MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers vs. Steelers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who wins?

Packers
92%
Steelers
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: Packers vs. Steelers

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

You can't argue with that. Thanks for sharing your warped world view now if you'll excuse I'm going to go take some 'roids and beat the wife. Between handfuls of junk food of course. Junk food paid for with tax dollars no doubt.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm

I seem to remember something about a cyclist or 20 getting caught juicing. What kind of role models are they? You should go ask the city of Green Bay how much they waste every year in tax dollars on the Packers and what kind of economic impact they get in return. No doubt Green Bay would be better off without all those damn Packer fans clogging up the hotels and shopping centers and bars. The NFL machine is the only machine that doesn't take players until 3 years after high school and 6 foot 5 340 isn't something any kid has ever destroyed his body trying to emulate.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm

fisticuffs wrote:...and 6 foot 5 340 isn't something any kid has ever destroyed his body trying to emulate.

really? I disagree.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Crockett wrote:
jman111 wrote:Crockett, do feel the same way about sports in general, or just football?

Mostly NFL. Kids look up to these morons and ruin their bodies and brains trying to emulate them. Husbands beat their wives after getting 'fired up' watching grown men in tights beat each other. People overeat and drink too much while spending inordinate amounts of time on their couches watching advertising to get them to buy more TVs and to eat more junk food.

Throw rampant steroid use into the mix along with wasted tax dollars and you have the current state of the NFL and its followers.

Its the national religion of the US and its tenants are not ones to which I subscribe. Look at the modern-day 'cathedrals' in cities, you'll find stadium houses of worship.

If that makes me a 'snob' then so be it.

Oikophobia is the most predictable form of snobbery in existence. Loving any sport but football is the post-college version of loving any kind of music in the world as long as its not on the radio.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Most of the national press hype I've read has been pro-Packer. And the oddsmakers currently have the Pack favored by 2 measly points. Of course all this hype has me worried - my sense of Packer invincibility in Super Bowls was shattered after the loss to the Broncos in '98.
I think the Packers have better speed. It's the veteran, playoff experienced, ultra-physical Pittsburgh D I'm worried about. Those guys are tough as nails. I suspect the Packers are going to spread the field, move guys around, and try to throw the ball a lot. This could expose Rodgers to a ton of hits. I wouldn't put it past LeBeau to mercilessly send the house early & often to try knocking Rodgers out of the game. Matt Flynn has to be ready if called upon. And the Packer running backs and tight ends better read their blitz blocking assignments correctly.
No prediction here. Just a "Go-Pack-Go!".

Would it be too much to ask of the DPF football haters to go fuck off somewhere else until next week? I hear someone's producing a play about poisoning Jesus or something ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 pm

supaunknown wrote:Most of the national press hype I've read has been pro-Packer. And the oddsmakers currently have the Pack favored by 2 measly points. Of course all this hype has me worried - my sense of Packer invincibility in Super Bowls was shattered after the loss to the Broncos in '98.
I think the Packers have better speed. It's the veteran, playoff experienced, ultra-physical Pittsburgh D I'm worried about. Those guys are tough as nails. I suspect the Packers are going to spread the field, move guys around, and try to throw the ball a lot. This could expose Rodgers to a ton of hits. I wouldn't put it past LeBeau to mercilessly send the house early & often to try knocking Rodgers out of the game. Matt Flynn has to be ready if called upon. And the Packer running backs and tight ends better read their blitz blocking assignments correctly.
No prediction here. Just a "Go-Pack-Go!".

Agreed, agreed, agreed. I absolutely expect a violent Steelers defense. This will lead to a moment of clarity about three of our offensive players: Rodgers, Bulaga and Starks (in order of priority). Rodgers we can count on the most but this game will be the big test and Bulaga will be part of the reason he'll have so much to worry about. Starks might have a great game but all we need from him is a truly half-decent game to bring our odds over 50% - the main question will be if he fumbles the ball once he becomes a target. The Steelers know we're going to run him and if I were the Steelers I would be seeing the opportunity to strip the ball or cause a fumble from a green player. Bulaga, as we know, has improved his penalty inducing error rate over the last five games. But we know its an effort for him that takes a little bit out of his game and the Steelers have a few defensive players I don't want to see him blocking.

Rodgers importance is quite obvious but I point to these three players as the "deciders" of our offensive prospects in this game. The Steelers defense is good but if we can count on them we can count on the game. We've seen Rodgers dodge some of the best defenses in the league, and on a consistent basis he goes beyond avoiding the sack, beyond getting rid of the ball, and completes the pass. The one thing I learned from the Bears game is that he does not play well when he's pissed off. He got that helmet to helmet hit in the 2nd half and people were like "is it a concussion?" To me it was obvious - the Bears, realizing they couldn't outplay him, resorted to dirty tactics, helmet hit, bloody lip. It was like watching the very instant he learned to truly "hate" the Bears, but it did not help the game.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Crockett wrote:Husbands beat their wives after getting 'fired up' watching grown men in tights beat each other.

I'm weary of this false claim.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/superbowl.asp

Anyway, Packers win in a high scoring game.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Pack, 23-20.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Maybe travel has made me lose interest in national sports of any kind. Where ever you are at It always ends up with a group of millionaires going home with a pocket full of money. It doesn't matter they may not have a clue who the Green Bay packers are but they have their own version of the packers, entertaining them in the same way, believing that they are the greatest thing in the universe in the same way and unknown outside of their countries borders in the same way.
persia
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Much has been made of the Steelers running game with Mendenhall. Much as also made of the Falcons running game and Turner....not a factor then, so hopefully the Steeler rushing game won't play a huge role this game.

I tend to be pessimistic about my favorite team's chances. Then I remember which team hasn't trailed in a game by more than 7 all year. And which team was really battle-tested while winning 3 straight road games to get here.

And Mason Crosby is due for that game-winning field goal. 34-31 Packers.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Stomach wrote:
Crockett wrote:Husbands beat their wives after getting 'fired up' watching grown men in tights beat each other.

I always liked that little canard from the 90's. It was a little more edgy than the 80's one about the water pressure in municipalities going down due to everybody using the bathroom during halftime.

But that's nowhere near as edgy as today's The-Packers-better-win-or-we're-ALL-GONNA-DIE!!!!!11!!!!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 am

gargantua wrote:Much has been made of the Steelers running game with Mendenhall. Much as also made of the Falcons running game and Turner....not a factor then, so hopefully the Steeler rushing game won't play a huge role this game.

I think Mendenhall is much more of a threat. Turner can be contained by gang tackling, hitting him low. Not easy, but a matter of determination, discipline. Mendenhall is both powerful and an elusive focker, he can make people miss and take it to the house. The D coordinator has much more to worry about.

I believe Mendenhall is the big key. If the Packers can keep him in check, they win. The Packer O is going to put up points on turf if they get the ball often enough.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am

nevermore wrote:
Stomach wrote:

I always liked that little canard from the 90's. It was a little more edgy than the 80's one about the water pressure in municipalities going down due to everybody using the bathroom during halftime.

But that's nowhere near as edgy as today's The-Packers-better-win-or-we're-ALL-GONNA-DIE!!!!!11!!!!

Although proven false in terms of the Superbowl there is data to back up the claims of abuse rising during a football Sunday when there are upsets.

Not that Crock was actually aware of said data given his/her deafening response(s) retorting his/her initial claim. He/She just kind of dumbled into that one.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 am

Bludgeon wrote: Loving any sport but football is the post-college version of loving any kind of music in the world as long as its not on the radio.

Yes, domestic abuse, steroid use among our children and sloth = some Grateful Dead bootlegs.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

"It's estimated that nearly 10,000 prostitutes, including children, were sent to Miami last year to meet the Super Bowl demand."

"This year Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has predicted similar numbers in Arlington, calling the Super Bowl "a magnet for prostitution and human trafficking."

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32105
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking