MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Two new restaurants on the West Side

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Two new restaurants on the West Side

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
LargeMarge wrote:The review states "Vegetarians who eat fish will survive here." Vegetarians who eat fish are not vegetarians. This is the second review in less than a year that made that mistake.

It may be galling to some, but the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (5th Ed.) does indeed allow for the flexibility of the English language in this case. It defines "vegetarian" as:

"A person who on principle abstains from animal food; esp. one who avoids meat but will consume dairy produce and eggs and sometimes also fish."

That strange that that version of the Oxford dictionary would say that when the OED online would state that vegetarianism is "The doctrine or practice of vegetarians; abstention from eating meat, fish, or other animal products."
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Regardless, the separation of fish from the term "meat" isn't new, and Linda's use of the phrase "vegetarians who eat fish" is neither unique nor a mistake--it's a distinction commonly made in colloquial English.

(For what it's worth, I'm on your side on this. Fish, poultry, game, beef, pork--it's all "meat" to me, and eating any of it means not observing a vegetarian diet. But language is an animal in the wild, and the quest to tame it is often fruitless.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

LargeMarge wrote:That strange that that version of the Oxford dictionary would say that...

My 4th Ed Shorter OED has the same definition as TBP's. It also says cf. vegan. I cf-ed, and found "A total vegetarian," which sounds amusingly informal for the OED when you read it with a "total tool" inflection.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 pm

:roll: Only in Madison will a conversation about vegetarianism arise amidst a conversation about late-night/after-bar fried-food like Harold's and a ghetto-ass chain like JJ's :!: :lol:
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Chicken, fish or insects?

Postby kulgar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 pm

The Dept of Agriculture and the FDA allow small percentages of "other matter" in foods and insects are one of the prime components of the gook that enters processed foods. Or even just in my raw sunflower seeds....

And that raises a question for my esteemed colleagues: can a vegetarian eat insects and still be a total vegetarian? I've never seen this topic broached before.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby cloudy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 pm

No.
cloudy
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews