MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers vs. Steelers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who wins?

Packers
92%
Steelers
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: Packers vs. Steelers

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:47 am

Crockett wrote:
Bludgeon wrote: Loving any sport but football is the post-college version of loving any kind of music in the world as long as its not on the radio.

Yes, domestic abuse, steroid use among our children and sloth = some Grateful Dead bootlegs.

Don't be hormonal. Demand for sports exists - there is some ancient, primal need for this kind of stage - its a safe atmosphere for our barbaric side to exorcise itself, kind of a ritual cleansing. You want to change human nature? Become a Jehovah's Witness, oh wait you already have.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:57 am

Football is war with less bloodshed while war is football with more bloodshed.

-adapted
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 am

wsj wrote:Packers fans streamed into Dallas on Friday, many bearing stories of winter travel treachery they thought they might safely leave behind when heading south.
But a winter storm hit Dallas with ferocity Thursday night and the region awoke Friday to snow on the ground, ice on the roads and uncertainty about how to handle it.
"We're not used to this stuff down here," said Dallas resident Jennifer Zarate. "I don't even think we have plows."

Sign from the gods? The Packers head to Dallas and they bring the hell-storm with them. I have a good feeling about tomorrow...
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

You know, they do have snow and winter and stuff in Pittsburgh too.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Well, mojo is not an exact science. I just have a good feeling. Who knows we might end up lamenting the results. The Steelers weakness in the Super Bowl might resemble the Patriots weakness in the playoffs. The Pats strolled onto the field as if the game were already won, they got caught off guard despite all their preparation. The Steelers are doing this for the third time in six years - that advantage could end up being an Achilles heel. The Steelers are coming into a game where face it nobody thinks they have anything they need to prove, they are great marauders, but the Steelers may end up being the Fat Elvis of this particular championship...

I think we are looking at a GB team that knows what its capable of - Pittsburgh played the Jets for the AFC Championship and they did a good job. We played the Jets on their own field without a lot of starters and NY failed to score a single point.

I know its snowing outside the dome but I like our matchups on the field in the dome environment. I think the biggest mismatch is in our favor: GB's receivers vs. PB's secondary. Its true we will be a lot better off if we can get even 60 yards of rushing but the truth is PB's secondary would still be at a disadvantage even if we didn't have a running back. Jones - Jennings - Driver - Nelson - Kuhn - Quarless - Jackson - Starks... Steelers will have a hard time pressuring Rodgers with all these options in this environment. I believe Rodgers has the best record of any quarterback in the league when playing in a dome.
Last edited by Bludgeon on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Even the BBC has their say.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Even the BBC has their say.

The article, quoting Aaron Rodgers:
"Pittsburgh have a great defence."

Leave your British English out of our American Football quarterbacks' mouths!!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:21 pm

At least they said that the Packers are favourites.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 pm

You know, you have to hand it to the Steelers. To have three turnovers, compared to none for you opponent, and still have a chance to win the game in the final minutes is truly impressive.

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers. You may have come up short on this effort, but it wasn't for lack of effort. You played in one of the greatest Superbowls ever played and I suspect Pittsburgh fans are very proud of their team, despite coming home without the trophy.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:05 pm

That game was driving me to drink. And not in a good way.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 pm

HeyZeus wrote:That game was driving me to drink. And not in a good way.

Yeah, but now you are drunk, and posting to TPDF. Things work out, sometimes.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 am

It was a decent game. But I started feeling blue when Woodson got smashed out of the game. Then when Shields missed most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters the Steelers really started moving the ball. Collins went into the locker room with severe cramps at half time.

I don't like games decided by injuries - although when the injuries happen to the other team I'm better able to keep a stiff upper lip. For a while there, I thought the packers were goners.

If the Packer receivers hadn't dropped so many balls, it might have been a blow-out.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 am

Huckleby wrote:If the Packer receivers hadn't dropped so many balls, it might have been a blow-out.

No doubt. The young crop of receivers kept on deftly beating coverage, but had dropsie problems.

Jennings, on the other hand, the pride of Kalamazoo Central and WMU, was clutch. Four receptions, but three were HUGE. Two TDs and that 31-yd grab, just when the game could've gone the other way. I know you're "supposed" to pick QBs mostly for MVP, but heck if Jennings didn't save the Pack.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:24 am

If you are going to single out a reciever for back slaps, it's got to be Jordie Nelson. He dropped between 1 and 3 balls, depending on how you see them. But he was the man.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking