MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

In my quest to add some action to the west-side...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

In my quest to add some action to the west-side...

Postby kissyfish » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:39 pm

section of the board, yet keep the tone somewhat west-sidish, and stuffy and all, I would like to question the current showing of BODIES at hilldale.

This is the show where they have the preserved bodies with skin and such removed, in odd poses, perhaps riding a skinless horse-corpse, perhaps holding their own preserved brain.

It seems in poor taste to have this exhibit at hilldale, or any shopping mall really.

I realize Jos Freed and Co are in some financial bad-times, but it changes the overall feel of the mall. I would be kind of mad to be quiznos, which is next to (I am guessing) the display.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: In my quest to add some action to the west-side...

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Imagine you're a Chinese prisoner!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=50376

(Not to pop your balloon or anything, but I think the "squeamish" factor is pretty weak sauce compared to larger issues. It's not like the display is in the hallway right outside Quizno's or anything. Now, if it were right outside, say, Hong Kong Wok--there's be some real trouble on Hilldale's hands.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

How many "Bodies...the Exhibition" shows are there? A friend tells me that there's also one on display in Cleveland right now, too.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am

Yes, there is one in Cleveland and...
Albuquerque
Atlanta
Brasil
Las Vegas
Here
New York
St Louis
Tulsa
Winnipeg

Source
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Right, how many Metcalf's shoppers want a gross anatomy lesson? Yuck. Honey, pick up some milk, bread, soup, and check out the veins on that body.

Or what about Macy's shoppers. Do these Jeans fit? It would help if you had less fat like that body on display there.

Should we take the kids to the toy store or the body exhibition?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Shorty wrote:Right, how many Metcalf's shoppers want a gross anatomy lesson? Yuck. Honey, pick up some milk, bread, soup, and check out the veins on that body.

Or what about Macy's shoppers. Do these Jeans fit? It would help if you had less fat like that body on display there.

Should we take the kids to the toy store or the body exhibition?

You have to buy tickets to get in. No ticket, no see any bodies. So, take the kids, but be prepared to pay for their ticket.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:05 am

I was just listening to the BBC last night, and the BODIES exhibit has been banned in France. Bear in mind there are many variations, but some of the knockoffs (there are a few now) are being accused of using unclaimed bodies from China, and/or executed criminal bodies from China. So I am not sure if it is ALL of them, or only some which have been banned.

I am not sure if this one is the banned one or not, but it is kind of a gross spectacle kind of thing, in my humble opinion.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

I went to a similar exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum a year or two ago. This was a different group - Bodyworlds - but a similar exhibit.

Before going I did some research about where the bodies came from as I did not want to go to something that included bodies of people that didn't give consent or, worse yet, were executed and then put on display. Bodyworlds came up clean in that all the bodies came from people excited about their bodies being used the way that they are. Bodies on the other hand seems to be a much more murky affair. It is pretty unclear where the bodies are coming from. Perhaps it's all legit but the risk of disrespecting the deceased that may not want their bodies in the display is enough for me to frown on the Bodies exhibit at Hilldale.

Both Bodyworlds and Bodies portray themselves as educational experiences. The group that I went with didn't find this to be the case. Any educational information accompanying the bodies was very minimal and never amounted to much more than you would find in a middle school science text book. What it is is a macabre art show at best and a modern day freak show at worst. Bodies skinned and then displayed in odd positions (one was wearing a fedora for God's sake.) is not done for education. It is done for shock value.

All of us left feeling more than a little bit dirty.

Putting this type of exhibit in a mall is in VERY poor taste in my opinion. It cheapens the lives of those on display even further than the already tasteless displays.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:50 pm

For the record, I am still mildly offended by this exhibit.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 pm

They are asking over $20 per person. That is a lot of money. I remember as a kid just seeing the cut up cadavers at the Field Museum in Chicago, used to upset me. No thanks I will not watch people put in poses. Someone is profiting off the dead. Nothing in it for them but notoriety for a minute.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby I_Am_Before_Names » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Instead of calling it BODIES they should call it EXECUTED CHINESE POLITICAL PRISONERS
I_Am_Before_Names

Postby Igor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 am

Of course it is in poor taste - but "pushing boundaries" and "cutting edge" in the arts have been kind of equated to "good" for the last 30 years or so. (maybe longer?) "If it offends those with whom I disagree, it must have value!"

Obviously, the thought that any/some/most of the people involved may not have consented makes it much worse...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am

So I see some Mummy exhibit is coming to, or is at, the Milwaukee Public Museum.

Are Mummies as offensive as Bodies?

Did the Mummies give their consent? Are you upset at the Milwaukee Public Museum making money from the dead?

Are you upset at Egypt for making money from the dead?

Did King Tut give his consent?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

I took a Chinese friend to the MKE museum a few weeks ago, and she wanted to see the mummies so in we went. The exhibition is run by a German group, so most of the mummies are held in German museums, where some of them have been for several hundred years. The general atmosphere of the exhibition was a bit annoying--before they let you in they lecture you about no pictures, no cell phones, speak quietly, all supposedly to show respect to the dead (as if the whole thing isn't little more than a sideshow with a frisson of science for respectability).

But the thing that actually did disturb me was this: they had several ancient Egyptian mummies (5,000 years ago or so) unwrapped, splayed out on their backs with some kind of platform supporting their bodies. All male. One of them had his penis extended, and supported in that position with its own little platform. No text or anything to explain what the deal was.

Yah, we tittered about that, figuring the exhibitors were trying a little too hard to exude scientificity in their pandering. But then, in the next part of the exhibition, there were 5-6 European mummies from the 19th century, people who had died in an epidemic and been buried en masse in a crypt, which then preserved their bodies. Two of the mummies were in the same position as the Egyptian ones, and naked--except for white cloths draped demurely across their loins. The other mummies were fully clothed.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Grave-robbing is called "archeology" when there are no relatives left to complain.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe