MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Let Me In

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Let Me In

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 am

I intended to see this vampire flick in the theaters but never got around to it. It's the American remake of the Swedish film, "Let the Right One In," and as remakes go I'd say they did a wonderful job. The director (Matt Reeves, "Cloverfield") was clearly a fan of the original, trying to capture the signature loneliness and desperation but giving it enough changes to make it his own.

Essentially, "Let Me In" is kind of an anti-Twilight. There's nothing glamorous about this young vampire, played by Chloe Moretz (famous for her role as Hitgirl in "Kick-Ass"). When Abby and her murderous assistant take up residence in a filthy apartment next door to Owen (played by Kodi Smit-McPhee of "The Road") the two tweens form a bond which at first seems like young romance and later seems entirely more sinister.

The film is rather dark and dirty, lending a sense of realism to a world of fantasy. Virtually everyone in the movie is shown in some sympathetic light, even the school bully who regularly torments Owen. The movie is bloody and violent but seems almost elegant in its delivery. A one sentence synopsis: Harry Potter collides with "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Definitely worth a rental.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Let Me In

Postby rrnate » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:35 am

I really loved the Swedish movie - if you've seen that a couple times, is it still worth watching the remake?

Also - I did like Cloverfield, more than I thought I would, though the ending felt like kind of a let down.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 am

If you liked the Swedish film then chances are very good that you'll like the American version. The director definitely pays tribute to the most memorable scenes from the original by leaving them virtually unchanged. There are some small plot changes, but none of them worthy of griping about.

I have the original on Blu-Ray, and I have every intention of buying this one too. Like "Let the Right One In," it's almost so well done that you forget it's a horror film.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 am

pjbogart wrote:If you liked the Swedish film then chances are very good that you'll like the American version.

I loved Let the Right One In. It's on my long list of favorite movies. I'll watch the remake if it comes my way on cable, but I'm not in a hurry to see it.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby R1zbear » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am

I have the original on Blu-Ray

Return to Movies