dennis Miller is LAME LAME LAME. God only knows what he’s going on about – lame rambling political opinions interspersed with name dropping of grade z has-been celebrities. There’s no there, there. I am utterly baffled at why he is on the air. At least with the other right wingers you can get something of an rage-a-holic adrenalin buzz going, if that's your thing.
Kashka-Kat

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Kashka-Kat wrote:Wha happened???????? Get Alan back!!! The news of the day plus the exuberant back and forth with the right wingers was so much more fun

Ya, I think Colmes might have the ONLY national radio show where people can call-in without being screened. They take all comers, give people a reasonable amount of time to make a case, and worthwhile discussions result from time to time.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 am

Sounds scintillating.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kashka-Kat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Yes indeed – unscreened calls, that is the key – all range of viewpoints ranging from reasonable to extremist, and a host that is willing to give the callers plenty of rope to hang themselves. Which they do with some regularity.

Apparently Fox/Clear Channel cancelled Wtdy’s contract – for no apparent reason except “because we can”. If an isolated incident I might not think twice, but in combination with Clear Channel planning to replace the early a.m. liberal talk on The Mic with the freakin Wall Street Journal.… I have to wonder.

Alan’s show, because he is (mostly) civil, can't be written off so easily as a flaming lunatic left... which in contrast really makes a lot of the Right look so …. well, ridiculous. Uninformed and irrational. He's not particularly far left but that he is actually directly talking to, and effectively countering the Right propaganda ... that's what's kinda subversive.

LOL at the Dennis Miller-Cliff Claven separated-at-birth connection. Hahah! They even both have that same full-of-themselves, self-congratulatory tone of voice.
Kashka-Kat

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Kashka-Kat wrote: Alan’s show, because he is (mostly) civil, can't be written off so easily as a flaming lunatic left... which in contrast really makes a lot of the Right look so …. well, ridiculous. Uninformed and irrational. He's not particularly far left but that he is actually directly talking to, and effectively countering the Right propaganda ... that's what's kinda subversive.

What you say is true, and I can't think of any other talk/pundit show on radio or TV that fills this role. Maybe Bill Maher? I'm finding Spitzer-Parker to be an intelligent news show, but that's different. I sometimes listen to Sly on local radio.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I just noticed that Alan Colmes is back on in Madison, 9PM to midnight on 92.1 Hip-hip-hurray

Mike Malloy is still there for an hour at 8PM. I guess a little suffering is good for the soul.

I see Kathleen Parker was trimmed from Parker-Spitzer. I thought she was very good, I suppose she got tired of playing assistant to prosecutor Eliot Spitzer. All in all, I think Spitzer's show remains the best news magazine on TV.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe