MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bring the Damn Hype Already

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Bring the Damn Hype Already

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Jesus - is everyone asleep at the switch or what?

In just a few scant days the motherfucking Packers are playing in the dadblasted Super Bowl. So where are the reams of slavering Foron hype?

This is bigger than Godzilla and the Second Coming in a three-way with Sarah Palin. This is the touchstone moment in all of human history. After this Sunday the very cosmos will realign into post-Euclidean geometries of unimaginable beauty and horror.

Plus there will be beer, and many salted snack foods. You have been warned.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bring the Damn Hype Already

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I don't know if the game against Chicago has totally worn off yet. I still haven't processed the idea of this "super" "bowl". Considering the team was 10-6 during the season I also never set my sights this high. You want to believe if your team gets in they can go the distance but the playoffs are tough and the team had lost some gimmies. The last lost at NE gave me some hope though. The Pitt D scares me more. It is possible the Packers can open up like Chicago and Atlanta. I think they can hold the lead but a close game down to the last possession hasn't always gone our way this and last season.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 pm

We are too busy hyping this APOCALYPTIC BLIZZARD that is bearing down upon us with the force of a frigid atomic blast. Seeing as how it NEVER snows in Wisconsin, this is OBVIOUSLY a much bigger deal than the world's most beloved football team going to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1997. At this rate, by Sunday we will all be trapped under a glacier with no TV reception anyway.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby hellogoodbye » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Marvell wrote:Plus there will be beer, and many salted snack foods. You have been warned.

Nice Smoove B sports tie in.

I'm a FIB and root for FIB teams but I too have been surprised by the lack of Packer craziness. Seriously Packer Fan, did you think it would be this quick to get back to the Superbowl in the post Favre era? I mean he just retir.... wait a second, Brett wants to play in the Superbowl.
hellogoodbye

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 pm

hellogoodbye wrote:Seriously Packer Fan, did you think it would be this quick to get back to the Superbowl in the post Favre era? I mean he just retir.... wait a second, Brett wants to play in the Superbowl.

Brett Musburger plays football?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Partly it's the two weeks between games. It sucks. The other thing was that the Bears game was just huge. Since we are in such close proximity, it would suck so much more if we'd lost to the Bears and then have to tolerate them lording it over us for probably decades.

Instead, they have to tolerate us lording it over THEM. Sweet.

People just don't have the same intense dislike of the Steelers. More like respect. It's just harder to get worked up when you don't hate your opponent.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 am

I'm still jazzed from the Pro Bowl. NFC, NFC, NFC! Ummmm.

Love the match up of Rodgers and Packer receivers against the Steelers DBs. Love the Packer D-line against the Steelers O-line, especially with Pouncey out (not sure if that is official yet but it seems likely). Pickett, Jenkins and Raji could have a huge game with pressure in the middle and Matthews coming from the edge. Oh boy. I'm putting it on those guys to bring back the trophy. I will make them as many chicken wings as they can eat in 60 minutes if they bring the trophy home.

BUT, Pittsburgh is tough and used to these kinds of games.

31-27, Packers.

Over/Under on amount of chicken wings Raji, Jenkins, Pickett and Matthews can eat in 60 minutes is 192 1/2. I'll take the over.

http://www.docsports.com/superbowlprops.html
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Logjam wrote:Love the Packer D-line against the Steelers O-line, especially with Pouncey out (not sure if that is official yet but it seems likely). Pickett, Jenkins and Raji could have a huge game with pressure in the middle and Matthews coming from the edge.

I think this is ultimately going to be the key to the game. If nothing else it should severely inhibit the Steelers' short passing game; the fullback and tight end will have to stay back to protect Roethlisberger, and you can forget about three or four wide receiver sets.

I think we still have to worry about getting burned on the deep ball; Big Ben is second in the league only to our own beloved A-Rod in the quality of his deep passes, and frankly I expect we'll get torched at least once. But I also expect that the Pack's ball-hawking ways on defense will also come through in the form of some serious sacking, stopping in the backfield, spectacular intercepting, and just general Green Bay-style mayhem.

My prediction? It'll be a close one, but the Pack prevail 24-20.

Then I go totally batshit and end up in the drunk tank or the morgue.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Marvell wrote:Then I go totally batshit and end up in the drunk tank or the morgue.

Shoot for the drunk tank. The paper pants at the morgue tend to ride a little high in the crotch, though your miles may vary.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 pm

The weather here and the weather there has made this the leas-hyped Super Bowl in recent memory. Based on hearing observations from sportswriters, they're bored beyond belief in Big D because all the bars and restaurants have been closed and since they're all deathly afraid of setting out on their own in icy streets, they're limited to shuttles between media hotel, team hotel, stadium.

Jerry Jones must be hating this. Why not have the thing in Green Bay? At least the bars would stay open.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Can we talk about this James Harrison joker? Seems he isn't on board with all the "new" rules and can't seem to play "his" game without numerous fines. First off the rules aren't new. Spearing, which is what Harrison calls tackling, has always been illegal. I wonder if the guy can tackle without using the crown of his helmet. According to him he can't so maybe he should retire or at least take some time off to learn how to tackle. I guarantee any dirty hits to Mr. Rodgers will be met with serious consequences. If it throws off his "game" then so be it. His game is the problem not the rules.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Here is a nice story out of Dallas this week:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pan ... rtage.html

Did they think of talking to Michael Irvin or Nate Newton? Those guys could probably help them out.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking